PDA

View Full Version : Anyone using the Freud Dial-A-Width Dado?

Allen Bookout
10-15-2005, 10:56 PM
I did a search but did not find any recent information. I am thinking about the Freud SD600 Dial-A-Width Dado. Does it work as advertised and what is the quality compaired to other top brands?

I think that the SD500 should be just as good but it seems to me that for 50 more bucks the SD600 would be a lot less trouble for minor adjustments. From what I see the SD200, 300 and 400 do not have the 3/32 chipper that allows the 1/32 adjustment for undersize wood without using shims.

I know that it will not fit all saws but I found on another site that if you have an abor that is 1 3/32 plus 1 3/16 between the inner flange and the inside of the nut that it can be used full width. I have not measured mine yet but I am using a Delta Uni saw so I do not think that I will have any problems. Will measure later. I hope that information that I found is correct. I could not find the info on the Freud web site.

Any comments?

Thanks! Allen

John Miliunas
10-15-2005, 11:15 PM
Allen, I can't comment for certain in regards to the fit on your Unisaw but, I'd be willing to bet it's fine. I have the Dial-A-Width and it fits great on my Bridgewood. It's also a fine dado set. Your idea of it being less hassle than using shims is right on. I found that, with the often varying thicknesses of sheet-goods, in particular, it does a super job. You can get tight and, I do mean tight fits using it! Nice flat bottoms, though one thing which annoys me just a trifle is, at the very outer edges, there is the very slightest deeper penetration into the dado. When I asked about this, I was informed that's primarily due to the way the teeth are positioned in order to minimize tearout at the edges of the dado. True enough, tearout really is minimized, though I also use ZC inserts on the saw, which I imagine also helps. I have heard that, when some people send theirs in for sharpening, they request those teeth also be ground for a completely even cut. I don't usually mind it, as most of my dado work does not leave that joint exposed and it also leaves a smidgen of room for excess glue.:) :cool:

Jim McCarty
10-15-2005, 11:27 PM
I have a Unisaw and the Freud Dial a Width dado and it fits just fine. The quality of the dado is excellent with no splintering and flat bottoms and easy adjustability. You'll love it. Jim:)

Dan Forman
10-16-2005, 6:25 AM
I have the 8" dial unit, works fine on my left tilt Unisaw. If you have a left tilt, you will first have to take the thing apart and convert it from right tilt, but that's easy. It works quite well, nice flat bottoms with no splintering. It got top honors in a recent review in Fine WoodWorking, sorry, cant remember the issue #. I think you will be pleased.

Dan

Allen Bookout
10-16-2005, 1:22 PM
Thanks Guys! Looks like a quality product from what you have said. It is always good to hear from actual users instead of relying on reviews.

Allen

Gil Mitchell
10-16-2005, 7:06 PM
I love mine

Everette Harmon
10-16-2005, 9:24 PM
Just bought the SD608 on Amazon for $189.00. I thought this was a great deal.
Everette

Allen Bookout
10-16-2005, 9:41 PM
Everette

That is the best price by far that I have seen. Thanks for the information!

Allen