PDA

View Full Version : hitachi router lifts

Brad Hammond
10-15-2005, 7:17 PM
hey all.....

i'm searching for a lift and i was wondering what choices i had for my hitachi m12v. i see most folks love their prl's, but i wanted to see what else was out there.

thanx all!
brad

Jeremy Gibson
10-15-2005, 7:37 PM
I don't have any personal experience yet, but based on a similar question I asked in the creek my wish list has the Woodpecker Plunge Lift. They make a model of the lift for the M12V.

John Miliunas
10-15-2005, 7:58 PM
Brad, Jeremy described my exact setup. The Woodpeck Plunge Lift with the M12V for an "engine".:) The PL is probably one of the lesser expensive lifts out there, but it's well designed and does a super job. I only have the 3 stock inserts for it, though I wish I had the whole set. Sadly, those don't come cheap, so I've held off. The M12V does a great job, though. I did hack off the tabs on it, making bit swaps easier and I also picked up the offset wrench they offer. Highly, highly recommend that little option!:) I see that they now include the "Speed Crank", as well. Very handy when the fence is close to the adjustment insert. Also, you may be handier than me but, I also bought the insert template when I purchased mine. Made the opening cutout job real easy. All in all, I think it's a great value and I've really enjoyed mine.:) :cool:

Brad Hammond
10-15-2005, 8:11 PM
great ya'll thanx........... i'm lookin at woodpeckers right now....

Russ Massery
10-15-2005, 8:50 PM
Brad, You can ditto pretty much everything John just told you. I have the same exact set-up. Price wise you can't beat it.

Peter Stahl
10-16-2005, 8:07 AM
hey all.....

i'm searching for a lift and i was wondering what choices i had for my hitachi m12v. i see most folks love their prl's, but i wanted to see what else was out there.

thanx all!
brad

Brad,

I have the WP PL and it is very well made. Had to take one of the springs out of the router (which is easy to do) to make it go up and down smoothly. The reason I went with the WP lift is because I bought a PC Oscilating sander and got the WP plate for that. This way I could use the same cutout. If I was going to use the cutout I have for my PC router I think I would have gone with the RouterRaizer.

Pete.

Brad Hammond
10-16-2005, 9:32 AM
thanx all!!! i pulled the trigger on on the pl this am!

cant wait! thanx for all the recommendations!
brad

Russ Massery
10-16-2005, 9:35 AM
Brad I sent you PM regarding the Plungelift.

Mark Singer
10-16-2005, 10:02 AM
I have the Router Raizer ...inexpensive and it seems to do the same as the expensive guys. It takes a little time to fit on the Hitachi Router

JayStPeter
10-16-2005, 5:02 PM
I have the same setup and can't really say more than John has.

Someday I'll probably upgrade to a PRL so I won't have to lock/unlock the plunge mechanism every time I make a minor adjustment. That's the downside of a plunge mechanism over a dedicated lift.

Jay

Andy Hoyt
10-16-2005, 5:13 PM
I too have the M12V with the Woodpecker stuff. If you go this route, be very careful.

The directions say (I'm a bit fuzzy on what follows as this was a few years ago) to be very careful not to allow some springs in the router posts to fall out during the installation process. I read that, said okay, and immediately let them fall out. After a two hour detour fixing that, I was all set to go.

Lowering a bit is a piece of cake, but raising it is a royal pain; and I firmly believe that this is a result of my own ineptitude when reinstalling those springs. I'm sure I boogered something.

One of these days, I'll replace the extension table on the TS where this rig resides, and when I do I'll be digging back into those springs. But, since I really want a new TS it's doubtful I'll ever replace the extension table, so it's therefore doubtful I'll ever dig back into those springs. Why? becasue I just sunk all my guidos into a new lathe instead. Ah nuts.