PDA

View Full Version : Remove Entrance Door Hinge

Sam Guo
03-01-2017, 9:54 PM
SMC folks,

Here is my issue: I plan to remove the entrance door of our house and re-paint/-coat it and try to figure out an easiest way to take the door hinges off. Among the three hinges on the door, the one in the middle has a small metallic rod, inserted into a small hole across the hinge pin, as shown in the attached picture; I think this small rod is supposed to be a safety feature preventing the removal of the pin. However, the rod seems not to have a set-screw head that I have seen before; I have difficulty of removing the rod and taking off the hinge pin.
I was wondering if the folks on this forum had similar experience of removing the hinge like this, or use a particular tool for this. I was thinking about drill into the hole/rod using a slightly larger drill bit and then re-tap a thread for a set-screw. The other way was to remove the entire hinge from the side of the door or the side of the frame, by taking the screws off; I do notice that a couple of the Philips screws head are stripped and I might have some difficulty of unscrew them.

Any suggestions/recommendations are welcome.

Rgds
Sam 355165

Keith Westfall
03-01-2017, 11:10 PM
Take the hinge off the door...

Why try and destroy the hinge?

Stephen Tashiro
03-02-2017, 12:07 AM
I think this small rod is supposed to be a safety feature preventing the removal of the pin.

Are your door hinges on the outside of you house?

Sam Murdoch
03-02-2017, 6:35 AM
Take the hinge off the door...

Why try and destroy the hinge?

Removal the hinges from the door. Open the door support it underneath with shims - remove the screws from the jamb side. Then once the door is free, remove the hinges from the door. Worth marking the top and bottom hinges so that they go back in the same orientation.

Rick Moyer
03-02-2017, 8:59 AM
I'm pretty sure Sam knows he can remove the hinge from the door, as he mentioned that the screws are stripped and may be difficult to remove. His question is about the pin going thru the center of the hinge. I don't have an answer for that, but telling him to remove the hinge from the door isn't really answering his question.

Karl Andersson
03-02-2017, 9:08 AM
just blowing up the image online it looks like that might be a threaded hole with a set screw snapped off in it - if it doesn't go all the way through to the other side. If that's the case, maybe you can grind the stub off with a Dremel or small wheel enough that you can drive the hinge pin out, then drill and easy-out the remainder or just drill and re-tap for a larger screw.

If, as Stephen suggests, the hinges are on the inside of the house, then you wouldn't need the added security, would you? I've only seen exterior residential doors open into the building; commercial fire doors are the only ones I know that typically open outwards.

Sam Guo
03-02-2017, 10:55 AM
The hinge is on the inside of my house.
Thanks
Sam

Malcolm McLeod
03-02-2017, 11:14 AM
I've not seen a hinge like that, but the first thought I had was to determine if the small pin is threaded to 'jam' the hinge pin, or smooth to insert into a matching hole in the hinge pin? I would try to turn the hinge pin - - If it does turn, likely you could drive the hinge pin out in spite of the 'jam screw'.

If the hinge pin does not turn, then you're probably looking at your plan to drill the small one out. Or, maybe you could try a very small screw extractor to pull the 'jam screw'? With a steady hand and lots of patience.

Myk Rian
03-02-2017, 2:15 PM
That does look like a set screw. The hinge is threaded. You can see that when zoomed in on it.
Why not remove those hinges however you can, then replace them with new.

Jim Koepke
03-02-2017, 3:24 PM
This is the kind of thing to make me happy for having left hand drill bits.

jtk

Sam Murdoch
03-02-2017, 6:04 PM
I'm pretty sure Sam knows he can remove the hinge from the door, as he mentioned that the screws are stripped and may be difficult to remove. His question is about the pin going thru the center of the hinge. I don't have an answer for that, but telling him to remove the hinge from the door isn't really answering his question.

My understanding was that he intended to remove the hinge pins in order to free the door. By my interpretation - which may very well be wrong - removing the pins isn't necessary to remove the door - so the stop in the pin is of no consequence.

John Grider
03-02-2017, 6:33 PM
As for the stripped screws, these things have worked well for me.

https://www.amazon.com/Damaged-Remover-Extractor-Product-Stop/dp/B00MZCEBII

Larry Edgerton
03-02-2017, 8:17 PM
My understanding was that he intended to remove the hinge pins in order to free the door. By my interpretation - which may very well be wrong - removing the pins isn't necessary to remove the door - so the stop in the pin is of no consequence.

Do you understand why I don't say much these days Sam? By the way, I would have done it the exact same way.

Ronald Blue
03-02-2017, 8:40 PM
If the screw is stripped out that secures the hinge remove one that isn't stripped so you know the screw size. Then take a drill bit just slightly larger then the screw shank or unthreaded part and drill into the stripped hole. It will be centered on the screw. When you drill deep enough the head will pop off. After you get the hinge removed you should be able to remove the remaining screw with vise grips.

Sam Guo
03-02-2017, 10:21 PM

I was not sure if there is a particular tool or method that can be used to easily remove the pin in my situation; if there is, it could be easier than removing the stripped screws. The post was not about having to remove the pin in order to remove the door; I am well aware that taking off the screws leads to removing the door, which was clearly stated in my original post.

-Sam

Don Orr
03-03-2017, 7:59 AM
I might remove just the middle hinge and take it to my bench and work on it there where it would be easier to manipulate than still mounted to the door and jamb. Leave the other 2 hinges to hold the door. Just go easy on the stripped screws and you should be able to get them out. Replace them with new screws when remounting the hinge. Hope you get this figured out. I've not seen a hinge like that but I don't work in building trades.

Jerome Stanek
03-03-2017, 9:12 AM
The hinge is on the inside of my house.
Thanks
Sam

Then you do not need the set screw. NRP are for out swing exterior door.