PDA

View Full Version : Bluegrass Coping Saw

Kekoa Schlesinger
03-01-2017, 6:33 PM
Hello All,

I came upon a Bluegrass coping saw today at the shop. I did a quick search and didn't't come up with too much. Bluegrass Tools was a line produced by Belknap Tool & Manufacturing Co. I did find an old catalog in PDF form that had a price of $2.98 on it from 1985. Kinda cool I guess. Does anyone have any other info on them? Were they just a Mickey Mouse tool or were they quality tools? The one I have in my hands right now looks/seems fine. I guess I'm just curious and always love a trip into the rabbit hole. Thanks community!

Kekoa
http://www.blackburntools.com/articles/rose-tools-catalog-archives/pdfs/belknap-1985-blue-grass-tools.pdf

lowell holmes
03-01-2017, 7:33 PM
I have some Bluegrass tools and I value them. They all are quality and pleasant to use. I have a Bluegrass hammer, chisel, and a draw knife. I will not part with them.
If I came across a coping saw, I absolutely would buy it.

Rick Whitehead
03-01-2017, 8:00 PM
Most of the Bluegrass tools I have had have been very high quality. Their hammers are still sought after and used by carpenters.
I had a set of their plastic-handled chisels once, and they were not very good. The steel was OK, but the backs were concave, and required a belt sander to flatten.
Most of their other tools,however, were high quality.
Rick

Kekoa Schlesinger
03-01-2017, 8:41 PM
I am excited to hear your opinion. As was the initial feeling of stumbling across the saw. It is in pretty decent condition. The stamp on the handle is still visible as well with the mill stamp on the frame. A new blade and it'll add nicely to my collection. Thanks again.

Kekoa

Joe Kieve
03-02-2017, 10:18 AM
I have a 7 oz. wood handle Bluegrass hammer I bought in 1972. Still my go to hammer when I have small stuff to tack.

lowell holmes
03-02-2017, 10:22 AM
I have a 7 oz. wood handle Bluegrass hammer I bought in 1972. Still my go to hammer when I have small stuff to tack.

One of my Bluegrass hammers is a 7 oz. hammer as well. I'm really fond of it.