PDA

View Full Version : Gloves to aid with grip of hand tools

James Pallas
03-05-2017, 9:41 AM
My thumbs are about done. I need to grip with the meat of my thumbs (Palm). I have tried a few gloves but most have grip on the fingers and not the palm. I was hoping that some of you may have found something.
Jim

Prashun Patel
03-05-2017, 9:53 AM
Which hand tools? Have you tried kt tape? On your hands or on the tool handles.

Phil Mueller
03-05-2017, 10:05 AM
Big box stores have a glove that's cotton with blue "rubber" throughout the palm and fingers. Works well for me when I need some extra grip:

Roger Nair
03-05-2017, 10:30 AM
For many years I have used friction tape on hammer and mallet handles so I could use a very loose grip without risk of the hammer flying away. The benefit I sought was reduced shock and I am pleased, however it's friction tape and unsightly. The eyes might suffer but joy to joints and tendons.

Derek Cohen
03-05-2017, 10:30 AM
James, have you tried the blue nitrile gloves? They grip very well, are durable, and thin enough to offer good feedback.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Pat Barry
03-05-2017, 10:35 AM
I use blue nitrile gloves frequently at work and can't stand them. They don't breathe so my hands sweat and get clammy. In my garage where its cold in the winter my hands would freeze quickly. I have a pair of the rubber coated cloth gloves like above. They are coated only for grip so my hands breathe and stay comfortable. They are not bulky. I got them either at the HD or Oreilly auto parts.

James Pallas
03-05-2017, 11:22 AM
Here are some photos. I have to keep the thumb aligned to last very long. To oppose the thumb last about 1 minute. I tried tape for a while it helped. I have tried different gloves like the rubber coated ones. The best I found so far was some dotted "Snap On" ones that were ok but the dots got hardened fairly quickly and stopped working. I tried some surgical gloves, to slick. I haven't tried the blue nitriles but will give them a try. I do not advocate my chisel grip to anyone, one errant blow will get your attention. DAMHIK.:)
Jim

Jim Koepke
03-05-2017, 11:27 AM
You might take a look at bicycling or golf gloves.

I haven't used either for years. Many years ago my bicycling gloves had padded palms and the tips of the fingers were open.

jtk

James Pallas
03-05-2017, 11:35 AM
You might take a look at bicycling or golf gloves.

I haven't used either for years. Many years ago my bicycling gloves had padded palms and the tips of the fingers were open.

jtk
Thanks Jim, Not being a golfer or cyclist I never thought of those gloves. I did try some golf club tape at one point. I got blisters from it. I don't think it is made for a verticle impact like chiseling.
Jim

Malcolm Schweizer
03-05-2017, 12:00 PM
Similar to golf gloves are sailing gloves, available with half fingers, which may be more comfortable in the heat. Also, I use 3M Cohesive wraps when I need to protect finger tips without losing grip, and without the sticky mess of tape.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000QHCO56/ref=mp_s_a_1_1_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1488733127&sr=8-1&keywords=3m+cohesive+wrap+bandages

Eric Schmid
03-05-2017, 12:44 PM
Try Maxiflex Endurance 33-844. They are breathable nitrile with a dimpled palm and fabric back. These are the best gloves I've found for carpentry and woodworking.

James Pallas
03-05-2017, 1:23 PM
Thanks to everyone. I was sure I would get some suggestions. There are just too many options out there. It's a somewhat small thing, gloves, but it is keeping me from doing projects at the moment. I have some things to try from people who are doing the same kinds of things.
Jim

Noah Magnuson
03-05-2017, 4:26 PM
Showa Atlas 370 Nitrile. They fit perfect, and protect very well, but are very thin, so you can manipulate screws, pick small stuff up etc. I used to be in an industry that required 'testing' a lot of gloves (landscape construction). The backs are like thicker nylons, so your hands breathe. I buy mine by the dozen from palmflex.com . They basically last until the backs get too many holes from snags. The last dozen has lasted me 4 years and I use them for everything.

I challenge anyone to try them and find them anything but superior.

Bob Glenn
03-05-2017, 5:24 PM
Depending on the tool, try filing the round handles on hammers, mallets, chisels and coping saws into a octagon shape.

Reinis Kanders
03-05-2017, 5:27 PM
100% agree with this. These gloves have a lot of grip.

Showa Atlas 370 Nitrile. They fit perfect, and protect very well, but are very thin, so you can manipulate screws, pick small stuff up etc. I used to be in an industry that required 'testing' a lot of gloves (landscape construction). The backs are like thicker nylons, so your hands breathe. I buy mine by the dozen from palmflex.com . They basically last until the backs get too many holes from snags. The last dozen has lasted me 4 years and I use them for everything.

I challenge anyone to try them and find them anything but superior.

Roger Nair
03-05-2017, 11:01 PM
James, after viewing your photos of your grip on various tools, I believe you have problems that can increase. I have tried your grips, found them painful and out of alignment and have concluded that you either have a problem that needs treatment from a doctor and/or a physical therapist or that your bench maybe far to high and that will throw off the whole man to tool relationship. In the course of a 45 year career, I have had to stop work, seek treatment, re-evaluate and make corrections a number of times to stop accumulated injury.

Sorry, I had to say this, I know that this is unwelcomed. Please take care

Roger,

Larry Frank
03-06-2017, 7:11 AM
I feel James pain and have had hand problems. My wrist joints were worn out and it was painful to work in my shop. I found an orthopedic doctor who specializes in hand and wrists. Eventually, I had surgery on both wrists and I am mostly pain free in my hands.

My advice is to find a good doctor and find out what is wrong and what could be done to help. Good Luck

James Pallas
03-06-2017, 7:35 AM
James, after viewing your photos of your grip on various tools, I believe you have problems that can increase. I have tried your grips, found them painful and out of alignment and have concluded that you either have a problem that needs treatment from a doctor and/or a physical therapist or that your bench maybe far to high and that will throw off the whole man to tool relationship. In the course of a 45 year career, I have had to stop work, seek treatment, re-evaluate and make corrections a number of times to stop accumulated injury.

Sorry, I had to say this, I know that this is unwelcomed. Please take care

Roger,
Thanks Roger, I have what I consider to be "my team" of doctors. They have kept me going so far. We have talked about this issue. The bench height is not a problem. The picture is of my carvers vise clamped in a face vise. My bench is a Noden adjust a bench that I had set up for me by Mr Noden (nice man) a couple of years back. Your advice is sound and I appreciate it.
Jim

James Pallas
03-06-2017, 7:38 AM
I feel James pain and have had hand problems. My wrist joints were worn out and it was painful to work in my shop. I found an orthopedic doctor who specializes in hand and wrists. Eventually, I had surgery on both wrists and I am mostly pain free in my hands.

My advice is to find a good doctor and find out what is wrong and what could be done to help. Good Luck
Thanks Larry. Good advice. See my reply to Roger. We are working on it.
Jim

Patrick Walsh
03-06-2017, 8:27 AM
Im not much a Harbor Freight fan but they do have a exceptional value on the rubber palmed gloves mentioned in this thread.

They offer a light glove but sturdy and last as well as any other rubber palmed glove i have purchased to date including those purchased at masonry supply stores for stone and brick masons. They also offer a thicker rubber palmed glove.

Both are $1.99 a pair.

I purchase 20 pairs at a time i keep ten pair in my workshop and ten pair in my truck.

Jim Koepke
03-06-2017, 11:15 AM
Thanks Roger, I have what I consider to be "my team" of doctors. They have kept me going so far. We have talked about this issue. The bench height is not a problem. The picture is of my carvers vise clamped in a face vise. My bench is a Noden adjust a bench that I had set up for me by Mr Noden (nice man) a couple of years back. Your advice is sound and I appreciate it.
Jim

You are fortunate. All my doctors have told me there is nothing to be done for my hand and shoulder. The hand was injured about 60 years ago and the shoulder about 45 years ago.

Working around the pain is about the only way for me to get anything done.

jtk

James Pallas
03-06-2017, 1:45 PM
You are fortunate. All my doctors have told me there is nothing to be done for my hand and shoulder. The hand was injured about 60 years ago and the shoulder about 45 years ago.

Working around the pain is about the only way for me to get anything done.

jtk
I am fortunate. Your right about working around the pain. That's what I'm doing here with the glove thing. Surgical correction is a non starter. They'd have to start at the spine and work outwards. I already have an electronic device implanted on the spine that really helps a lot. The rest is just things like gloves and work holding jigs and such to help with positioning to keep from binding up my "rusted up" body parts.:)
Jim

Jim Koepke
03-06-2017, 1:58 PM
Sometimes the sounds from my joints is worse than the actual discomfort. Not always, I was trying to lift a downed part of a tree a few days ago and my shoulder made a nasty sound. Think of the sound a turkey leg makes when it is being pulled from the bird. My shoulder sounded a few times louder than that. The pain, above the daily normal, only lasted for a few days.

My hand is a different story. It was cut open in a fall into a creek bed. It still has particles of sand and other muck in the joint. It is often easier for me to do a monkey grip on things.

jtk

Caspar Hauser
03-09-2017, 2:10 PM
As an alternative to gloves, would a few turns of friction tape around the individual tool handles be helpful?

Michael J Evans
03-09-2017, 2:49 PM
Just throwing this out there as I have no real experience with it. But maybe try cork or surf grip tape like used on fishing rods.
I imagine the cork would absorb sweat ano shock well, while providing cushion.
Just not sure how well it'd hold up to being pounded on.