PDA

View Full Version : trying to help out other tradespeople

Andrew J. Coholic
03-05-2017, 5:27 PM
So, since I know I am not too well known here.. a bit of background. I grew up in a woodworking business, forced labour all through my school years (European immigrant fathers dont feel the need for summer holidays, lol). Decided after some university I was actually missing the woodworking, so three more years of college later and I was back working for my father. Just over 20 years ago I decided to take over from my dad. And, continue today to try and run the 6000 sq foot, three person shop as smoothly as possible. We do a wide range of general woodworking from residential furniture, cabinets/case goods and a lot of mill-work.

I also supply materials and product to some of the local contractors - which leads me to this thread.

Ive made a whole lot of mistakes, both in business and manufacturing sides of things. Lots.. and my dad (who always seemed to do well in both aspects) just let me make them, and learn from them. Especially in my younger days, through my 20's and 30's (Ill be 47 this year) I see so many things that I could have done a little (or a lot) differently.

One of the younger guys I so a fair but of work for - for the past two years mainly supplying mill-work to - decided to branch out into the wild world of melamine cabinetry last fall. Ive done some cabinets for him, and also cut some material and edge banded it. Recently, he decided he will make more $$ if he can cut the material, join it and edge tape by hand, etc instead of paying me to cut it. I have a 10' slider, set up well and a boring machine to dowel cases together, as well as a decent edge bander. Being young and ambitious - I understand where he is coming from. I'd have wanted to do everything myself too. But, I invested over the years in some decent equipment, and learned how to use that equipment, and understand to do things on a commercial basis you need to be efficient, keep the quality high and get it done fast. There are several shops here that do melamine case work and all are set up decently well.

My thoughts to him (working out of his garage with minimal equipment) is that it would make more sense to get me to at least cut up his material, edge band it, and possibly bore for him if he wants. At the minimum cutting and edge banding - and he can take it from there.

We had a discussion Friday (when he came to pick up a closet job I just had cut and banded for him), where he thought if he bought a mid line track saw, he could actually cut up melamine as fast as I can on my large panel saw (and to the same quality), and edge it himself by hand with an iron, with pre glued tape. And use pocket screws, or something else to join cases together.

I tried to explain, I am pretty quick on the saw (takes me a few hours too cut up the case parts for an average kitchen) and the quality is excellent. Banding is, well, very fast - literally what takes a day to do by hand is done on the edge bander in 15 minutes. With a track saw, you might get some decent cuts, but blades are going to need to be replaced & sharpened regularly. Keeping things square and accurate will be time consuming and no where near what I'd consider doable on a commercial scale. He (half my age) thinks otherwise.
I just hate to see someone spend a few grand on tools that probably wont perform as they are expected to, and you are no further ahead. Ive been there done that (which is one reason years ago I stayed away from melamine) and know what it is like to try and make a quality product when you cant even cut cleanly, etc.

Im interested to see how things pan out. I am genuinely concerned with him doing well. But I cant "tell" him how to do things. And he thinks he knows better than me so...

If I were him, I'd continue to use a shop like ours to sub out some of the work, and save money to buy a decent saw and other equipment if the work starts rolling in.

Myk Rian
03-05-2017, 6:47 PM
All you can do is wish him well, and ask him to keep you in mind if things don't work out as well as he hopes.

Malcolm McLeod
03-05-2017, 7:19 PM
The old saying is "You can lead a horse to water...then you shoot it." That'll teach 'em.;)

Mel Fulks
03-05-2017, 7:46 PM
I would at least explain to him what a nightmare banders can be, you'd be doing both parties a favor. I know a guy who spent $10,000 fixing a used bander. Used to tell him he should drag it to front door of another shop and let them go broke fixing it. Kinda' a Trojan Horse!. Don't know why but every time a shop has to hire outside "fixers" every one from office stops working and stands there watching them. I once rounded up some fellow workers "to help watch". No, I was not fired. The iron on stuff is a good way to go broke with just a small investment.

Andrew J. Coholic
03-05-2017, 8:43 PM
I would at least explain to him what a nightmare banders can be, you'd be doing both parties a favor. I know a guy who spent $10,000 fixing a used bander. Used to tell him he should drag it to front door of another shop and let them go broke fixing it. Kinda' a Trojan Horse!. Don't know why but every time a shop has to hire outside "fixers" every one from office stops working and stands there watching them. I once rounded up some fellow workers "to help watch". No, I was not fired. The iron on stuff is a good way to go broke with just a small investment.

Thats what I am saying - he will be trying to cut the melamine with a track saw, and hand iron on pre glued tape, trimming by hand etc. He's got no capital for any machinery - I tried to convince him at the minimum a decent used industrial cabinet saw (and some good blades) would be better.

I certainly dont need the work, thats not what this is about. We are usually booked up months ahead always. I feel bad since I know (from first hand experience) what he is thinking he will be able to do just isnt going to pan out... again Im not talking a one of hobby job, hes trying to do this as a business (his sole source of income).

Im no expert, but with a few decades of full time shop experience, and having struggled with many things over the years to get to where I am now... I would like to save another young guy some wasted time and $$. But I couldn't explain to him well enough for him to understand, that what he thinks he will be able to do wont happen.

Pay me for an hour's work - and save himself a day or more - time better spent doing things he can do efficiently and make more $$.

Anyway I was just thinking of this over the weekend and thought others might also have similar experiences.

Neil Gaskin
03-05-2017, 10:39 PM
There is no better teacher than experience and failure. Some things and some people just need to learn for themselves, or maybe he will never learn. All you can do is coach and leave the ball in his court.

We have a decent shop but not an edge bander or a sliding saw. I can't imagine we could edge band worth a damn by hand. We tried one project and then punted.

There is no way processing sheet goods with a track saw is going to be any where near as efficient or clean as a sliding saw

Patrick Walsh
03-05-2017, 10:50 PM
Processing sheet goods with a track saw stinks!

If he cant be led to water and you tried you have nothing to feel bad about. You never kmow what someone is thinking or their reasons for something. I would just let him do his thing amd not worry. If he does not suprise you and i guess he could, he will be back saying i shoulda listened to you but i had to learn on my own.

If he is young its not like its going to sink him. Long term he will get it and be just fine if this is really waht he wants to do.

Frederick Skelly
03-06-2017, 6:26 AM
I wonder if there could be some way to show him both processes, side by side? This is over the top Andrew, and it depends on how far you want to go to teach him....... But what if you borrowed a track saw and had him come to your shop on a Saturday. Say to him, "Mike, cut out the parts for that small cabinet." Then, "Now edge band them your way." Then show him on your bander. And so on.

He may still not get it ("Ahhh this will get easier as I practice and build some jigs.") But, he might be mature enough to see that the cutting and banding is worth subbing to you. ("Man, I spent 4 hours doing just that much and Andrew spent 1 hour. For what he charges me per hr, I might be ahead to let him do the hard part.")

An old guy I know at work once told me "Fred, you don't tell a young guy they're stupid. First you tell them, and then you SHOW them." (Yes, I was the one he just "showed". :D )

Anyway, it's just an idea that came to mind. It's kind of you to help him. I hope he gets it.
Fred

michael langman
03-06-2017, 10:54 AM
Ambition and money ,ego, youthfulness, can deter anyone from the truth. Time will solve the situation.

You can take solace in knowing you tried to do the right thing and just get on.

One of my favorite expressions is," So It Goes,".., because indifference can help the with peace of mind, especially in this world.

Mel Fulks
03-06-2017, 11:15 AM
Frederick, your idea could work. It reminds me of one of those old movie plots,......"and maybe Old Man Brown would let us do the show in his barn!" things. And ALL of them worked!

Eric Keller
03-06-2017, 6:11 PM
I'm not sure I would go so far as to do a back-to-back comparison. Then the next question is why it costs so much to have Andrew do the job.

This is a lesson that took a long time for me to learn. Not so much for a business, but for make vs. build decisions around the house or for hobbies. Now, if I can buy something, that's the way I go unless I really want the challenge of building it or I have a better idea that I can't buy. Usually, if I want something, I want it now, not after some years of delay building it, which is my usual schedule

Andrew J. Coholic
03-06-2017, 8:20 PM
I wonder if there could be some way to show him both processes, side by side? This is over the top Andrew, and it depends on how far you want to go to teach him....... But what if you borrowed a track saw and had him come to your shop on a Saturday. Say to him, "Mike, cut out the parts for that small cabinet." Then, "Now edge band them your way." Then show him on your bander. And so on.

He may still not get it ("Ahhh this will get easier as I practice and build some jigs.") But, he might be mature enough to see that the cutting and banding is worth subbing to you. ("Man, I spent 4 hours doing just that much and Andrew spent 1 hour. For what he charges me per hr, I might be ahead to let him do the hard part.")

An old guy I know at work once told me "Fred, you don't tell a young guy they're stupid. First you tell them, and then you SHOW them." (Yes, I was the one he just "showed". :D )

Anyway, it's just an idea that came to mind. It's kind of you to help him. I hope he gets it.
Fred

Fred,
I have had a FEstool track saw for several years - we use it on site during installations, and also I use it in the shop to aid in solid surface fabrication. I am pretty familiar with what it is capable of VS the large slider, with pneumatic hold downs, parallel jigs, Tiger fence digital fence, etc.. :)

I actually spoke to him again today when he was in picking up some hand rail we ran for him... he was second guessing himself. We had another chat and I think he might be understanding what I was trying to explain to him after all.

Kev Williams
03-06-2017, 9:26 PM
"...and he thinks he knows better than me, so..."

Bankruptcy court is loaded with people who "knows better" ;) Hopefully a few more chats will bring him around. :)

Frederick Skelly
03-06-2017, 9:31 PM
Fred,
I have had a FEstool track saw for several years - we use it on site during installations, and also I use it in the shop to aid in solid surface fabrication. I am pretty familiar with what it is capable of VS the large slider, with pneumatic hold downs, parallel jigs, Tiger fence digital fence, etc.. :)

I actually spoke to him again today when he was in picking up some hand rail we ran for him... he was second guessing himself. We had another chat and I think he might be understanding what I was trying to explain to him after all.

Good for you Andrew! Glad you're getting through to him.

BTW, I understood that YOU know the difference in what the slider vs the track saw can do. You're a Pro with years of experience! I was referring to teaching that young guy you are trying to help.:D

Eric Keller
03-06-2017, 10:18 PM
if this person has enough jobs to keep him busy while paying the OP, then it's silly to be trying to cut costs by trading time for small savings. People do stuff like that all the time, doesn't make it smart.

Jason Roehl
03-07-2017, 6:13 AM
Many fail to begin to understand the concept of opportunity cost. Being too diverse in your skills may mean that you lose out on higher-paying niche market work.

Patrick Walsh
03-07-2017, 8:08 AM
I was also thinking he could be trying to stretch his work.

I know i fall into that pickle from time to time. Even so most of the time even in these situations subbing out certain parts of projects still makes sense.

dennis thompson
03-07-2017, 8:13 AM
When I was 19 years old I bought an auto repair shop. At that point I knew NOTHING. I started doing engine overhauls thinking there was big profit in them, I was wrong. Not only did they take too long but the probability for comebacks was high. I learned fairly quickly the key to success was smaller jobs, like brakes, oil changes, tune ups, etc. You are right to advise him & hopefully he will listen to you. I am now 73 and I know slightly more than NOTHING.:)