PDA

View Full Version : Table Saw Purchase

Chris Wdowiak
03-07-2017, 1:32 PM
I am looking to buy a table saw from thisiswoodworking.com but cannot find any reviews from others who have purchased from this site. Any offers of advice would be great to a new wood worker.

I want to take advantage of the 10% off of the laguna table saw. the sale ends 3/15.

Thank you in advance for your words of wisdom.

Mark Furjanic
03-07-2017, 2:03 PM
I bought my Laguna dust collector from them and just ordered a Jet jointer/ planer from them this past weekend. Nothing but positive experience so far. It may take a couple weeks for you to get your saw, it's probably drop shipped from Laguna but they're good to go in my experience.

Ben Rivel
03-07-2017, 2:19 PM
Why them exactly?

Chris Hachet
03-07-2017, 2:26 PM
They are local and very good people. Probably the most ethical and decent people I have done business with, ever.

That being said, I would take a grizzly 1023 over the Laguna in question in terms of actual saws, I feel it is a better value.

scott spencer
03-07-2017, 2:27 PM
Are you going to get the Fusion or the Platinum saw?

If you are looking at the Fusion, the Jet Proshop models sport a nearly identical design under the hood. The benefit of going with the Jet over the Fusion is the fence....the Fusion fence uses a two-piece aluminum rail, while the Proshop has a one-piece tubular steel rail.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y203/hewood/Saws/Lagunafence_zps1b4afe38.jpg

If you have 220v, I also agree with Chris Hatchet. The G1023RL is a 3hp industrial cabinet saw that's simply in a class above the Fusion or Proshop, and isn't much more money, if any.

Food for thought....

Chris Wdowiak
03-07-2017, 4:43 PM
I was looking at going with the Fusion, but I will look at the Jet Proshop models. Currently I do not have 220v in my garage shop.

Van Huskey
03-07-2017, 5:30 PM
That site is Wood Werks in Columbus Ohio, solid store with a long time brick and mortar behind it. No worries.

Van Huskey
03-07-2017, 5:32 PM
I was looking at going with the Fusion, but I will look at the Jet Proshop models. Currently I do not have 220v in my garage shop.

The Jet also has a 5 year warranty vs 1 for Laguna and Grizzly if that matters to you.

Chris Hachet
03-07-2017, 10:16 PM
I was looking at going with the Fusion, but I will look at the Jet Proshop models. Currently I do not have 220v in my garage shop.Southern California has some weird code and insurance requirements, but adding 220 is pretty simple.

Chris Hachet
03-07-2017, 10:18 PM
That site is Wood Werks in Columbus Ohio, solid store with a long time brick and mortar behind it. No worries.I have been buying from them for something like twenty plus years. They have had the same employees forever FWIW.

Mason Truelove
03-08-2017, 2:32 AM
Have you bought it already?

Greg Parrish
03-08-2017, 5:38 AM
Ordered a Laguna 18/36 lathe from them a few days ago due to sale price. Status shows it is pending drop ship from Laguna. Like you I wasn't sure about the site until I figured out it was a brick and mortar store called wood werks in Ohio with good reviews.

Good od luck on the saw choice. :)

Brian Tymchak
03-08-2017, 8:30 AM
Ordered a Laguna 18/36 lathe from them a few days ago due to sale price. Status shows it is pending drop ship from Laguna. Like you I wasn't sure about the site until I figured out it was a brick and mortar store called wood werks in Ohio with good reviews.

Good od luck on the saw choice. :)

Excellent business. My woodworking home, so to speak, as they are about 2 miles from my home. I'm in there at least once a month. Great bunch of people.

Chris Wdowiak
03-08-2017, 12:45 PM
I plan on ordering it on Monday as I will be in NYC the week of the 20th and want it to arrive when I get back after the 25th. I wonder if I can tell them to ship after I get back?

Chris Hachet
03-08-2017, 12:47 PM
I plan on ordering it on Monday as I will be in NYC the week of the 20th and want it to arrive when I get back after the 25th. I wonder if I can tell them to ship after I get back?

I do not see a problem at all with that....

Chris Wdowiak
03-08-2017, 12:49 PM
With me being in So Cal I know a few of the guys over at Laguna. Actually bought from them their Revo 10-16 Lathe for half price. I just had to go to their office to pick it up. It was a floor model. They are giving me another deal on the saw too if I want, $975, but I would have to go pick it up and figure out a way to get it home. Also I would only get a 90 day warranty with it. For $175 more, I get the warranty and delivery.

Chris Hachet
03-09-2017, 8:51 AM
With me being in So Cal I know a few of the guys over at Laguna. Actually bought from them their Revo 10-16 Lathe for half price. I just had to go to their office to pick it up. It was a floor model. They are giving me another deal on the saw too if I want, $975, but I would have to go pick it up and figure out a way to get it home. Also I would only get a 90 day warranty with it. For $175 more, I get the warranty and delivery.

Probably worth it.

Greg Parrish
03-09-2017, 9:49 AM

It should be drop shipped which means a transport freight company is going to have to call you to make arrangements to deliver it. You should be able to schedule with them for a delivery date that is a few days or a week or so out without problem. I'm going to be doing the same on my end I'm sure. Although my shipping status still shows "Pending Drop Shipment" so I'm assuming it hasn't actually left Laguna yet if the shipping status on Wood Werks is accurate.

Chris Wdowiak
03-09-2017, 11:21 AM
That is good to hear. I know I will have a place in my garage for it, but who know what my wife will tell the delivery driver if he was to show up. Just better that I be there...LOL

Robert Willing
03-09-2017, 3:29 PM
Just bought a Saw-stop contractor saw to replace my General International, too many TS accidents in the past two years.
First index finger, now tip of my thumb down to the bone. The saw and mobile stand will be here sometime this week.

Chris Wdowiak
03-10-2017, 11:32 AM
I did have one other question. I was planning on setting up the table saw on a HTC 2000 Universal Mobile Base. I have it left over from my old table saw. I just need to adjust it for the Laguna. Will this base work?

Chris Hachet
03-10-2017, 12:00 PM
Just bought a Saw-stop contractor saw to replace my General International, too many TS accidents in the past two years.
First index finger, now tip of my thumb down to the bone. The saw and mobile stand will be here sometime this week.

Enjoy the new saw!

Chris Wdowiak
03-10-2017, 12:48 PM
Well I pulled the trigger this morning and ordered the Laguna Fusion. Maybe I will get lucky since I live in Southern California that I can get it by next Friday. I am going to put it on a HTC 2000 Universal Mobile Base. I think it should fit.

Chris Wdowiak
04-01-2017, 7:57 PM
Well my table saw came yesterday. I bought the Laguna Fusion table saw 1 3/4 110vt. Watched all the video on how to put it together and fine tune it. I am happy with it and it fits my needs. It out cuts my old Craftsman table saw. Looking forward to many years of use.