PDA

View Full Version : Crown Molding in Bathroom - Over Shower Stall??

George Bokros
03-01-2017, 8:22 AM
I am about to embark on a project of installing stained and poly crown molding the the master bath. We have a fiberglass stall shower in the bathroom. My question is should I install it over the shower? I can end it with returns and not run it over the shower but prefer to install it over the shower so it is continuous. There is an exhaust fan in the bathroom and we run it when ever we shower but it is not over the shower which is where I believe it should have been installed rather it is over the toilet.

My question is should I be worried about the moisture damaging the finish on the crown molding? Would you install it over the shower if it were your bathroom?

Thanks.

Bryan Lisowski
03-01-2017, 9:19 AM
I don't think you will have a problem with it in the shower. The water probably won't ever touch unless you really like splashing around. I thought the same thing about the exhaust fan location, but when I added one to my bath, by code it couldn't be located within the foot print of the shower or tub.

Chris Hachet
03-01-2017, 9:23 AM
I have wood trim, above the ceramic tile in my shower stall in my secondary upstairs bathroom, 4 years later all is good.

Jim Becker
03-01-2017, 9:39 AM
I also don't see any problem with this and it might look strange and "incomplete" without the crown.

Sam Murdoch
03-01-2017, 6:53 PM
Agree - to all the above - I would not hesitate.

Martin Wasner
03-01-2017, 7:51 PM
I personally wouldn't. Moisture in a bathroom is tough anyways, putting wood up high where the air is the warmest and carries the most moisture seems like potential for problems.

I could be completely wrong though.

Mel Fulks
03-01-2017, 8:37 PM
I just don't think bathrooms need crown. Think it's just out of place. But ,hey...I think those benches that could seat the whole neighborhood are kinda out of place!

Von Bickley
03-01-2017, 11:22 PM
I have crown molding around my bathroom & a fiberglass shower stall. No problems and it looks great.

Patrick Walsh
03-01-2017, 11:51 PM
Do it all the time and have for decades now.

I trust it enough when i did my own bath about twelve years ago now i put crown around the whole thing.

I did paint it with Fine Paints of Europe Holindac or in planer terms a very high quality oil based paint. I have not done a thing to it in those twelve years and it looks as good as the day i finished painting it.

Cary Falk
03-02-2017, 1:09 AM
I put painted crown in our bathroom and above the shower years ago without issue

Jim Dwight
03-02-2017, 8:50 PM
I am sure it will work but I would make sure there is some finish on the back side. It will see more humidity than in other locations and making sure it has some finish on all surfaces will reduce the rate at which it picks up moisture. I see that as compensating for the humidity. You can probably get by without it but I would do it just-in-case. I am redoing a bathroom right now (but it will not have crown). I have back primed all the trim. I am building the cabinet at the moment, it will have at least one coat of poly all over it.