PDA

View Full Version : Rust Hunt find

steven c newman
02-28-2017, 3:08 PM
Stopped at a place in Anna, OH today.....turned down a Defiance #5, Craftsman #5, and a Great Neck #5..:mad:...Meh. Looked over a set of wood bodied match planes, one with wedge adjust, one the threads adjust on their fences. They were covered in a yellowish mold.:eek:..pass. Spent $15 + tax on a "box"
Did not find the saw for it, though..
No. 2246A, ring a bell? Seems to be complete ( except for a saw)
Has both of these hold backs...
And this length stop. Guides were a bit too tight, drop of 3in1 oil cure that.
Angle stops lock. Now just have to find a saw to fit...my 18" saw is a tad too small...
Might be ok if I am cutting moldings....

Not too bad a day?:rolleyes:

Andrew Pitonyak
02-28-2017, 5:56 PM
Very nice!

steven c newman
03-01-2017, 2:24 PM
Saw to fit this would be a 26" long x 4" under the spine No. 4 Backsaw, 11ppi. Watching a couple on that auction site....cost more than the mitre box did.....

Will keep a eye out for one, during the next few rust hunts....trying to remember where I saw one......

Jim Koepke
03-01-2017, 3:20 PM
Saw to fit this would be a 26" long x 4" under the spine No. 4 Backsaw, 11ppi. [snipped]......

My currently best miter box is like that. Unfortunately my saw is 5" under the spine.

Another one of my miter boxes is missing a lot of parts.

The miter box that gets used is a cheep Craftsman model that does pretty good for my needs.

If miter boxes weren't so heavy (read cost more to ship than they are worth) they might get put on that auction site.

jtk

steven c newman
03-01-2017, 4:58 PM
Saw I thought I could use..is a bit too short..
At 18-1/2" long, and 3-1/2" under the spine. If you had a bunch of quarter round molding to cut..
Down at the deck level...there is one little pointy thing...
That little silvery spot? That is a pointed bolt, supposed to keep things from sliding around.

Been wire wheeling the rust off, and cleaning crud off with Simple Green. Missing a second pointy bolt, and a saw.....and that is about all. Might keep it just for the smaller stuff, and save the Stanley #358 for larger items...?

Stew Denton
03-01-2017, 8:02 PM
Steven,

Absolutely no doubt, YA DID GOOD!

Stew

steven c newman
03-04-2017, 2:28 PM
Thanks to a fellow Creeker, I now have a decent saw for the box....might even be the same "age"
Mitre Box is from the 1960s.....saw itself is eyched as a Disston-HK Porter, made expressly for Stanley Mitre Boxes, 4" x 24"

Saw is dead on straight, has all of it's teeth. A big THANK YOU ! goes out.......(have to pull up his name, again) Mr. Al Heitz. Thank you!

steven c newman
03-06-2017, 9:57 AM
Teeth are almost too small for my eyes to see, well enough to sharpen them, at least. I think I found a place that MIGHT sharpen these fine toothed saws. About 30 miles from my house is a place that sharpens about anything that has an edge. May give them a call this week, and see what the price tag will be. Up to 8 ppi, I can see and sharpen.....above that......no. Have 3 saws that are in the 11ppi range....be nice to get them sharpened up.

There is just enough room under the bench to store the new mitre box in. The new shelf under the bench should have enough room, IF I lay the saw onto the mitre box's deck. Test cuts showed the mitre box and saw will cut a nice, square end on a board, takes a while, due to the worn teeth. The 90 degree setting is on the money. Might be a keeper....

Chris Hachet
03-06-2017, 11:18 AM
Teeth are almost too small for my eyes to see, well enough to sharpen them, at least. I think I found a place that MIGHT sharpen these fine toothed saws. About 30 miles from my house is a place that sharpens about anything that has an edge. May give them a call this week, and see what the price tag will be. Up to 8 ppi, I can see and sharpen.....above that......no. Have 3 saws that are in the 11ppi range....be nice to get them sharpened up.

There is just enough room under the bench to store the new mitre box in. The new shelf under the bench should have enough room, IF I lay the saw onto the mitre box's deck. Test cuts showed the mitre box and saw will cut a nice, square end on a board, takes a while, due to the worn teeth. The 90 degree setting is on the money. Might be a keeper....You might also check with Ron Herman here in Columbus, on Indianola. He charges $25 a saw and does quite a nice job.

steven c newman
03-06-2017, 2:26 PM
1/2 hour drive.....$0.60 an inch per saw. Just down the road from the East Liberty Plant of Honda. Corner of St Rt 347, and Claibourne rd. ( St Rt 47...) Waiting on my monthly SSI check to arrive, before I go over there.

steven c newman
03-07-2017, 9:40 PM
Gave the box a work out tonight ( and, me too..)
The "Before"..
And after about 2 minutes ( or less, depending on the camera)
Stanley clipped corner logo. "Made expressly for...."
Details of the handle. Box does have a "home"
Need to send a few saws out to be worked on....

At sixty cents an inch.:eek:..might be a few trips. :rolleyes:

steven c newman
03-10-2017, 2:18 PM
Just dropped off two saws at the sharpening service. The Disston/HK Porter 4 x 24, and the Disston & Sons No. 4, 5" x 28" saw. Will await a phone call when they are done. I still have a second 5" x 28" for the #358 box. I guess I can make do until the others return. Looking like about ....$30 or so, to have both saws done. fellow said the 4 x 24 might be the harder of the two to sharpen up....we'll see. Now that I know WHERE in BFE the place is located, it is about a 1/2 hour drive, each way.....have to schedule any trips over there around Honda Shift Changes.......( Bumper car @ 75 mph.....) as there was a fatal car wreck earlier this week.....