PDA

View Full Version : Epilog startup problem

Bob Davis
03-07-2017, 11:09 AM
Hi,
After many years of faithful service my Epilog Helix (45w) is having a problem on startup. In common with many electrical problems the fault is eratic; sometimes it happens and sometimes it doesn't.
On activating the power switch the machine will briefly start the fans and then die. A PC and printers on the same circuit may also turn off at this point but can be restarted without issue.
Retrying the Epilog will usually start the machine and it will run without problem. Or else nothing will happen when I flick the switch, but then it will start OK the next time. All cables appear to be securely attached.
It's only happened a few times over a couple of days but it looks like there is something amiss. Does this sound like a power supply that's on it's way out? Something even more serious?

Any insights appreciated.

Chris DeGerolamo
03-07-2017, 11:24 AM
Try powering your laser on another circuit? It hardly sounds like a problem with the Epilog since your PC and printer are [sometimes] being affected. Maybe seasonal changes are to blame, affecting circuit load??

John Noell
03-07-2017, 3:41 PM
If it is the laser causing the problems, I'd suspect the power supply.

Kev Williams
03-08-2017, 1:24 AM
You may have a circuit breaker going bad. Like Chris sez, try plugging into a different circuit and see if that stops the nonsense...

Bob Davis
03-08-2017, 11:12 PM
Thanks to everyone who made a suggestion, or even gave the problem a bit of consideration.
It seems to have cleared itself up at present...At least until it happens again.

Joe Pelonio
03-09-2017, 9:33 PM
Glad it's working again, but I would suspect something else on that circuit was on at the same time, like a furnace, perhaps, microwave oven, or refrigerator. Just enough overload to cause problems but not to kick the breaker.