View Full Version : Laguna 1412 bandsaw used. What is a good price?

Rick Pinzon
02-28-2017, 6:27 PM
Hello,

I am interested in a Laguna 1412 bandsaw that is supposed to be in pretty new condition. Guy said it was hardly used and it also comes with a few extra blades. What is a this saw worth if it has been hardly used?

Thank you

Raymond Seward
02-28-2017, 6:31 PM
Hello,

I am interested in a Laguna 1412 bandsaw that is supposed to be in pretty new condition. Guy said it was hardly used and it also comes with a few extra blades. What is a this saw worth if it has been hardly used?

Thank you

I have one and love it....great BS...what comes with it accessory wise and how much does the guy want for it?

Rick Pinzon
02-28-2017, 6:35 PM
Not sure what accessories he has other than than several blades. He just wants me to offer him a price. Its one of those situations where he will keep it unless he hears a price he likes I guess.

Joe A Faulkner
02-28-2017, 7:00 PM
If tools have been well cared for and seen little use, my general rule of thumb is to pay 70-75% of retail tops. Much more than that, and I'd just as soon buy new so that I know what I have. So for me, I'd go $770 - $825 ballpark on this saw. Another more important question is what do you really want in a bandsaw? For me, I wanted re-saw capacity and power over a general purpose saw for doing scroll work. This lead me to look at the 17-18" models - though the Laguna 14 SUV was in the running. So this saw at a good price may not be the best buy unless this saw is the saw you are looking for. Hope this helps.

Art Mann
02-28-2017, 7:17 PM
Do not be misled. The Laguna 14/12 will do a nice job of resawing hardwood lumber up to 12 inches tall. I know because I do it all the time. Of course you can get better speed with a more powerful saw but you will not get a better cut. The extra size is needed for long heavy material. I normally cut the stock close to the correct length before resawing so I don't have a big clumsy piece requiring a big saw.

Raymond Seward
02-28-2017, 7:32 PM
Not sure what accessories he has other than than several blades. He just wants me to offer him a price. Its one of those situations where he will keep it unless he hears a price he likes I guess.

Well accessories would include a light and the mobility kit....saw now is $1100 new....+ about $200 for the accessories. If he doesn't want to give you a price, just tell him "I can't sell it & buy it too" or hit him low....if he says no he does have a price in mind and ask him what it is....

Robert Hayward
02-28-2017, 7:40 PM
Sounds to me like the seller is fishing for a price higher than he would be willing to sell it for. When a seller gives me the what are you willing to pay line I tell them I am not in the habit of telling someone what their stuff is worth.

Rick Pinzon
02-28-2017, 7:56 PM
I offered $600 to find out what he wants and he countered with $800

Van Huskey
02-28-2017, 8:37 PM
I offered $600 to find out what he wants and he countered with $800

Find out which blades he has (a Resaw King for example is a $150 115" blade). Also find out what accessories these things can make a big difference in value.

Chris Hachet
03-01-2017, 4:45 AM
One sold for about 800 iirc off of the Columbus Craigslist, it came with the light, mobility kit and iirc one resaw king blade. But Columbus is a big market and a fairly prosperous city, I would actually think it might go a little cheaper in other markets.

Bill Sutherland
03-01-2017, 8:36 AM
Not a 1412 but the Rikon 326 is $850 and a lot of folks seem to be comparing the saws to each other. Woodcraft has them on sale until 3/20. 5 yr guarantee.
I don't like it when someone says they want to sell something and won't give a price. I'd pass.

Chris Hachet
03-01-2017, 9:26 AM
Not a 1412 but the Rikon 326 is $850 and a lot of folks seem to be comparing the saws to each other. Woodcraft has them on sale until 3/20. 5 yr guarantee.
I don't like it when someone says they want to sell something and won't give a price. I'd pass.

I don't own the Rikon, but that seems like a screaming deal for a saw like that with a warranty like that.

fRED mCnEILL
03-01-2017, 1:45 PM
"I don't like it when someone says they want to sell something and won't give a price. I'd pass."
Just lowball him.You'll find out real quick what he will take.

Raymond Seward
03-01-2017, 5:15 PM
Hello,

Thank you

Rick....I just received an email from Laguna.....they have 13 14Twelve demo machines on sale for $875.....there are others as well....they may even have a warranty...not sure
https://lagunatools.com/march-madness-deals/
scroll down....HTH

Scott Reed
03-01-2017, 8:07 PM
Got the same email. I believe they're doing free shipping, as well. I have the 14/12 and love it.

Marty Schlosser
03-01-2017, 8:43 PM
What I always do for a used machine is first thoroughly check it out: turn it on, do some cuts on lumber you bring over yourself, which should tell you if it'll work for you. After making sure it actually works as well as it should, I unplug it and thoroughly check for casting breaks, bad rust, missing parts (including guards, fence, bolts, ett.), and ensuring the accessories being offered are meant for the machine.

Only if I'm fully satisifed with all the above will I offer a starting point figure. For me, that's 50% of the current retail price of the tool (in this case that's $440 because of the sale going on right now) plus 50% of the going price for accessories that go with it. Remember that quite often retailers will bundle a number of accessories for a special deal to entice the original buyer... so offering 50% for them is, to my way of thinking, how it goes. Don't include any taxes or shipping the original owner may have paid in that 50% calculation, either. It's used, right?

Again, that's my starting point. If the machine is particularly pristine or if it's something I REALLY need to add to my stable of machines, that will temper the upper limit I will consider while bartering back and forth with the seller. In the vast majority of such sales I never go higher than 75%, unless the used market dictates otherwise. Point in case are Oneway lathes, which hold their value better than most other lathes.

Hope this helps you.

Rick....I just received an email from Laguna.....they have 13 14Twelve demo machines on sale for $875.....there are others as well....they may even have a warranty...not sure
https://lagunatools.com/march-madness-deals/
scroll down....HTH

Rick Pinzon
03-04-2017, 4:09 PM
I Picked it up today for $650 and it had the wheel kit included. It looks barely used. I came with 3 blades plus a broken resale king blade (not sure if it can be re-welded)

Bruce Page
03-04-2017, 4:12 PM
I Picked it up today for $650 and it had the wheel kit included. It looks barely used. I came with 3 blades plus a broken resale king blade (not sure if it can be re-welded)

That's a good deal. Blades can be rewelded but may not be worth it depending on blade pedigree and condition.

Rick Pinzon
03-04-2017, 4:19 PM
It's a $150 laguna Resaw King blade

Raymond Seward
03-04-2017, 4:38 PM
Ship the blade back to Laguna.....they can probably repair it....if you do get the light, make sure it is the articulating style....not the one Laguna sells that goes with the 14Twelve....Great deal BTW

Rick Pinzon
03-04-2017, 5:08 PM
Ship the blade back to Laguna.....they can probably repair it....if you do get the light, make sure it is the articulating style....not the one Laguna sells that goes with the 14Twelve....Great deal BTW

I doubt they will repair it since I do not have a receipt. Will they?

michael barbe
03-04-2017, 7:34 PM
Congrats on the purchase. If you had paid retail I am sure you would be happy, so you should be twice as happy now. if you have any luck with laguna I would love to hear about it. Mine broke with less than a half hour on it. Amazing cut though. I actually had my hands on another one in the store two weeks ago but i just couldn't make myself do it... yet.

Rick Pinzon
03-04-2017, 8:25 PM
Congrats on the purchase. If you had paid retail I am sure you would be happy, so you should be twice as happy now. if you have any luck with laguna I would love to hear about it. Mine broke with less than a half hour on it. Amazing cut though. I actually had my hands on another one in the store two weeks ago but i just couldn't make myself do it... yet.

Yes I think I got a good price. Laguna currently has the demo sale as others mentioned in this thread for $875 but there is still the $150 for wheels(unless the demos have the wheels), $75 shipping and tax. I can't afford that. They also have their non demo on sale for $975 right now for those of you out there can afford it. I would have probably kept looking if someone else bought the saw or bought a new 14 inch grizzly in their $600 price range. This one made sense to me because it has 1.75 hp, 13in resaw capacity, and it works with 110v. It met all of my immediate needs.

I'm looking forward to using it and hopefully it does not break.

How did yours break and did you get it fixed or return to laguna?

Van Huskey
03-05-2017, 4:22 AM

They probably won't do it for free unless it broke at the weld. It is probably worth fixing since it can be easily resharpened. I remember when they had a sale on the old style people found a place in Ohio (IIRC) that would cut and reweld them shorter (Laguna was selling off the old stock) but I can't remember the shop but if you run into problems getting it rewelded you could probably find it with a search, seems like it was sometime in the 2011-2012 time frame. People didn't seem to have much luck at their local saw shops getting them rewelded but I don;t remember the reason.

Rick Pinzon
03-05-2017, 7:42 AM
They probably won't do it for free unless it broke at the weld. It is probably worth fixing since it can be easily resharpened. I remember when they had a sale on the old style people found a place in Ohio (IIRC) that would cut and reweld them shorter (Laguna was selling off the old stock) but I can't remember the shop but if you run into problems getting it rewelded you could probably find it with a search, seems like it was sometime in the 2011-2012 time frame. People didn't seem to have much luck at their local saw shops getting them rewelded but I don;t remember the reason.

Thanks Van, I will look into it.

Raymond Seward
03-05-2017, 8:06 AM

Of course you will have to pay for it but it will be well worth it.....best re-saw blade I have ever used and it can be re-sharpened....

Rick Pinzon
03-05-2017, 9:16 AM
I am now thinking, how can I tell if in fact it is a Resaw King blade vs another brand? Do blades ever have any identifiers etched in them?

Van Huskey
03-05-2017, 9:30 AM
I am now thinking, how can I tell if in fact it is a Resaw King blade vs another brand? Do blades ever have any identifiers etched in them?

Many blades have the identifying info printed on the blade which may not survive long, I honestly can't remember if the RK has anything on the blade or not. First make sure it is indeed a carbide blade, they have teeth brazed on just like a bandsaw blade not just teeth cut and bent like a "normal" bandsaw blade. Use calipers to determine the width of the teeth and the gauge (thickness of the backer). A RK will be .024" backer and .041" at the teeth. Even without doing that if it is a 3/4" blade and has variable tooth spacing it is almost certainly a RK, I can't think of another 3/4" blade with variable TPI.

Rick Pinzon
03-05-2017, 2:22 PM
Many blades have the identifying info printed on the blade which may not survive long, I honestly can't remember if the RK has anything on the blade or not. First make sure it is indeed a carbide blade, they have teeth brazed on just like a bandsaw blade not just teeth cut and bent like a "normal" bandsaw blade. Use calipers to determine the width of the teeth and the gauge (thickness of the backer). A RK will be .024" backer and .041" at the teeth. Even without doing that if it is a 3/4" blade and has variable tooth spacing it is almost certainly a RK, I can't think of another 3/4" blade with variable TPI.

It looks like my blade is definitely a RK based on your description. Thanks Van

Rick Pinzon
03-05-2017, 6:39 PM
Here are a couple of the blade photos. Maybe someone else that is not familiar with the blade (like I was ) can see what a variable TPI blade looks like.

Rick Pinzon
03-05-2017, 6:50 PM
Here is the bandsaw I picked up as is. I only cleaned the table because was starting to show signs of oxidation from sitting in a storage unit

Van Huskey
03-05-2017, 7:50 PM
Here are a couple of the blade photos. Maybe someone else that is not familiar with the blade (like I was ) can see what a variable TPI blade looks like.

Definately variable pitch. Is it 3/4". I'd say it is probably a Resaw King and that jumps to 99% if it is 3/4". I might get in touch with Laguna and see about getting it welded and resharpened at the same time, they can let you know what is possible.

It doesn't look like it broke at the weld, can you find the weld elsewhere? The only thing I would do before sending it in is check the gullets carefully for fatigue cracks forming, if they are I MIGHT pay to get it rewelded but I doubt I would spend the money to get it sharpened, if fatigue cracks are starting it won;t be long until it breaks again.

BTW nice looking saw, I think you got a very fair deal.

Rick Pinzon
03-05-2017, 8:19 PM
Yes it is 3/4 in and it definitely did not break at the weld. I can see where the weld is. Im not sure there is an fatigue cracks anywhere. The guy I bought it from seemed to jump from hobby to hobby and I think his woodworking was short lived. He may have been reckless when he used the blade and probably got little use out of it before it snapped. I say that because it looks like he did not pay careful attention to detail when he put the saw together.

Van Huskey
03-05-2017, 8:40 PM
Yes it is 3/4 in and it definitely did not break at the weld. I can see where the weld is. Im not sure there is an fatigue cracks anywhere. The guy I bought it from seemed to jump from hobby to hobby and I think his woodworking was short lived. He may have been reckless when he used the blade and probably got little use out of it before it snapped. I say that because it looks like he did not pay careful attention to detail when he put the saw together.

I would get in touch with Laguna, send the pictures and see if they think they can weld it and leave enough length to work on the saw.

Rick Pinzon
03-05-2017, 8:52 PM
I would get in touch with Laguna, send the pictures and see if they think they can weld it and leave enough length to work on the saw.

The blade measures 114 1/2 inches. Not sure if that was the length before it broke or if 1/2 inch is missing.

Van Huskey
03-05-2017, 9:42 PM
The blade measures 114 1/2 inches. Not sure if that was the length before it broke or if 1/2 inch is missing.

Generally the smaller the saw the less room for blade length variation but Laguna should know the minimum and they may be able to splice another piece in but then you have three welds in the band vs one.

Chris Hachet
03-06-2017, 7:55 AM
Congrats, here is to many happy years making sawdust together!

Rick Pinzon
03-06-2017, 8:21 AM
Congrats, here is to many happy years making sawdust together!

Thank you Chris

Rick Pinzon
03-06-2017, 12:25 PM
I called laguna and they said it's $35 plus $10 for return shipping to weld and sharpen. They would inspect the blade to see if it can be repaired, if be charged for the repair. A break at the weld is covered by warranty but in my case the break is elsewhere. They said the break has to be at least a ft away from the weld to it can be fixed. If it's too close then that part of the blade would be too stiff and therefore not repairable

Chris Hachet
03-06-2017, 12:31 PM
I called laguna and they said it's $35 plus $10 for return shipping to weld and sharpen. They would inspect the blade to see if it can be repaired, if be charged for the repair. A break at the weld is covered by warranty but in my case the break is elsewhere. They said the break has to be at least a ft away from the weld to it can be fixed. If it's too close then that part of the blade would be too stiff and therefore not repairable

Sounds worthwhile to me, was not sure it could be repaired this cheaply.

Rick Pinzon
03-06-2017, 1:16 PM
Sounds worthwhile to me, was not sure it could be repaired this cheaply.

I agree and I only pay shipping if they inspect and determine can't be repaired or sharpened

Van Huskey
03-06-2017, 5:41 PM
I agree and I only pay shipping if they inspect and determine can't be repaired or sharpened

Hopefully they can repair it, but it is worth the shipping in order to find out since for the cost it is a nice blade.

Rick Pinzon
03-29-2017, 9:34 PM
The blade was successfully welded and sharpened for $45. It took about 2 weeks for me to get it back.

Van Huskey
03-29-2017, 11:09 PM
Great to hear, Rick!

Rick Pinzon
03-29-2017, 11:23 PM
Great to hear, Rick!

Maybe someone else out there has a broken resaw king blade may find this useful

they warrantee the weld but that's it. If if breaks anywhere else it will cost $45 to fix. Also the break supposedly can't be too close to a weld or it can't be repaired. Mine was 2 feet away from the original weld so it was not a problem to get fixed