PDA

View Full Version : Project Pics - Dough Board

John Buzzurro
10-15-2005, 8:30 PM
Not as nice as Vaughn's cutting boards, but this is my first attempt at this type of project.

The GF asked for a large board that she could use for kneeding dough for pizza, pasta, etc. Other than size, the key requirement was that it had a lip on the underside that conformed to our round kitchen table top.

The board is ~20" x 20" x 5/8" thick. Main part is curly maple. Center diamond is bloodwood. End piece with the curve is cherry (See Underside pic here (http://userweb.suscom.net/~jbuzzurr/woodworking/projects/doughboard/boardbottom.jpg).) Finished with mineral oil so far. I was thinking of adding a final coat of mineral oil/beeswax.

Thanks for looking. Constructive criticism is always welcome.

http://userweb.suscom.net/~jbuzzurr/woodworking/projects/doughboard/board2.jpg

John

John Miliunas
10-15-2005, 9:17 PM
Wow, John! That's pretty! Your GF should enjoy making some fine baked goods while using that piece!:) Beautimous wood, very nice job with the inlay and it's even got the custom lip! That's cool! Great job.:) :cool:

Bernie Weishapl
10-15-2005, 10:22 PM
That is awesome. I want to learn to do inlays. I love the bloodwood in the curly maple. Just beautiful John. That should make a lot of baked goods.

John Hart
10-15-2005, 10:44 PM
The thing I hate about making bread dough...besides the mess, the crusty stuff that's left on your hands, and the sore muscles...is the fact that the board moves all over the table! Other than that...I really enjoy it!
Beautiful piece John! The curl is great and I like the color contrast. It'll be around a long long time.:)

Vaughn McMillan
10-16-2005, 3:21 AM
That looks very nice, John. The maple is gorgeous, and I like the idea of the custom lip for the round counter top. Good job all around. Regarding your "final coat", the mineral oil/beeswax combo will work well, but keep in mind that you'll never really have a "final" coat, since you or your GF will need to replenish it every once in a while as it gets used.

Thanks for the pics -

- Vaughn

Jeff Sudmeier
10-16-2005, 5:39 PM
John,

Great job on the board!! Having it stay in one spot on the table should be a big advantage!