PDA

View Full Version : First impressions: Dubuque bar clamps

Frederick Skelly
03-02-2017, 9:14 PM
Bought some Dubuque bar clamps. (Been on a binge lately with clamps.) First impressions:
* Fit/finish are good. The parts move along the bar smoothly and lock into place tightly. Some of the welds could have been ground "prettier" but so what ? - it's a clamp.
* The bar is rock solid. In practice glueups (all dry - no glue), I couldnt get it to flex at all.
* I was concerned about the effectiveness of the butterfly handles. They turned out to be easy to tighten. I was able to excerpt as much clamping force as I needed. I did not joint the boards and the joints were very tight.
* The panel was easy to keep flat and square too.

These clamps really do live up to all the hype - they are nice tools. I'll gladly buy more if I need them. They were right at $24 each, for two-footers, including tax/title/licence.

Fred

Matt Day
03-02-2017, 10:53 PM
I was unaware of said hype. I think I've seen them in the LV catalog but never given them a second thought.

Bill Dindner
03-02-2017, 11:04 PM
I've been waiting a while for a sale of the Jet parallel clamps, but haven't seen a decent one in a long while. I'll take a look at those though.

Patrick Irish
03-02-2017, 11:06 PM
Look just like the Rockler blue aluminum clamps. I have 3 of the rockler clamps and like them a lot.

Rick Potter
03-03-2017, 5:36 AM
Somewhere recently, I read a review of clamps, and the Dubuque aluminum bar clamps were the only ones of that type to have the jaws remain parallel. Rockler clamps I have flex much more than the Jorgenson clamps of the same type....thinner aluminum.

I have some Dubuque's on the list.

Robin Frierson
03-03-2017, 6:04 AM
I've got four of those Dubuque clamps, 48 in and I really like him. Sometimes you need a lightweight clamp and they fit the bill.

Frederick Skelly
03-03-2017, 6:18 AM
I was unaware of said hype. I think I've seen them in the LV catalog but never given them a second thought.

Perhaps hype was the wrong word. But many places I've seen them discussed/reviewed (or advertized by vendors whose opinions I value, like TBT or TFWW), they are said to be very good, high quality tools. My first look confirms that to my satisfaction.

And I agree - never gave them a second thought either. Until I recently realized that the F-clamps I've used forever aren't always the best answer for the projects I build. YMMV.

Frederick Skelly
03-03-2017, 6:25 AM
I've been waiting a while for a sale of the Jet parallel clamps, but haven't seen a decent one in a long while. I'll take a look at those though.

I was too - like the JETs a lot. But it might be that the JETs are better for assembly and the Dubuques are better for flat panel glue ups. Not sure yet, but I do like these. The best out-the door price that I found was at The Best Things. Even with shipping.

Doug Ladendorf
03-03-2017, 12:51 PM
They are made in the USA by a family business too, unlike lookalikes.

Dave Macy
03-04-2017, 8:44 AM
I have a few small sets of the 36" and like them a lot. They're certainly good enough for me.

Greg Parrish
03-04-2017, 9:06 AM
I've it about 14 to 16 of these clamps. Half in 24" and half in 48" I love them for panel glue ups. I alternate top and bottom with them. After paying too much for the first ones I found this website for the rest. Saved a few bucks. I have no affiliation but got good service and a good experience with the company.

https://www.thebestthings.com/newtools/uniclamps.htm

David L Morse
03-04-2017, 9:45 AM
... I love them for panel glue ups. I alternate top and bottom with them.
Does dried glue in the slots cause you any problems?

glenn bradley
03-04-2017, 9:58 AM
Hi Fred, Where did you get them at that price please?

Marc Burt
03-04-2017, 10:01 AM
How much depth is in the actual jaws?

I'll need some long (70"ish) clamps for an upcoming projects and these are MUCH cheaper than parallel clamps in that length. But since I will need them for assembly I feel the longer jaws of the parallel clamps would be an asset.

Chris True
03-04-2017, 10:06 AM
pro.woodworker.com, $21.82 per clamp for 6 24". Plis about $10 shipping.

David T gray
03-04-2017, 1:17 PM

I'll need some long (70"ish) clamps for an upcoming projects and these are MUCH cheaper than parallel clamps in that length. But since I will need them for assembly I feel the longer jaws of the parallel clamps would be an asset. u can stick 2 parallel clamps together

Frederick Skelly
03-04-2017, 2:47 PM
Hi Fred, Where did you get them at that price please?

Hi Glenn - got them at The Best Things. That's Lee Richmond's place. I can also recommend them as a good source of old wooden planes. I agree with Greg in post #11 - good company, good advice good service. In fact, I called Lee after work yesterday to tell him how right he was in recommending these. IIRC, they go by the name Universal Clamps on some websites.

(Edit: To get that price I bought a pack of 10, which I should have made clear in my original post. Sorry guys, I didnt mean to mislead anyone on that. IIRC, a pack of 4 was about $95 + $15 shipping. Post #15 shows another choice - I priced a set of 4 there and it was just over $100, including shipping.)

Frederick Skelly
03-04-2017, 2:50 PM

I'll need some long (70"ish) clamps for an upcoming projects and these are MUCH cheaper than parallel clamps in that length. But since I will need them for assembly I feel the longer jaws of the parallel clamps would be an asset.

Marc, I just measured them. The jaws are 1 1/2" deep by 1 1/2" wide.

Greg Parrish
03-04-2017, 3:05 PM
To prevent glue issues put painters tape on them during use.

Frederick Skelly
03-04-2017, 3:09 PM
To prevent glue issues put painters tape on them during use.

You can wax them too.