PDA

View Full Version : Uh oh - Laguna 18/36

Greg Parrish
03-06-2017, 6:49 PM
So I have this new Laguna 18/36 on order and awaiting drop ship from Laguna and it just sort of hit me like a Mack truck that I'm not sure where the heck I'm gonna fit it in to the shop. LOL

how much space do you bowl turners leave around the 3 sides? I'm thinking maybe put the headstock side towards the wall but am not sure.

I mean I literally just finished redoing my shop layout and dust piping. Sheesh. :eek:

John Keeton
03-06-2017, 7:02 PM
Greg, I have my Laguna close to the wall on the headstock end, with the headstock moved toward the tail just a bit. This allows me to use the knockout bar. I have probably 30" behind the lathe so that I can turn from that side if needed and also sweep the floor.

Congrats on the lathe, BTW.

Greg Parrish
03-06-2017, 7:07 PM
Greg, I have my Laguna close to the wall on the headstock end, with the headstock moved toward the tail just a bit. This allows me to use the knockout bar. I have probably 30" behind the lathe so that I can turn from that side if needed and also sweep the floor.

Congrats on the lathe, BTW.

Thanks John. The only other option I've contemplated is placing the lathe against the roll up door and using the door open for access to back of the lathe. However that is less ideal in poor weather or hot days when I prefer to keep the air conditioned air inside.

Just an FYI I plan to totally plagiarize your ballast box and drawer setup. :)

Don Jarvie
03-06-2017, 7:15 PM
I have my PM 3520 against the wall with 2 ft to the left and its higher than the bench to the right. It's rare that I would need to go on the right side of the lathe. I could pull it out if necessary.

John K Jordan
03-06-2017, 8:49 PM
I have my PM 3520 against the wall with 2 ft to the left and its higher than the bench to the right. It's rare that I would need to go on the right side of the lathe. I could pull it out if necessary.

Same here. I always put my lathes fairly close to the wall which keeps everything I use the most within arm's reach. I have no trouble turning bowls. If I find an advantage to working on the other side I just run the lathe in reverse and make my cuts on the "back" side.

I guess it depends on what you get used to.

I know some people who allow space on one side and one end and slide the headstock all the way down (or turn it around). Others use a mobile base to move it if needed, or better, jack, dolly, and roll.

JKJ

Russell Neyman
03-07-2017, 9:02 AM
I have room for it in my shop.