PDA

View Full Version : Bandsaw Buy: New Laguna 14BX (220v) or Craiglist find, used Rikon 10-325

Jonathan Biccum
03-03-2017, 8:35 PM
I'm about to pull the trigger on my first bandsaw purchase and after several days of researching and back and forth I thought I was settled on a Laguna 14BX, 220v. (I know the 18BX just came out but $2K is a little too much money AND it's at least a 60 day wait to get one). Then, just a few minutes ago an ad popped up on Craigslist for a Rikon 10-325 with several upgrades. I'm not sure if it's kosher to link the ad here so here are the upgrades:

Kreg Bandsaw Fence
Cool Blocks
Sulphur Grove Urethane Tires
Brand new Lennox Tri Master 1/2" blade (3 TPI)
Mobile Base
custom hardwired LED lamp on the front (where it should be)

All this for $795 which seems like a GREAT deal, whereas the Laguna with mobility base, blades, etc. will cost me around $1750.

I'm a little hesitant on it because 1) it's used so no warranty, 2) I've heard some pretty bad things about Rikon's trunnions failing (i.e.. crumbling to dust), 3) Laguna's guide system seems much more user-friendly

I'd greatly appreciate your thoughts on the matter. It's totally possible that it disappears before I get many replies anyway. LOL Thanks much!

Chris Hachet
03-03-2017, 11:01 PM
My response would be to buy the Rikon 10 342 new, 18 inch, or the grizzly 17 inch saw with the foot brake and bypass both 14 inch saws. You asked for opinions, others here are free to disagree with me in the strongest possible terms. But if it were my money that is where it would go.

Van Huskey
03-03-2017, 11:16 PM
I will just deal with the two saws you have listed. The weakness of the 10-325 is the guides, they are kinda poorly designed and are a PITA to adjust, so much so that when they designed the 10-326 they completely redesigned the guides and sell them as a kit for the 10-325 for $149.

You are right IF you value the accessories that is a good price on the 10-325 and even with the upgraded guides you are under a grand so I think if you see the saw and it runs correctly it is certainly a viable option. That said you must ask yourself why you didn't have the 10-326 as your saw choice before this "deal" it was still quite a bit cheaper than the 14BX 2.5...

Frederick Skelly
03-04-2017, 6:40 AM
I've had a Rikon 10-325 for 4 years. Paid $700 new. Have not made any upgrades. Nice saw. Works just fine - no crumbles, etc.

Pay close attention to Van's advice on Bandsaws. He's made a serious second "hobby" out of knowing bandsaws inside and out and he regularly tests new models. He has a lot of expertise on these machines. I haven't tried a 10-326, but if I were you, I'd find a local dealer and test drive one based on his suggestion.

Welcome to SMC. Hope to see more of you!
Fred

Greg Parrish
03-04-2017, 7:29 AM
For what the Laguna will cost you, you could get a heck of an equipped 19" grizzly for less

http://www.grizzly.com/products/19-3-HP-Extreme-Series-Bandsaw-with-Foot-Brake/G0514XF?utm_campaign=zPage&utm_source=grizzly.com

that said, if you are set on the 14" size you could get a brand new Rikon 10-326 for just a little more than that used one

http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/rikon-14-deluxe-bandsaw.aspx

for reference when I went through this same debacle I ended up with a 17" grizzly model G0513XF2 and find it to work great. Wish I'd have had more budget for a 19" or larger though. ;)

lee cox
03-04-2017, 11:10 AM
I bought a Rikon 10-325 for $699 new. I have an Minimax 18 inch now and I would not go back. I am only a hobbyist.

Chris Hachet
03-04-2017, 11:49 AM
I bought a Rikon 10-325 for $699 new. I have an Minimax 18 inch now and I would not go back. I am only a hobbyist.I am a bandsaw novice and a hobbyist, but the 18 inch machines are much more enjoyable in use IMHO.

Chris Hachet
03-04-2017, 11:49 AM
For what the Laguna will cost you, you could get a heck of an equipped 19" grizzly for less

http://www.grizzly.com/products/19-3-HP-Extreme-Series-Bandsaw-with-Foot-Brake/G0514XF?utm_campaign=zPage&utm_source=grizzly.com

that said, if you are set on the 14" size you could get a brand new Rikon 10-326 for just a little more than that used one

http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/rikon-14-deluxe-bandsaw.aspx

for reference when I went through this same debacle I ended up with a 17" grizzly model G0513XF2 and find it to work great. Wish I'd have had more budget for a 19" or larger though. ;)Agree on Grizzly.

Jonathan Biccum
03-05-2017, 2:33 PM
For those of you who advocate a larger saw...would you mind elaborating on this for me? I'm a hobbyist as well and this will be my first bandsaw so everything about it will be new to me. What do you personally find more enjoyable about the 18 (or 17" or 19") inch over the 14"? I'm really interested in specific things you prefer about the larger saws in use, not just the specs. I've done extensive research and made all sorts of spreadsheets to compare specs. The Laguna 14BX is very similar or even exceeds the specs of 17" Grizzlies, so what makes the larger saw more enjoyable to use?

Thank you for your input!

Barry McFadden
03-05-2017, 4:27 PM
For what it's worth , I just bought a Rikon 10-326 from Lee Valley last week and love it. Easy to set up and runs great. The spring loaded blade guides are quick and easy to set up when changing blades (no allen keys needed)..... I'm would recommend this saw to anyone plus it's got a 5 year warranty.

Greg Parrish
03-05-2017, 6:52 PM
For those of you who advocate a larger saw...would you mind elaborating on this for me? I'm a hobbyist as well and this will be my first bandsaw so everything about it will be new to me. What do you personally find more enjoyable about the 18 (or 17" or 19") inch over the 14"? I'm really interested in specific things you prefer about the larger saws in use, not just the specs. I've done extensive research and made all sorts of spreadsheets to compare specs. The Laguna 14BX is very similar or even exceeds the specs of 17" Grizzlies, so what makes the larger saw more enjoyable to use?

Thank you for your input!

for me it's the capacity. Not the resaw capacity but the throats opening. Depending on what you plan to do with it you may find that you wish you had more space to the left of the blade. I'm finding myself in that position all the time when cutting various things.

Chris Hachet
03-06-2017, 8:04 AM

Thank you for your input!It is subjective, I like the feel of the larger tools better. They seem to have less vibration and be a little bit more smooth. The 14BX will probably do 95 percent of anything you could want and is probably dollar for dollar one of the best bandsaws on the market.

Any of the well regarded bandsaws (Italian, laguna, Grizzly, Rikon) will cut wood just fine. At some point it is subjective, like the difference between a Malibu and Fusion.

Chris Hachet
03-06-2017, 8:06 AM
For what it's worth , I just bought a Rikon 10-326 from Lee Valley last week and love it. Easy to set up and runs great. The spring loaded blade guides are quick and easy to set up when changing blades (no allen keys needed)..... I'm would recommend this saw to anyone plus it's got a 5 year warranty.

Seems like a fantastic saw. At the price point, money well spent IMHO.

Brian Tymchak
03-06-2017, 8:53 AM
I'm a little hesitant on it because 1) it's used so no warranty, 2) I've heard some pretty bad things about Rikon's trunnions failing (i.e.. crumbling to dust), 3) Laguna's guide system seems much more user-friendly

Hi Jonathan, I have the 10-325 and really like the saw. the deal with the accessories is a great deal. the stock guides are hard to get adjusted. I may follow Van's advice and get the upgraded guides from the 10-326.

Your comment about the failing trunnions bothers me a bit being an owner. I've never heard of this so I googled around for some info. In my search, albeit brief, I only found one post from someone who bumped into a very obviously bad casting and Rikon replaced the trunnions. I feel this is a very isolated issue, which every machine manufacturer will experience from time to time. Unless you have other info that indicates this is more than a single occurrence, I guess I would urge you to not place too much significance on this incident. I know I sound like a Rikon rep but I think I would be all over that Rikon deal, particularly for a first bandsaw.

Van Huskey
03-06-2017, 5:32 PM
Your comment about the failing trunnions bothers me a bit being an owner.

While I have seen it mentioned a few time on different forums I think it all stems from one isolated incident as best as I can tell, certainly not a pattern problem that I would be concerned with.

Jonathan Biccum
03-06-2017, 10:56 PM
The 14BX will probably do 95 percent of anything you could want and is probably dollar for dollar one of the best bandsaws on the market.

This is what I've been thinking and why I still keep coming back to it as my decision. I'd love to get a larger saw, but the 14" really fits perfectly into the small space I have right now. In 3 or 4 years when we move and I have more room, perhaps I'll get a larger saw. My neighbor across the street has a 20" PM bandsaw so if I run into something I really can't do on the 14, I'm willing to bet his saw will handle it.

Thanks for all the information/opinions everybody. It really has helped me confirm my choice. Much appreciated.

Chris Hachet
03-07-2017, 6:05 AM
This is what I've been thinking and why I still keep coming back to it as my decision. I'd love to get a larger saw, but the 14" really fits perfectly into the small space I have right now. In 3 or 4 years when we move and I have more room, perhaps I'll get a larger saw. My neighbor across the street has a 20" PM bandsaw so if I run into something I really can't do on the 14, I'm willing to bet his saw will handle it.

Thanks for all the information/opinions everybody. It really has helped me confirm my choice. Much appreciated.For what it's worth, about a 95 percent chance I'm going to be traveling out of state to pick up a Powermatic 20 inch at the end of the month, and I still would love to add a Laguna 14 BX or a nice Rikon 18 inch or the like to the tool fleet at some point.

Joe Shinall
03-07-2017, 6:58 AM
I'm going to jump on the Grizzly 19 bandwagon. I went rounds for 4 months on which one to buy and ended up going with it and could not be happier. Threw a Wood Slicer blade on it, urethane tires, tuned it in and I just resawed 9 inch walnut the other day like it was nothing. And I've been using that same blade for 3 years.

Keith Hankins
03-07-2017, 10:07 AM
Well, I've got the Grizzly 17"HD (with steel trunions the original). I've got it set up for resaw and use it pretty much for that. To be honest in all my years I've not made too many angled cuts with a band saw anyway so my table stays flat. I've hoisted some big stuff to cut like a 12/4" long plank to cut down, and its never failed me. For a second saw I have a little 14" delta 1934 original that i got for a little over 200 that gets the bulk of my bandsaw work. I used the griz for both functions for a long time, but I'm lazy and change over and tuning was a PIA. Now life is wonderful.

If given the choice I see no way a Rikon can compete with the laguna no way shape or form, been up close and pursonal with both brands.

First choice for me would be to find an old Delta (i mean old) and get that. Second would be the Laguna (cry once). The Griz would be a good thrid. Not a fan of Rikons.

Chris Hachet
03-07-2017, 10:14 AM
Well, I've got the Grizzly 17"HD (with steel trunions the original). I've got it set up for resaw and use it pretty much for that. To be honest in all my years I've not made too many angled cuts with a band saw anyway so my table stays flat. I've hoisted some big stuff to cut like a 12/4" long plank to cut down, and its never failed me. For a second saw I have a little 14" delta 1934 original that i got for a little over 200 that gets the bulk of my bandsaw work. I used the griz for both functions for a long time, but I'm lazy and change over and tuning was a PIA. Now life is wonderful.

If given the choice I see no way a Rikon can compete with the laguna no way shape or form, been up close and pursonal with both brands.

First choice for me would be to find an old Delta (i mean old) and get that. Second would be the Laguna (cry once). The Griz would be a good thrid. Not a fan of Rikons.Old Deltas are nice, I could see buying one to replace or supplement the Jet 14 inch band saw I currently use. Laguna and the Old Deltas are two wildly and completely different saws. Personally, I really like the idea of more than one band saw in a shop.

Chris Hachet
03-07-2017, 10:16 AM
I'm going to jump on the Grizzly 19 bandwagon. I went rounds for 4 months on which one to buy and ended up going with it and could not be happier. Threw a Wood Slicer blade on it, urethane tires, tuned it in and I just resawed 9 inch walnut the other day like it was nothing. And I've been using that same blade for 3 years.The thing that amazed me the first time I got to get up close and personal with a larger Grizzly band saw was just how nice the tool is.

I will consider it really strongly if I ever get another band saw. I will also strongly consider the 1023 if i ever replace my Unsiaw for whatever reason, although the Unsiaw is fine.

Joe Shinall
03-07-2017, 7:33 PM
Chris, I started off about to buy the cheapest 17" Grizzly bandsaw just to have something to use for resawing. I added 50 here and 50 there and another 50 here and I was up to a nice 17" top of the line with all the bells and whistles. Then I went, well damn, for $300 extra I can get the 19". So I sold myself into the 19 and kicked myself after I spent that much but looking back, I am so glad I made it work and swung the extra cash, even if it meant I couldn't buy anything else for a few months besides Ramen and tap water.... I've had mine for about 8 years I believe. I thought the blade was only a few years old but I put it on maybe 6 months after I bought it. Still slices like butta.

Van Huskey
03-07-2017, 7:54 PM
I've had mine for about 8 years I believe. I thought the blade was only a few years old but I put it on maybe 6 months after I bought it. Still slices like butta.

You have gotten incredible use out of that blade! I can get MAYBE 100 sq ft of cut (100 linear ft x 12" tall) in medium density hardwood out of a hardened spring steel blade and it is TOAST. I usually keep about 10 on hand and toss them after a single flitch.