PDA

View Full Version : Bad Dog Tools any good ?

Perry Holbrook
10-15-2005, 8:42 PM
I just saw the Bad Dog tool line demo at a show yesterday. They have some drill bits that will drill thru rock, steel, glass, etc and come with a life time warranty on breakage and sharpness. I need to drill into a rock for one of my lamps and the standard masonary bits are only lasting a few rock, even with the rock under water.

Anybody have any experience with this company and their products?

Perry

Here's one of those lamps.

John Miliunas
10-15-2005, 9:09 PM
Sorry, don't know anything about the Bad Dog, but that lamp is way cool!!! :) Mind if I ask what you get for one of them? (You can PM me, if you'd rather. :) ):cool:

Per Swenson
10-15-2005, 9:24 PM
Wow!

Darn fine craftsmanship on the lamp, can we see more?

Know nothing of bad dog.

Per

John Bailey
10-16-2005, 4:57 AM
Never heard of "Bad Dog" tools, but, like the others have said, the lamp is great. We need to see some more.

John

Michael Stafford
10-16-2005, 6:01 AM
Perry, a beauty of a lamp. I like that combination of materials, very organic... How big is it? No help here on Bad Dog Tools.

sascha gast
10-16-2005, 6:40 AM
damn, am I the only one that has those bits??
I have the drill bit set and all the forstner bits and like them very much.
I don't use them all the time but when I need a bit to do something wicked, I grab the bad dogs. get the job done every time.
don't know about the router bits though.

sascha

Jim Knauss
10-16-2005, 8:05 AM
I agree, the lamp is awsome, but never heard of Bad Dog. I have to do a search.

Jim Knauss

Lloyd Brown
10-16-2005, 9:11 AM
I have a set at work that I use when you have to drill though thing that are hard on drill bits. They work great, and when they break, mail them back and a replacement arrives in about 1 week. I save up a few bits and mail them all at once, because it is $3 for return shipping, no matter how mant bits.
now they are basicly masonary bits so nice clean holes in wood , NO, but to drill though 1/4 SS , oh baby, no other bit is so nice. Never tyred rock:rolleyes:

David LaRue
10-16-2005, 9:18 AM
Per,

He has link in his profile: http://www.kopperwood.com/lamps.htm Very creative work! It looks like his work is carried by a ton of galleries.
Dave

Perry Holbrook
10-16-2005, 12:35 PM
Thanks for the comments on the lamp. Working in wood, glass and copper (and soon to be steel), and in the case of that lamp rock, makes for a very busy studio. These rock are much harder than some of the others I've used, so I think I think I'll buy a few of their bits. They only sold sets at the show. The single bits are around $20 on their web site for the sizes I need.

I've sold a few of the lamps to some galleries. I'm not sure I'll continue to wholesale them, shipping is a little of a problem. The lamp retails less than $150.

Perry

Per Swenson
10-16-2005, 3:57 PM
Thanks David,

Perry,

I don't say it often, but I love your stuff.

Per

Steve Clardy
10-16-2005, 4:23 PM
I've seen the bad dog stuff at the wood shows. Drilling files, brake rotors, etc.

Checked out their router bits. Look ok, but haven't ever bought from them.

Dan Forman
10-16-2005, 4:29 PM
Beautiful, imaginative lamp. Would like to see more. Never heard of Bad Dog.

Dan

Bill Turpin
10-16-2005, 4:59 PM
I have seen the Bad Dog tools for years at the Woodworking Shows. I always figured there might be some gimmic to their demos. For instance: have the files been heat treated to remove their hardness that they drill through. I would really appreciate a good and thorough review of them. I would buy a set if I knew they were really as advertised.

Bill in WNC mountains

John Miliunas
10-16-2005, 5:03 PM
I have seen the Bad Dog tools for years at the Woodworking Shows. I always figured there might be some gimmic to their demos. For instance: have the files been heat treated to remove their hardness that they drill through. I would really appreciate a good and thorough review of them. I would buy a set if I knew they were really as advertised.

Bill in WNC mountains

Bill, know what you're saying! I've seen and, ultimately, walked past those demo's a number of times thinking much the same. A "real world" review would be awesome. The drill bits are BIG $$$$'s, but maybe worth it. Kind of like the "Forrest" of drill bits???:) :cool:

Jim Becker
10-16-2005, 5:20 PM
John, Perry's lamps are very kewel...I've touched them, even... ;)
-----

Perry...Bad Dog must be doing something right as they have been at nearly every show I've attended for many years. I've seen the demos and they are impressive with their creativity. But there is probably no way of knowing how long the cutters will last with your application without trying them. Each batch of rocks will probably be different, too..."nature" of the beast, as it were... :)

Todd Burch
10-16-2005, 9:15 PM
I have the Bad Dog sheet metal nibbler, and it works likes a champ. It mounts in a standard 3/8 drill (corded is better, but cordless will work) and eats through anything you can feed it. I was impressed at their demo and bought it.

I was also impressed with their forstner bits. They are designed so that you can turn a corner once in wood. For remodeling, they would be perfect - drilling a crooked hole and going through nails, no problem.

They weren't cheap at all, but are probably worth every penny.

Their booth it typically pretty messy, with all the filings, chips, grinding dust and other debris, but their tools appear to be solid and from the above posts, their warranty seems great too.

Next show I go to (early next year) I'll probably buy a set of forstner drills.

Todd

Vaughn McMillan
10-16-2005, 11:30 PM
I have a set of bits that I bought a few years back at the LA County Fair that sound similar (based on the descriptions of the in-booth demos, the nibblers, the forstner bits, etc.) made by "Rodman". I wonder if they're the same bits under a different label. As was mentioned, the points are like masonry bits. They seem to be pretty resistant to breaking, but I've not been happy with how quickly they dull.

When I mentioned it a year or so later to the guys at the booth, they said the bits could be easily sharpened with a little drill-mounted sharpening stone (that I haven't tried, and likely won't). It's supposedly made of some super-duper carborundum such and such. (I haven't tried using the Drill Doctor on them, because I've not been happy my results sharpening masonry bits.

And Perry, here's all I can add to the accolades on your lamps: Me too. They are great.

- Vaughn

Bill Lewis
10-17-2005, 11:54 AM
Ah, finally someone who has some experience with their tools. I too have seen them at nearly every ww'ing and home improvement show I've been to. I pretty much chalked them up to be right along the same lines as the magic broom, magic cookware, magic cleaners and magic glue peddlers that also attend these shows.

I once actually stopped to watch the demonstration for the nibbler. I got sucked in because there weren't many people there. It seems like it did a good enough job, but I also didn't have much of a need for one at the time. Plus my thinking was that it was about the same cost as an electric or a pneumatic nibbler.

BTW, if you ever get sucked in to some of these demonstrations, (admit it you know you have) you can walk away from them. Granted it's easier to escape politely after the crowd builds. Sometimes, especially with new tools, it can be interesting to watch and see what they're all about. I typically don't buy anything until it has a proven track record or if they have been around for a few years. That, at least attests that they've sold enough units to keep them going, which lends some creedence to the product.

Dick Heifner
10-17-2005, 1:12 PM
Hi all,
I bought a set a the wood show that I used to drill dog holes into the top of my work bench.
The top is 4 sheets of mdo for a thickness of 3 inches, the 3/4 in. bit burned up trying to drill these holes, sold the rest of the bit's at a garage sale.
Dick :mad: