PDA

View Full Version : Mini Max T-401?

Andrew J. Coholic
03-02-2017, 9:14 PM
Just curious if anyone has or has had one of these smaller shapers - has an integral sliding table with outrigger, from the looks of it.

Im looking at getting a second shaper for our shop mainly to have a tenon setup when we are doing doors, and leaving the sticking set up on the larger 7.5HP Cantek.

There is one of these used up for sale about 10 hrs from me, looks like a decent refurb. But I cant find any additional info on the internet. Its not a real heavy machine - and only 4 HP but looks like it would be fine for cabinet and the few dozen man doors a year we make. Again, I am looking at something dedicated to tenoning using dedicated door cutters.

Any info, good or bad appreciated. Thanks.

J.R. Rutter
03-02-2017, 10:46 PM
I had a couple of T-40 shapers and they were solid runners with occasional electrical hiccups in the switches that required cleaning from time to time. They didn't have the outrigger, so I don't know how well those work. I heard from one of my tooling sales reps that it is somewhat common for people to take the coping table/sled from a Unique coper and install it on the T-40 as an upgrade.

[edit] I see from googling that the 401 is a tilting spindle version? I would be slightly hesitant about it vs the column mounted spindle on a light shaper like this, but have never used on to know it this is a non-issue.

Andrew J. Coholic
03-04-2017, 8:40 PM
Just bumping this to see if at least someone has had any experience with this shaper? Seems like it wasnt too popular.

Larry Edgerton
03-05-2017, 5:14 AM
I had T40 fixed spindle with the slider, itwas acceptable, It made me a lot of money, and then I went bigger, but yes, it is a nice little shaper. Hood was a bit on the light side, only adjusted one side, but the carriage worked pretty well for cope work. I was not sorry that I owned t.