PDA

View Full Version : Tires

Peter Stahl
03-03-2017, 5:44 AM
Anyone buy either Firestone or Michelin tires? If so which ones and how do you like the ride? I like the Michelin but we have a Firestone dealer much closer to our house. The Firestone FIRESTONE DESTINATION LE2 or the Michelin Michelin Defender LTX. Tires are for a Honda CRV. Where else to talk about tires, after all a woodworker probably made the first wheel.

Mike Null
03-03-2017, 7:39 AM
I haven't bought Firestone in a very long time. A couple of years ago I bought Cooper for my Odyssey and was very pleased. I'll buy them again when I need new tires.

I bought Michelin a few years back for another car and felt they were pretty good as well. I'm partial to a smooth, quiet ride with good wet weather traction.

Don Orr
03-03-2017, 7:51 AM
I have Michelins on my Prius and have had good luck. Second set now. 90,000 mile warranty is kind of a joke. I don't drive hard and barely got 60k out of them. They did pro-rate a discount on the new ones though. They will probably be the last tires for this car since I just hit 95k miles yesterday.

Kurt Kintner
03-03-2017, 8:28 AM
I have Firestone Defenders on my Ford Ranger, and Michelin Latitudes on the Nissan Murano...
I like both ....

Dom Garafalo
03-03-2017, 9:29 AM
My daughter's AWD Chevy Equinox had FIRESTONE DESTINATION LE2 tires as original equipment. They were reasonably quiet, good in rain and snow and lasted 50,000 miles. In fact, we liked them so well, we replaced them with the same ones. I'd buy them again without hesitation.

Jim Becker
03-03-2017, 10:49 AM
Defender LTX is reported to be an excellent tire...many folks in the Grand Cherokee world love them. (I went with Pirelli Scorpion Verde Plus, but the LTX was my second choice)

Jerry Bruette
03-03-2017, 11:39 AM
We put a set of Michelin Latitude Tour on our '07 CRV on 8/2010 and we're looking to replace them now. Been happy with the performance and traction in the winter.

You can go to Tire Rack and get all sorts of reviews and explanations about tires.

Art Mann
03-03-2017, 12:01 PM
In 2008, I bought a new SUV that came with Firestone tires. One of these tires was defective and the internal layers started separating. It was noisy and rode badly. We took it in to the local Firestone store exactly like the warranty instructed and they said they were not obligated to fix the tire. Eventually, I forced them to acknowledge that they were responsible for replacing the tire but their customer service was so offensive that I will walk before I will buy another Firestone tire. I refuse to buy a new vehicle that has Firestone OEM tires on it, regardless of any other features or reliability ratings.

Mac McQuinn
03-03-2017, 3:37 PM
I had (2) sets of Michelin Latitude Tours on my Highlander and was very happy with them, hence buying them twice.
No problem getting 75K out of the first set w/5K rotate intervals.
Mac

Andy Haney
03-03-2017, 4:09 PM
We run Firestone LE2 on both of our vehicles...a Toyota Highlander and a Tundra. We're on the second set due on each due to good luck with the first set. We got approximately 80k on each vehicle with the first set, and have been impressed with snow, ice and rain traction. Proximity of the Firestone store was a contributor to the original decision, making it easy to get in for regular rotation and any road hazard issues. We also liked that there should be a store nearby wherever we might need service while traveling.

Andy Haney

Jerome Stanek
03-03-2017, 6:31 PM
I had Firestone on my explorer and on my F 350 crew cab and I had 1 tire on the explorer and 2 on the 350 that had to be replaced Firestone only replaced the ones on the explorer due to a recall but would not do anything on the 350 one tire on it had a big bubble on the side wall inside and the other the bands broke when I was doing 70 on the interstate

Chris Padilla
03-03-2017, 7:49 PM
Go check out tirerack.com for reviews and options. I buy all my tires through them and get 'em drop-shipped to my favorite tire installer.

Rich Riddle
03-03-2017, 8:53 PM
We run Michelin tires on all our vehicles. The Michelin tires focused on rain work superb for us.

Shawn Pixley
03-03-2017, 9:02 PM
I run either Michelin or Pirelli on my cars. I favor softer rubber for better turning and braking grip (sacrificing wear longevity). I once ran Firestones on a Jeep but didn't like them much.

They are all quality tires. The real choice in my mind is, "what is your priority?"

Myk Rian
03-03-2017, 9:21 PM
Michelin on our 2010 Taurus, and General on my 2010 Ranger PU.
Both are the best tires I've ever had.

Peter Stahl
03-04-2017, 5:31 AM
Thanks for all the great replies. Looks like we'll be doing the Michelins.

Andy Haney
03-04-2017, 6:16 AM
We run Firestone LE2 on both of our vehicles...a Toyota Highlander and a Tundra. We're on the second set due on each due to good luck with the first set. We got approximately 80k on each vehicle with the first set, and have been impressed with snow, ice and rain traction. Proximity of the Firestone store was a contributor to the original decision, making it easy to get in for regular rotation and any road hazard issues. We also liked that there should be a store nearby wherever we might need service while traveling.

Andy Haney

Sorry Peter. I made an error when I reported 80k on LE2. I had approximately 80k on the truck when I put those on. I did get about 56k on them, however.

Andy

Jim Becker
03-04-2017, 9:29 AM
I admire that some folks are able to eek out significant mileage on various tires, but my experience has always been to not get close to the rated tread wear. Much of that is because I'm not willing to run tires once they get much below 6/32 because of wet traction, etc. I do a lot of highway miles at 65-70 mph and like to be "rooted" to the road accordingly. So 40-50K miles is about the most I expect out of tires and that's with regular rotation and making sure alignment is checked at reasonable intervals, too.

Harry Hagan
03-04-2017, 5:40 PM
My new vehicles come with Michelins installed. I have the dealer swap for Michelins if they're not standard equipment.

Lee DeRaud
03-04-2017, 6:13 PM
One thing to remember is that tires have a useful lifespan measured in years as well as miles, typically 5-6 years depending on climate. If you only drive a given car 6K miles a year, they're ready for replacement at 30-35K regardless of how much tread (or warranty) is left.

(I haven't actually "worn out" a set of tires since I retired.)

Bruce Wrenn
03-04-2017, 9:49 PM
I'm the odd ball here. We run Hankooks on our vehicles. My 90 Honda Civic has two on rear that are "timed out," despite only having 100K on them. I order my tires thru Walmart and have local store install them. Last set for wife's SUV were $60 dollars cheaper online, and were in store next day. Store they said it would be at least week getting them in if ordered thru store. Go figure.

Keith Westfall
03-04-2017, 11:09 PM
My truck (Ram 1500) came with the Goodyear Pro Series. 10 ply 18" (I think) and were warrantied for 75,000, (talking KM here in the North! - 47,000 miles). I got 86,000 out of them and only changed as it was fall heading into winter, plus they had a buy 3 get 4 sale. Replaced them with the same tire which are now warrantied for 95,000 - 60,000 miles. Fully expect to get it.

They rotate every 10,000 for free and fix flats for free. Got them at the local Fountain Tire and like them so much, I put them on the daughter's SUV (2006 Dodge Durango).

They are quiet, run all year round, and I am very satisfied.

Lee DeRaud
03-04-2017, 11:41 PM
I'm the odd ball here. We run Hankooks on our vehicles.Had Ventus V12's on the Boxster and the Corvette, loved them. Started out with them when I discovered that a set of four for the Porsche were $100 less than the two rear Michelin PS2s it needed when I bought it. Will probably replace the all-season Michelins on the Honda with them when the time comes...if not sooner: it's not like I see a lot of snow around here.

Leo Graywacz
03-04-2017, 11:58 PM
I run Firestone Destination A/T 10 ply on my 2500HD. The ride is nice along with the other specs. Go good in dry, rain and snow. Not the greatest mileage out of them. I've had 3 sets of different tires on my truck and they all go for about 35K miles before I think they need replacing. Usually because winter is coming up and the tread is getting shallow. If there was no snow I'd probably get another 10K out of them.

roger wiegand
03-05-2017, 4:29 AM
The reviews on tirerack tend to be quite useful. It really depends on what kind of driving (and what you are willing to pay to achieve marginal differences in performance). Brand is not a particularly useful distinction, as big companies like Firestone or Michelin make tires that run the gamut from cheapo pedestrian to exotic special purpose racing tires.

Russ Filtz
03-05-2017, 8:53 AM
I second Tirerack. I don't believe Michelins are worth the price. I run whatever gets good reviews. I've used Bridgestones, Dunlops, Conti's, you name it. Recently bought some very cheap Sumitomo's based on Tirerack reviews (like $110 per tire). Works and looks great so far. On a all wheel drive BMW.

Matt Meiser
03-05-2017, 3:54 PM
I just replaced 5 year old Michelins with 35,000 miles on our Escape. They had a ton of treadlife left but were cracking between the treads. Reading this appears to e a common Michelin issue.

I prefer to buy tires from a major regional chain. They are actually competitive with Tire Rack overall on installed tires, but for another $20 a corner they offer a road hazard warranty that includes rotation, balancing, alignment checks, flat repairs and replacement if not repairable (and they are quick to pull the trigger on replacement over repair if there's any question.) And they now have a Cooper-made store brand that gets great reviews and great pricing.

Steve Peterson
03-05-2017, 5:11 PM
I admire that some folks are able to eek out significant mileage on various tires, but my experience has always been to not get close to the rated tread wear.

There may be a few other factors also. Some people seem to put 20-30K miles per year. That must be a lot of highway miles that should be fairly easy on the tires. Most of my miles are stop and go city driving or winding country roads. Both conditions lead to a lot more tire wear.

Steve

Lee DeRaud
03-05-2017, 5:29 PM
There may be a few other factors also. Some people seem to put 20-30K miles per year. That must be a lot of highway miles that should be fairly easy on the tires. Most of my miles are stop and go city driving or winding country roads. Both conditions lead to a lot more tire wear.Sticky tires on a sports car. DAMHIKT.

Robert Willing
03-05-2017, 8:44 PM
I have a Prius also 180,000. Breaks replaced at 125,00 tires a different story, never more than 40,000 no madder which brand.

Steve Peterson
03-06-2017, 12:34 PM
Sticky tires on a sports car. DAMHIKT.

That is another good point. The most important tire characteristic is their ability to grip the road. I don't want tires that last 100K miles if they are made with rock hard rubber.

Steve

Jerome Stanek
03-06-2017, 1:16 PM
You have to also take into consideration where in the country you are located. Tires in hot dry climates will dry out quicker especially if you park in the sun

Matt Marsh
03-07-2017, 11:30 AM
My two previous pickup trucks came standard with Bridgestone Duelers, both trucks wore them out with less than 45k miles on them, and had numerous punctures from the small, sharp rocks on my local gravel roads. The first pickup (97 Sonoma), I replaced with Toyo ATs, but was not impressed with traction on the slippery winter roads. I replaced those with Michelin LTX AT/2s. Best tires I've ever owned. I traded the Sonoma for a new Sierra Crew cab in 2005, with over 50k on the Michelins. I replaced the Duelers on the 2005 with Michelins at just around 38,000 miles. In 2014, I traded the 2005 Sierra for a new Sierra Denali Crew cab (current vehicle). Those Michelins had around 59k on them at that time, and still had tread life remaining. The Denali came stock with 275/75/20 Goodyear Wrangler HTs. Good tread life, but horrible traction on the winter roads. Now with 54k miles on the Goodyears, I recently bought 4 new 285/75/20 load range E Michelins ($CHA-CHING!$) that I will install within the next month or two before I start towing the new camper.

Bob Turkovich
03-07-2017, 3:59 PM
I thought I'd put this out there as this subject has covered many different factors that go into tire selection.

When the OEM's are putting out a new model, they will ask the tire supply base to quote to meeting a spider chart specifying different required characteristics. Here's a general example of a spider chart from Michelin comparing two of their tires:

The specific targets for each characteristic will vary depending on the target market for the vehicle. For example, a luxury sedan will have a higher target for NVH (noise) where a performance coupe will have higher targets for handling & braking. It's been awhile since I've seen an actual chart (retired for 9 years) but typically the opposite spokes on the web will be in conflict with each other. I do know that the rolling resistance target has increased through the years because of tougher fleet fuel economy regulations.

My point is if you're replacing tires and were happy with the original performance, you need to match the spider chart as close as possible. Good luck since this chart isn't typically available (in which case you need to trust the supplier that you're buying from.) EDIT: I just took a look at tirerack.com. While they have a few spider charts, they have a pretty good selection process to help pick tires. You enter the vehicle information - it then gives you a guideline on the original OEM tire and then offers you an opportunity to change certain attributes (i.e. I want a better tire for wet conditions) before giving you their recommendations.