PDA

View Full Version : Rack Em Up

John Terefenko
03-02-2017, 10:20 PM
This is another project that I made and entered into a contest over at the IAP pen turning site. Along with my pen stand which I recently posted here, I entered this pen box in the Pen Box contest. Thought you might like to see it. Thanks for looking.

Anyone for a cool game of billiards. Now the contests are over I would like to show off my 2017 Pen Box entry. This too happened to take first place. I had this idea in my head for over a year but was just not able to make it till I was able to return to my shop. I have to say I am sort of strutting my feathers on this one because it came out almost as nice as I envisioned it. I will say I had to make many jigs to pull this off because every detail needed a cut that is not normal. Doing all the compound angle cuts was challenging. Drilling the holes for the pockets needed a jig as well as cutting the rails and trim work. The rails and pockets are joined with mortise and tenon joints because end grain is not a very strong glue joint. I did have an oops when I tried flocking the table and rails. The paint/glue I used was too thick and the fibers did not stick well. I had another can of the stuff so I was able to sand back the old and add the new and it came out well. Was able to get it done in time too. Thanks for looking and any questions or comments are always welcomed. Hopefully I can get the pen I have designed for the box done, very soon.

I have included a full size billiard ball that I make clocks out of 2-1/4" for size reference.

My replica pool table box is made from Birdseye Maple and Gabon Ebony. It's measurements are 4-1/2" X 9" which is a scaled down version of a professional table. It was dipped in BLO and then top coated with 6 coats of satin lacquer. The table top has green flocking on the table as well as the bumpers.
The cues were turned from maple blanks and are also satin lacquered. The butt grips are wrapped with carbon fiber. The billiard balls are miniature replicas. The rail sites are round black Swarovski crystals.
All the materials used were cut and angled using various jigs. The table is an easy lift off to access the pen box compartment which has a green plush felt cushion for any size pen. The lid has guide blocks to properly seat it easily on the box.
This is a neat little box which will enhance that special pen for that special billiard fan.

Lee Schierer
03-03-2017, 7:46 AM
Very nice work. Can you actually play pool or are the balls glued in place?

David Falkner
03-03-2017, 8:15 AM
Very nice work, indeed!! Good job, John, and a good eye for detail.

Bruce Volden
03-03-2017, 9:42 AM
I didn't see the "Granny" stick:D!

VERY nice work and it looks fun.

Bruce

John Terefenko
03-03-2017, 10:36 AM
Very nice work. Can you actually play pool or are the balls glued in place?

All glued in place because you take the top off and on for access to the pen compartment. Those little suckers would be rolling all over the place. They did when I was trying to glue them together.

John Terefenko
03-06-2017, 12:52 PM
Bumping this to the top. Many views but so few comments.

Robert Willing
03-09-2017, 9:25 PM
OK so how did you safely hold those small piece, and what fixture did you use? Great piece of work by the way! Love the wood contrast. Just an observation the cues seem to be oversize as compared to the balls.

John Terefenko
03-09-2017, 10:15 PM
OK so how did you safely hold those small piece, and what fixture did you use? Great piece of work by the way! Love the wood contrast. Just an observation the cues seem to be oversize as compared to the balls.

Yea maybe but it was the realistic theme I was after. I used alot of different jigs and a lot of double sided tape and adhered to larger pieces of wood.