PDA

View Full Version : Wiping on varnish question...

David Rose
06-21-2003, 12:13 AM
Michael Dresdner likes to apply poly full strength with a gray Scotchbrite pad. I thought I would give that a shot tonight only no poly in the house.

I decided to apply some Behlen's Rock Hard Table Top with the Scotchbrite. That stuff is fairly thick, about like honey, not listed on the can as poly, and fairly quick drying.

Applying it to some flat panels of walnut sanded to 220 (in case any of that matters) the stuff was tough to remove. I left it on long enough to cover about 3 square feet. Only 3 or 4 minutes. I had to resort to solvent to "wipe it off" which defeats the purpose of full strength application. BTW it was about 80 degrees and 60 percent humidity when I applied it.

Is the stuff too thick for this type application? Is it the wrong type varnish? Michael does mention cutting varnish with BLO if it needs more drying time. If no one has a better idea as to the problem, I'll try this tomorrow.

Should you just lightly coat the surface or soak it or in between? The pad doesn't pick up a lot with it this thick.

David