PDA

View Full Version : Easy Drill Press Modification

CPeter James
03-03-2017, 1:35 PM
I did this modification to my mill/drill but it would work just as well on a drill press table lift. I got tired of the "stake" bouncing around when I wanted to turn the head and I have seen this on drill press tables as well. The modification uses a #608 bearing. These are easily available in any skateboard shop or on line. The notch can be made with a hacksaw and file and the holes drilled in the drill press. The bolts are 5/16".

The bearing is located such that the stake is just slightly lifted off its bottoming out position. By keeping the point of the stake in the groove, it prevents it from sliding off the ring.

CPeter

Frank Pratt
03-03-2017, 3:32 PM
I like it. That's something that has always bugged me about my drill press.

Dan Friedrichs
03-03-2017, 4:20 PM
I like it, too. Nice idea - I'll have to do it to my drill press, as well.

glenn bradley
03-03-2017, 6:47 PM
Thanks! That's great.

Robert Hayward
03-03-2017, 7:47 PM
I also like it ! I have a 30 something year old floor mounted drill press I bought new. I have cursed its designer every time I needed to rotate the table around the column.

What is the extra hole for ? Would a larger diameter bearing make the setup work smoother ?

CPeter James
03-03-2017, 10:10 PM
The extra hole is for increased strength and support in the outside piece. A larger bearing could work, but is probably not needed. The head on the mill/drill weighs over 200 pounds and the small bearing seems to carry it OK. I tried in the planning stages fitting a larger bearing but it raised issues. The outside piece would have to be thicker and you still only have a narrow ledge for the bearing to ride on. This worked and if it ever becomes an issue, I can change it. I felt that there was no need to make this any harder than necessary.

CPeter

John K Jordan
03-03-2017, 10:28 PM
That's a clever idea, especially if the rim is machined smooth. I may try that on my mill/drill.

JKJ