PDA

View Full Version : RGB or CMYK

Jacob Pruitt
03-02-2017, 9:17 AM
Hello, using an epilog 50watt helix with Corel x7, does it matter what color mode I'm in? I typically make vector lines red and raster engraving black. I do notice that RGB appears darker on the screen. Thanks!

Tony Lenkic
03-02-2017, 10:44 AM
RGB only for lasers.

Jacob Pruitt
03-02-2017, 11:45 AM
Thank you. But, why?

Gary Hair
03-02-2017, 11:50 AM
Thank you. But, why?

That's the way they are setup.

Jacob Pruitt
03-02-2017, 11:53 AM
Much Appreciated. I've had CMYK by default in corel draw all this time. We'll see if i notice any changes. Any changes i should look for?

Kev Williams
03-02-2017, 1:16 PM
All I've ever used is CYMK palettes and settings, never had an issue with any of my lasers...

vic casware
03-02-2017, 4:07 PM
Hi Jacob,
My Helix is the same, seems to make no difference what black you use it works fine, run the same file in the Fusion though
CMYK comes out like a checker pattern like you've run it at 50dpi

Lee DeRaud
03-02-2017, 4:31 PM
On ULS machines, it used to matter: RGB was the only thing that would work.

But that was in the days of Corel 11 and Windows XP. With the current OS/driver/firmware, it doesn't appear to care. As I recall, there's a Windows printer driver property that tells the printing software what color space a device can accept so it can do the conversion on output. I suspect that at some point in the past, either the ULS driver(s) didn't set it properly or the Corel of the day ignored it.

My upgrade to X7 (from X4) happened shortly after a computer upgrade that required the latest ULS driver/firmware so I could run 64-bit Win7. It was several months later, when looking at some old files, that I realized that Corel was firmly stuck in CMYK and the laser hadn't noticed.

Scott Shepherd
03-02-2017, 5:31 PM
Trotec and ULS have their own color palettes. You load them and the only colors in the palette are colors that are compatible with the drivers (for sorting by colors, etc.).