PDA

View Full Version : variable speed controller

Pat Reddemann
03-04-2017, 6:22 PM
I have a delta 46-475 variable speed lathe, which has an automatic shut down if it detects a problem like a catch. My problem is that it sometimes shuts down for no apparent reason. Then I have to turn off the lathe completely, wait, then restart it. Another related problem is that sometimes it won't stop when I hit the stop button on the variable speed controller. I have to either hit forward and then stop again, or shut down the lathe completely. Have anyone else had this problem and is there a fix?

:(

John K Jordan
03-06-2017, 7:39 AM
I have a delta 46-475 variable speed lathe, which has an automatic shut down if it detects a problem like a catch. My problem is that it sometimes shuts down for no apparent reason. Then I have to turn off the lathe completely, wait, then restart it. Another related problem is that sometimes it won't stop when I hit the stop button on the variable speed controller. I have to either hit forward and then stop again, or shut down the lathe completely. Have anyone else had this problem and is there a fix?

Pat, I'm not familiar with that lathe so all I can do is guess. Does it use a VFD similar to those on the Powermatic and Jet? On these the start/stop switch, reverse, and speed control are on low-voltage circuits, 5 or 10 volts DC, connected to VFD control terminals with wires. If yours is similar, you might first try tightening all the connections to the VFD.

I had one start/stop switch get dust inside and only work intermittently. Temporarily bypassing the switch or testing with a meter might check that. If your controls are membrane switches on the controller itself, I've had some success with other devices by taking them apart and cleaning the contacts with rubbing alcohol.

However, the way you describe how it will restart after a wait makes me wonder if something is getting overheated. Is there an error code on the VFD? Does this happen after it is in use for some time? Perhaps fine dust got inside and needs to be blown out.

I can't imagine how overheating could cause the FAILURE to shut off and that resetting the controller would fix it. Maybe the techs at Delta would know. Or maybe with more detail someone else will have an idea. I hope the controller itself is not failing.

Leo Van Der Loo
03-06-2017, 10:04 AM

Pat is this the 46-745 lathe, as that is the only one I can find with the number mix ??

I only can find a write-up from fine woodworking about that lathe, nothing from the New Delta Co., I assume it fell by the wayside with the takeovers that happened.

The lathe was made in the USA, and uses a Baldor motor, so maybe you have to go to Baldor to find some answers.

Though opening the control box and blowing that out might be all you nerd to do, good luck.