PDA

View Full Version : Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments

Dennis Peacock
03-05-2017, 11:52 PM
06 Mar 2017

Good Morning Everyone,
I figured that I post before I start my next oncall week. No real woodworking this weekend but I did cook for the LOML, the MIL, friends that came over, and the LOML Jr and her hubby. This week, I prepared Zuppa Toscana and Rustic Crusty Bread. My first attempt at making bread but it turned out really well. Everyone said that both items were a "do again", so I'm adding it to my list of things that are "do again" recipes.

Woodworking wise, I have a few things coming down the pipe but still on hold for the moment. Still working out at the local gym each week and the LOML is still attending and working out with me.

That's it for me, so what did YOU do this past weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.

Chris Hachet
03-06-2017, 8:00 AM
An interesting weekend...was out of town in North Carolina with my folks, but a couple of good things happened.

My daughter Joanna went with me to north Carolina to see my folks. Since I am on a woodwork high, I decided to drop by Asheville hardware with Mom, Dad, and Joanna. Joanna found a small slab she wants to build into a desk. She is graduating college in a few weeks and moving back home to pay off some college debt and save some money for an apartment.

She suggested the slab as a father/daughter woodworking project, and would like to make it into a desk. The slab a a nice piece of Ash...

The Teco FM 50 came, so i can hopefully fire up the Unisaw this week and get it tuned up.

Going to possibly go look at a nice used Delta 1950's era drill press and a nice 1950's era Planer this week.

Rod Sheridan
03-06-2017, 9:51 AM
I made a tow bar and wheel assembly for my oldest brother's new band saw, and delivered the saw last weekend.

Here's a photo of the happy owner with the new saw, note the fabulous pink handlebar streamers on the tow bar:D.................Rod.

Chris Hachet
03-06-2017, 10:55 AM
I made a tow bar and wheel assembly for my oldest brother's new band saw, and delivered the saw last weekend.

Here's a photo of the happy owner with the new saw, note the fabulous pink handlebar streamers on the tow bar:D.................Rod.

355453Quite appropriate given the amount of band saw discussion we have had recently.

Mike Ontko
03-06-2017, 12:24 PM
Quite appropriate given the amount of band saw discussion we have had recently.

The streamers are a great touch. Style is everything :)

Chris Hachet
03-06-2017, 12:33 PM
The streamers are a great touch. Style is everything :)Maybe playing cars in the band saw wheels like we used to do with bikes as kids, make the retro picture complete....

Vince Rosypal
03-06-2017, 12:33 PM
I had a somewhat productive weekend in the shop... even with fighting a cold
Stained and first coat of varathane on drill press mobile base
Finished construction, calibration and one coat of varathane (think I am going to do another 1 or 2) on my first ever table saw sled.... calibration using 5 cut method gave me some grief as I was going backwards/all over on which way to move back fence depending on the difference in front to back measurement..... but after what felt like a million times I am less than 1/1000" on 16".... I think/hope
Finished up the assembly of a friends front three speakers for his home theater, they are going to pound :D

Chris Hachet
03-06-2017, 1:04 PM
I had a somewhat productive weekend in the shop... even with fighting a cold
Stained and first coat of varathane on drill press mobile base
Finished construction, calibration and one coat of varathane (think I am going to do another 1 or 2) on my first ever table saw sled.... calibration using 5 cut method gave me some grief as I was going backwards/all over on which way to move back fence depending on the difference in front to back measurement..... but after what felt like a million times I am less than 1/1000" on 16".... I think/hope
Finished up the assembly of a friends front three speakers for his home theater, they are going to pound :D

Congrats on progress, time spent on shop projects often feels like lost time but invariably speeds up productivity.

Vince Rosypal
03-06-2017, 1:38 PM
Congrats on progress, time spent on shop projects often feels like lost time but invariably speeds up productivity.

Thanks Chris
Yes it does feel like lost time but I am also using these shop projects to hopefully hone some skills and hey I like building stuff so its all good.

Chris Hachet
03-06-2017, 2:02 PM
Thanks Chris
Yes it does feel like lost time but I am also using these shop projects to hopefully hone some skills and hey I like building stuff so its all good.It beats the living daylights out of sitting around watching televison, talking politics, or weeding the flower beds in front of my house.

Also, agreed on learning things, I learn every time I build something.

Patrick Lesher
03-06-2017, 2:07 PM
For the first time in many months we were able to get both cars in the garage. Okay, one at a time, let's not get crazy, but still they fit. Everything is finally organized and put away in at least a temporary spot. Now it's time to blow it all apart again to get some work done.

William Shelley
03-06-2017, 2:32 PM
On Saturday, I managed to get the last bit of asphalt composition roofing scraped off what the roof structure of what will become my new shop. The roof tear-off was made difficult because the plywood sheathing originally used was undersized (3/8" thick) and had suffered severe rot. I stepped through it in one spot on accident...

I took this picture after replacing one of the sheets with a new sheet of 1/2" CDX. The other three sheets were also replaced after the photo.

Once that was done, I took advantage of the clear weather to get the framing done for the 5x12 bump-out addition I'm doing.

I got the foundation blocks set and the rim joists installed:

Got the rest of the joists in before it got too dark:

Sunday morning, got started early. First sheet of subfloor on:

And by 3:30pm on Sunday afternoon I was already worn out, but I got as far as getting one wall up:

Vince Rosypal
03-06-2017, 3:22 PM
It beats the living daylights out of sitting around watching televison, talking politics, or weeding the flower beds in front of my house.

Also, agreed on learning things, I learn every time I build something.

Very true.... but I am learning what not to do

Chris Hachet
03-06-2017, 3:32 PM
For the first time in many months we were able to get both cars in the garage. Okay, one at a time, let's not get crazy, but still they fit. Everything is finally organized and put away in at least a temporary spot. Now it's time to blow it all apart again to get some work done.

It ahs been a decade since a car has been in my garage, actually.

Jim Becker
03-06-2017, 7:30 PM
Dennis, the photos of that soup and bread looked outstanding and your "audience" felt it tasted that way, too. Bravo!

No woodworking or anything else "manual" this weekend. Saturday, I had to take care of a bunch of "beginning of the month" administrative things at home as I had to drive back to central Florida on Sunday/Monday to deal with further care issues with my elderly parents. The amount of yard work and "tree cleanup" is piling up, so when I do get back, it's unlikely I'll get much shop time for awhile on the weekends. Such is life...

Joe Mioux
03-06-2017, 8:14 PM
We celebrated my daughter's, Jennifer, 21st birthday yesterday at a place called Fast Eddies Bon Air in Alton IL. She turned 21 yesterday, March 5.

Jim Becker
03-07-2017, 2:50 PM
We celebrated my daughter's, Jennifer, 21st birthday yesterday at a place called Fast Eddies Bon Air in Alton IL. She turned 21 yesterday, March 5.
Oooh...I'm honored to share a birthday with her!

Keith Pleas
03-07-2017, 6:51 PM
Late to the thread, but finally finished that knife box I mentioned on an Akeda thread a while back

Brad Barnhart
03-08-2017, 2:22 AM
Finally got to spend some time in the shop to work on a scroll saw project I've been trying to finish for over a month. Like some of you, I'm also dealing with an elderly parent. We had to move Mom in with us this week end. Spent several hours of phone time, & getting her comfortable. Her being a diabetic & falling several times, the wife & I had a hectic weekend. I cherish my few hours of shop time when I can get away to get it.

Frederick Skelly
03-08-2017, 6:37 AM
I actually enjoy building things for the shop - odd, I know. So I built a rack on to hang my new dubuque bar clamps and another to hold my corner clamps. Both required some thinking because of space limitations. Plus, the Adjustable brand corner clamps that I have are shaped oddly, kind of like a protractor. But it was a good weekend!

Fred

Brian Tymchak
03-08-2017, 8:22 AM
Even later to the thread, but I got the last load of rough Ash down into the basement on Saturday. About 250 bf total 4/4 and 8/4 Ash. I must be getting old because that was the heaviest lumber I have ever moved... :eek: This is going to be a timberframe-inspired lumber rack in the end. Which, if the math and engineering (well, my gut instinct..) are correct, will allow me to store about 1600 bf in a corner in the basement. This will clean up the couple stacks of stickered lumber in the middle of the floor and also free up a couple corners where I can build more storage to collect stuff that I've been tripping around over the years. And give me plenty of room for impulse buys..;)

Small gloat - while at the lumber mill, I grabbed a couple 15" wide 10' 4/4 Ash bookmatched boards. Have not found Ash that wide before. Was originally going to use in the lumber rack build but I couldn't bring myself to cut it into little pieces. So, those boards end up on the rack (when it's done) waiting on a better project.

Fred Falgiano
03-08-2017, 9:15 AM
Finished up a mid century modern clock for my wife's anniversary gift.

Hickory from the "twisted all crazy" pile at my local hardwood distributor and clock guts from Amazon.

This is was my first time working with hickory and that stuff is HARD!

. 355602

Nick Decker
03-08-2017, 9:50 AM
Nice job, Fred! Reminds me of things that I grew up with.