PDA

View Full Version : Bandsaw Choice

Herb Smith
03-05-2017, 5:52 PM
With apologies in advance for another band saw thread, I'm driving myself crazy debating between the Laguna 1412 or the Rikon 10-326. There are a couple of promotions, either current or coming up in a week or so. The Laguna just "looks" like a better saw, but is it? Is it 15-20% better than the Rikon?

Jonathan Biccum
03-05-2017, 6:08 PM
I'm in the same position...been reading and researching for days, making comparison tables, etc. to try to narrow down my choice. I'm pretty much set on a Laguna (a different model). I really like their guide system and watching videos of adjusting them seems very easy and intuitive and the physics of their design makes more sense to me than the bearing design.

Barry McFadden
03-05-2017, 6:13 PM
I bought the Rikon 10-326 last week and am totally satisfied with it. From the ease of setting it up to the spring loaded blade guides it's great. I was limited to 6 1/2" cut height on my 12" Craftsman when I wanted to cut turning blanks. Most of the tree trunk pieces I have on hand are between 8' to 12+" so if I wanted to cut them in half I had to try a chainsaw. The Rikon cuts these with ease with the 13" height and cuts the turning blanks great.... I fully recommend it.....

Van Huskey
03-05-2017, 6:16 PM
As you have probably decerned they are remarkably similar in size and capacity. I lean slightly toward the Laguna mainly because I prefer the ceramic guides. The question used to be easier when the Rikon had the old guides (10-325) which were rather poorly designed. Up close and personal the Laguna always feels like a more polished machine to me, better fit and finish and just has that "air" of better engineering. One of the main differences is the 5 year warranty for the Rikon saw.

I personally would pick the Laguna but this is really a coin flip when the cost difference is added in, which basically amounts to a really to a really nice carbide resaw blade.

Chris Hachet
03-06-2017, 7:54 AM
I bought the Rikon 10-326 last week and am totally satisfied with it. From the ease of setting it up to the spring loaded blade guides it's great. I was limited to 6 1/2" cut height on my 12" Craftsman when I wanted to cut turning blanks. Most of the tree trunk pieces I have on hand are between 8' to 12+" so if I wanted to cut them in half I had to try a chainsaw. The Rikon cuts these with ease with the 13" height and cuts the turning blanks great.... I fully recommend it.....Congrats, seems like a fantastic saw!

David Sloan
03-06-2017, 2:46 PM
With apologies in advance for another band saw thread, I'm driving myself crazy debating between the Laguna 1412 or the Rikon 10-326. There are a couple of promotions, either current or coming up in a week or so. The Laguna just "looks" like a better saw, but is it? Is it 15-20% better than the Rikon?

I looked at both side by side before buying the Laguna. I thought the Laguna had the edge for overall fit and finish but also for the more substantial trunnions. It also seemed to have the edge in reviews from multiple sources. I am very happy with the 1412 but if the 14bx had been available at the time, I would have bought that model I think. And now there is the 18bx!

Chris Hachet
03-06-2017, 3:34 PM
I looked at both side by side before buying the Laguna. I thought the Laguna had the edge for overall fit and finish but also for the more substantial trunnions. It also seemed to have the edge in reviews from multiple sources. I am very happy with the 1412 but if the 14bx had been available at the time, I would have bought that model I think. And now there is the 18bx!

It is so nice to live in an era of fantastic choices.

David Falkner
03-06-2017, 4:37 PM
While it is a different model we bought the Laguna 14 SUV a couple of years ago along with the 1" Resaw King carbide blade. I have to say this is one of the best bandsaws I've ever used.

And due to a fluke in shipping I needed their customer service right off the bat - they were very quick to respond and overnighted the part to me to replace the broken one. Then when I got the saw set up one of the ceramic guides, which are superglued in place, popped loose on the first cut and destroyed the expensive 1" blade. A second call to them about this and they had a replacement blade in a box and shipped, according to the email I received, before I could even take the damaged one off.

I've posted it before but here's a short video of the bandsaw in action on a 14" resaw of Sinker Mahogany -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1D8V1_M044

Chris Hachet
03-06-2017, 10:48 PM
While it is a different model we bought the Laguna 14 SUV a couple of years ago along with the 1" Resaw King carbide blade. I have to say this is one of the best bandsaws I've ever used.

And due to a fluke in shipping I needed their customer service right off the bat - they were very quick to respond and overnighted the part to me to replace the broken one. Then when I got the saw set up one of the ceramic guides, which are superglued in place, popped loose on the first cut and destroyed the expensive 1" blade. A second call to them about this and they had a replacement blade in a box and shipped, according to the email I received, before I could even take the damaged one off.

I've posted it before but here's a short video of the bandsaw in action on a 14" resaw of Sinker Mahogany -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1D8V1_M044

Amazing saw indeed, and thanks for the music link in the signature.

Herb Smith
03-11-2017, 9:43 AM
In case anyone was holding their breath awaiting my decision, I bought the Laguna 1412.

Patrick Lesher
03-11-2017, 11:06 AM
In case anyone was holding their breath awaiting my decision, I bought the Laguna 1412.

Congrats!! I bet it will be a great saw for you!

Daniel Rousseau
03-11-2017, 12:25 PM
Congrats on the new saw. I bet you'll love it.

Nick Lazz
03-11-2017, 12:38 PM
I've had the 14 SE for several years now and although at first I was not very impressed, it has been a good saw. To me the 1" RK is too big for the saw, as I was never able to tension it very well it seems. Laguna may have improved this but I use 3/4" Wood Slicer or Timber Wolf as my biggest RS blades and usually custom order the size to 111" - 111-1/2". Once I figured this out, my results have been great. I can peel off paper thin slices consistently. Good luck with your saw and congrats!

Art Mann
03-11-2017, 1:04 PM
I have owned the Laguna 14/12 for a couple of years now and I am pleased with it. It is obviously slower than a 3 hp saw would be but I get excellent results and my work doesn't require huge quantities of material.

Art Mann
03-11-2017, 1:09 PM
Off topic comment on David Falkner's video. I noticed there is a woman helping him do the cut. I am guessing that is his wife or "significant other". My wife has embraced my woodworking hobby/profession and helps me like that often. That is a very good thing.