PDA

View Full Version : Spalted Maple Vessel

John Hart
03-05-2017, 1:35 PM
Hi all. Spent the last few days on this piece. Fire burning in the woodstove and slightly warmer days. Turning is great therapy for a winter weary mind :)

Anyway....this is a spalted maple hollowform with walnut stuff jazzing it up a little. The raindrop is made from acetate something or other. I just call it bullet proof glass. Stands 11 inches tall by about 5 inches diameter. Finished in 4 coats of high gloss lacquer.
It was a fun piece to churn out and will be a gift to my brother.

Thanks fer lookin' :)

Tim Boger
03-05-2017, 3:41 PM
Hey John ... The Vase and Finial are spectacular .... the pedestal doesn't really thrill me.

The finish looks great !!

Tim

John Hart
03-05-2017, 3:47 PM
Thanks Tim :)
Yup...I'm not crazy about the pedestal either but it should keep the vessel dry if there's a flood or something :)

William C Rogers
03-05-2017, 4:27 PM
Another beautiful piece. Envious of your artistic skills. I also like the shape of the vase, I hope it never sees a flood.

George Conklin
03-06-2017, 10:36 AM
Hey John,

I really like the "spalting " that's going on. Very attractive.

What's going on with the rim? Is that a natural edge? Whatever it is, I like it!:)

Grant Wilkinson
03-06-2017, 11:16 AM
The shape and the vase and the finish are really spot on, John. I think that the pedestal takes away from the vase shape, though. Plus, I wonder, even though the pedestal is quite wide at its base, if it's a bit tippy.

John Hart
03-06-2017, 12:28 PM
Thanks everyone...the pedestals on my pieces have been a sore spot for many people over the years...although most folks seem to like them better in person.
A long time ago, I decided to do something "a little bit different". I figure it's probably time to abandon the style...but I'm so dang stubborn. :)

Another beautiful piece. Envious of your artistic skills. I also like the shape of the vase, I hope it never sees a flood.
Thanks William....I'm afraid it's not artistic skills with me. I have no artistic eye as far as I can tell. It took me nearly 5 years just to get my head wrapped around the idea of the curve. :)

Hey John,

I really like the "spalting " that's going on. Very attractive.

What's going on with the rim? Is that a natural edge? Whatever it is, I like it!

Thanks George:)
Yup...natural edge. Just a maple log laying in my shop developed the spalt...and I just picked a spot near the crotch that seemed to have some nice character.

The shape and the vase and the finish are really spot on, John. I think that the pedestal takes away from the vase shape, though. Plus, I wonder, even though the pedestal is quite wide at its base, if it's a bit tippy.
Thanks Grant :)
Nope...not tippy at all. In the early days, they were, simply because someone came up with a standard ratio "that looks good", but I found that when they fall off the table, it hurts my feelings :eek: so I decided to go with a slightly larger base. But really, they don't look or feel that large in person.

Greg Parrish
03-06-2017, 4:54 PM
really nice. thanks for sharing. Gives me inspiration to keep trying. :)

Larry Cutlip
03-06-2017, 5:08 PM
I like the pedestal. Very nice turning.

Larry

John C Bush
03-06-2017, 11:36 PM
Love the shape. Great bail bucket if it does flood!