PDA

View Full Version : New tool cabinet

Malcolm Schweizer
03-06-2017, 11:47 AM
I found this mahogany cabinet at "Reuse Emporium," a place where folks unload stuff they don't want on consignment. I got two of these for $32 each. I plan to put a saw till on the left, and planes on the right. I bought two 24" LED lights- one inside and the other outside the cabinet to light my work table. The inside light acts as a dehumidifier by slightly heating the air, and also acts as a light to help me find the shop light switch at night, which is not in the most convenient location and I really don't feel like moving it. I have to walk through the shop to get to the switch.

The case has Glass front and side. I would have preferred two small doors to one large one, but ya get what ya get, and this is what I got. Second photo shows the light in the place I want to put it inside.

Chris Hachet
03-06-2017, 12:29 PM
Methinks a woodworker I know who uses your workshop could fabricate a couple of doors...nice find!

Malcolm Schweizer
03-06-2017, 1:02 PM
Yes, but I love this mahogany, and hate to waste it. I will just use it as-is. Eventually, if... um... I mean WHEN I get the house next door for a larger shop, then both cabinets will go side-by-side over the work table and across from the workbench. Right now the wall has a door and window and therefore only one fits. Missed it by 1.5 inches of fitting both.

Malcolm Schweizer
03-06-2017, 1:56 PM
Trying out the light. I like it. This is what I need when I walk into the shop at night to get one thing and just need a little light. Hopefully this will keep the tools dry and happy.

Jim Koepke
03-06-2017, 2:02 PM
Trying out the light. I like it. This is what I need when I walk into the shop at night to get one thing and just need a little light. Hopefully this will keep the tools dry and happy.

Does the LED fixture actually produce much heat?

jtk

Malcolm Schweizer
03-06-2017, 2:14 PM
355480Test fit. I want to build two "ramps"; one top one bottom, and have two rows of planes. Saws and bronze LN planes visible through window.

Malcolm Schweizer
03-06-2017, 2:15 PM
Does the LED fixture actually produce much heat?

jtk

No different from one of those metal rod things they sell for reducing humidity. It's plugged up and testing now.

Malcolm Schweizer
03-06-2017, 4:38 PM
Results are in. The LED light unit gets slightly warm to the touch and the air in the cabinet slightly warmer than outside the cabinet. I'm happy.

Kesh Ikuma
03-07-2017, 1:20 PM
>> LED light dehumidifier

Oh this is a great idea! I'm currently building my tool cabinet as well and getting proper humidity control was one of my goals of the build. Having a light fixture sure is a lot more attractive than a bucket of silica desiccant!

>> Does the LED fixture actually produce much heat?

LEDs probably don't produce much heat themselves but the AC-DC converter in the fixture should (as already experimentally proven by Malcolm)

Jim Koepke
03-07-2017, 7:36 PM
Results are in. The LED light unit gets slightly warm to the touch and the air in the cabinet slightly warmer than outside the cabinet. I'm happy.

Sounds good. Not sure it reduces the humidity as much as keeping the ambient temperature of the tools warm so the moisture doesn't condense on their surface. I think that is how the Golden Rods work. They actually will get a surface temp of about 150ºF.

jtk

Joe A Faulkner
03-07-2017, 10:56 PM
Nice find. I'm looking forward to seeing the cabinets once you've retrofitted them. I think they will look great in the shop and function very nicely as tool cabinets.

Christopher Charles
03-07-2017, 11:57 PM
Nice find! The light is a great idea and will provide an inviting glow.

Malcolm Schweizer
03-28-2017, 3:50 PM
Here she is in all her glory. This was the WORST project I have done in many years- holes drilled in wrong places, poor planning with my layout, wood split because apparently I didn't predrill deep enough- just tons of amateur mistakes. I even cut a shelf 1/8" too narrow. I had a lot on my mind and really was not focused. I should have waited until my head was clear. Lesson learned. Well- the planes hide all the mistakes and it looks great filled with toys. I shall dub it the "Toy Box." The led light works perfect and will stay on as a nightlight and dehumidifier. There is also an under cabinet light that is off in the pics.

Sorry- pics posted sideways. Saw till needs a lip to hold saws and so does the bottom shelf. I wanted to test fit before I did that.

Andy Nichols
03-28-2017, 7:57 PM
Really like the looks of the glass, light and Mahogany, outstanding job....

Use all LED light setup for the same reason, keeps the temp up when the doors are closed, mine has high/low setting, but it works fine on low. My cabinet was also a 2nd hand conversion, no sense wasting a decent cabinet.

BTW Got the idea from the Goldenrod for my gun safe, it works under the same principle, keeps the temp up 3-4 degrees...

Andy357100

Malcolm Schweizer
03-28-2017, 9:37 PM
Really like the looks of the glass, light and Mahogany, outstanding job....

Use all LED light setup for the same reason, keeps the temp up when the doors are closed, mine has high/low setting, but it works fine on low. My cabinet was also a 2nd hand conversion, no sense wasting a decent cabinet.

BTW Got the idea from the Goldenrod for my gun safe, it works under the same principle, keeps the temp up 3-4 degrees...

Andy357100

That looks great, Andy. I think we had the same idea of letting the planes overlap- only I did it at the top and you did it at the bottom. When I got the cabinet I thought it was too deep, but in the end it was perfect.