PDA

View Full Version : Saving Z axis position on Universal Laser????

Trent Sprenkle
03-03-2017, 9:42 AM
Is there a way to save a Z axis position on the ULS??

For example, we cut a lot of vinyl. The thickness will always be the same so instead of focusing the laser is there somewhere I can save or set the Z axis to go there when we cut vinyl?

Also, say I'm engraving a bat. I might need to move the Z three different times for a nice proper engrave. Is there a way to save these Z positions so I will always hit the right points every time when I do this particular bat?

Thanks, TS

Scott Shepherd
03-03-2017, 9:55 AM
Depends on which ULS you have. If it has the programmable Z-Axis, then yes, it's quite easy. Which model do you have?

Kev Williams
03-03-2017, 9:57 AM
You're gonna catch a lot of flak because you said "vinyl". ;) -- I have no problem with it, and as long as the smoke & fumes are immediately removed from the laser box and safely exhausted.

And looks like Steve has your answer :)

Nicolas Silva
03-03-2017, 10:51 AM
pencil and paper?

Gary Hair
03-03-2017, 10:58 AM
For example, we cut a lot of vinyl.

Hopefully you have a "replace the laser because I cut vinyl and now it's rusted out completely" fund... Might want to seek out lung donors as well, hydrochloric acid doesn't do them any favors.

Trent Sprenkle
03-03-2017, 12:12 PM
Depends on which ULS you have. If it has the programmable Z-Axis, then yes, it's quite easy. Which model do you have?

We run the VLS4.60.

Trent Sprenkle
03-03-2017, 12:16 PM
You're gonna catch a lot of flak because you said "vinyl". ;) -- I have no problem with it, and as long as the smoke & fumes are immediately removed from the laser box and safely exhausted.

And looks like Steve has your answer :)

We do mostly screen printing but a lot of heat press. The vinyl is safe to lasercut. Made sure of that!!!

Trent Sprenkle
03-03-2017, 12:45 PM
Hopefully you have a "replace the laser because I cut vinyl and now it's rusted out completely" fund... Might want to seek out lung donors as well, hydrochloric acid doesn't do them any favors.

No doubt, gary! The vinyl we cut is laser safe.

Lee DeRaud
03-03-2017, 12:46 PM
We run the VLS4.60.I'm pretty sure all the VL-series have the auto-Z function: it's a checkbox on the dialog where you set the power/speed. And you can use different colors (up to 7, I think) to vary power, speed, and Z-axis positions within a single job.

(Your mention of "bat" sounds like maybe you're using a rotary...I've never used one, so I'm not sure if the procedure is different for that.)

Trent Sprenkle
03-03-2017, 1:11 PM
I'm pretty sure all the VL-series have the auto-Z function: it's a checkbox on the dialog where you set the power/speed. And you can use different colors (up to 7, I think) to vary power, speed, and Z-axis positions within a single job.

(Your mention of "bat" sounds like maybe you're using a rotary...I've never used one, so I'm not sure if the procedure is different for that.)

Ah yea,Lee! I found that and also it has manual control as well. I can save a setting in there. No rotary here, just a few passes and moving the table up and down, hence my initial question.

Gary Hair
03-03-2017, 1:31 PM
No doubt, gary! The vinyl we cut is laser safe.

There is no such thing, it's either vinyl (pvc) or not and vinyl isn't safe to cut with a laser. However, if it's a polyester based film, not "vinyl", then it is safe.

Trent Sprenkle
03-07-2017, 9:34 AM
We get our vinyl from Stahl's. The material is polyurethane based. No bad brain melting gases.