PDA

View Full Version : Ikonics LaserTape

Sean Willmott
02-28-2017, 5:02 AM
Hey peoples wondering if anyone is using Ikonics LaserTape or something else I purchased some but have had nothing but issues trying to removing the back carrier tape from it actually I just can't :mad:

I am using photo resist as well and it's fine but had rather a large job for a wedding to do and this would have been a way easier way to handle it but had to revert back to photo resist and it really slowed up the job would be so much easier to make the mask on the flute then sandblast.

Bill George
02-28-2017, 7:26 AM
I guess contacting the people who either made it or sold it would be what I would do. Perhaps you have a defective roll?

Gary Hair
02-28-2017, 9:39 AM
I use a lot of it and it can be difficult to remove depending on the substrate. Give the edge a bit of extra burnishing and then pick it with your fingernail and it should lift right off.

Sean Willmott
02-28-2017, 3:29 PM
I guess contacting the people who either made it or sold it would be what I would do. Perhaps you have a defective roll?
Yes I contacted Ikonics they told me to contact the reseller in Australia which I did yesterday and he has no tech knowledge on the products, he is a nice guy but basically the way he explained it is that he just has a warehouse and onsells the product hasn't used it himself.

I use a lot of it and it can be difficult to remove depending on the substrate. Give the edge a bit of extra burnishing and then pick it with your fingernail and it should lift right off.

Thanks Gary will have another play this morning as now I have the other job out of the way, I am trying to use it on glass champagne flutes, wine glasses maybe I am asking too much of it?

I will try some other substrates as well.

Gary Hair
02-28-2017, 3:49 PM
Thanks Gary will have another play this morning as now I have the other job out of the way, I am trying to use it on glass champagne flutes, wine glasses maybe I am asking too much of it?

I will try some other substrates as well.

It works exceptionally well on glass! I did a quick search for a video on how to apply it but didn't find anything useful. The only one I found had a person removing the backing then applying to the substrate, that's not a good idea as the actual tape is pretty thin and flexible and will stick to itself pretty easily. Let me know if you can't figure it out and I'll see if I can post a video showing how it's done - it's really easy once you see how to do it.

Ross Moshinsky
02-28-2017, 4:06 PM
Laser tape works better than the Rapid Mask from my experience. Masking tape or duct tape will help when removing the slip sheet sometimes.

Scott Anders
02-28-2017, 4:21 PM
I'm using the product too Sean or was. When the roll was new it worked flawlessly, now it works exactly as you described after about a year. My roll is just a paperweight now. BTW I'm in Australia also

Sean Willmott
02-28-2017, 6:02 PM
I'm using the product too Sean or was. When the roll was new it worked flawlessly, now it works exactly as you described after about a year. My roll is just a paperweight now. BTW I'm in Australia also

Not a cheap paperweight is it, hmm can you check the Batch number when you get a chance inside of roll.

Mark from AES says mine is only six months old.....

Scott Anders
02-28-2017, 6:51 PM
Not a cheap paperweight is it, hmm can you check the Batch number when you get a chance inside of roll.

Mark from AES says mine is only six months old.....

Yes not cheap at all

lot# H09952

Sean Willmott
02-28-2017, 7:03 PM
It works exceptionally well on glass! I did a quick search for a video on how to apply it but didn't find anything useful. The only one I found had a person removing the backing then applying to the substrate, that's not a good idea as the actual tape is pretty thin and flexible and will stick to itself pretty easily. Let me know if you can't figure it out and I'll see if I can post a video showing how it's done - it's really easy once you see how to do it.

I tried on three different surfaces with no luck and just done a quick video well I guess its not that quick 4mins long managed to keep the swearing out of it but should show you the issue I am having with it.

https://youtu.be/mTre6D5T-NA

please tell me I am doing something wrong lol...

As I said this is a new roll binned a meter thinking it may have over run damage or something but still no go, it sticks to the carrier sheet but not the substrate.

10am, is it to early for a Scotch.

Gary Hair
02-28-2017, 7:22 PM
Here is my quick video. It's 4:22pm here so go ahead with that scotch!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QY2fHkDUcOE&feature=youtu.be

Sean Willmott
02-28-2017, 7:53 PM
Here is my quick video. It's 4:22pm here so go ahead with that scotch!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QY2fHkDUcOE&feature=youtu.be

Thanks Gary will go give it a shot again.

Thanks of taking the time to do that just gave it a shot I would say the roll is defective for some reason it won't peel like yours at all.

It also looks very bubbly on the roll.

I have sent and msg to Ikonics USA with my video attached.

Sean Willmott
02-28-2017, 9:13 PM
Gary can I ask what the average temp in your shop is, I had a glass that I had left in the house much cooler about 28 degrees celcius and it actually stuck now I not sure if it's because I had left that glass with tape on for about a week or it's a temp thing.

To warm making it pliable?

Or leaving it longer allowed it to setup better, bloody pain in the ass but I feel I may be getting somewhere.

Gary Hair
02-28-2017, 10:36 PM
I have used it between 65 and 85 F with no problems. It is more pliable at higher temps but I don't recall having any issues with it at any temp. Leaving it will probably make it adhere to the glass a bit stronger but if it's burnished properly it will stick well enough immediately. I have quite often applied it, lasered it, and blasted it with no time lapsed in between besides the time to do each process.

Sean Willmott
03-01-2017, 12:42 AM
Thanks Gary I will keep working on it but I think I have solved it muchly appreciated for you sharing all your knowledge.
Will share if what I think is causing this if it works.

One other question have you done a review on that Laser of yours looks whiz bang.

Sean Willmott
03-01-2017, 4:26 AM
Ok just got back from an old girlfriends house don't tell the wife lol she is an industrial chemist works in polymers (should have married her) funny how someone can look at something and say yep looks like a such and such, go put it in my fridge and grab us a beer ten mins later I took it out and the carrier sheet came off.

As I thought its a temperature problem she said during the winter should not have a problem but cooling it will help the film adhere and release the carrier basically the glass was too hot but she said put it on warm cool it and pull the carrier off.

Min temp in my shed during summer is about 35deg C about 95 Fahrenheit some days it's a high as 45deg C

So I was on the right track but can't believe the solution was right in front of me in the shed, my beer fridge.

Now where do I put the beer.

Give it a try Scott it works well, you will need to find another paper weight.

Gary Hair
03-01-2017, 9:07 AM
Ok just got back from an old girlfriends house don't tell the wife lol she is an industrial chemist works in polymers (should have married her) funny how someone can look at something and say yep looks like a such and such, go put it in my fridge and grab us a beer ten mins later I took it out and the carrier sheet came off.

As I thought its a temperature problem she said during the winter should not have a problem but cooling it will help the film adhere and release the carrier basically the glass was too hot but she said put it on warm cool it and pull the carrier off.

Min temp in my shed during summer is about 35deg C about 95 Fahrenheit some days it's a high as 45deg C

So I was on the right track but can't believe the solution was right in front of me in the shed, my beer fridge.

Now where do I put the beer.

There is a saying that "beer is not the answer", well, I agree. Beer is the question, Yes is the answer! Anyway, glad you figured it out. I guess 95+ degrees is too much for lasertape, I know it's too much for me!!

TAMI WILSON
03-01-2017, 1:41 PM
[QUOTE=Sean Willmott;2664313]Hey peoples wondering if anyone is using Ikonics LaserTape or something else I purchased some but have had nothing but issues trying to removing the back carrier tape from it actually I just can't :mad:

I am using photo resist as well and it's fine but had rather a large job for a wedding to do and this would have been a way easier way to handle it but had to revert back to photo resist and it really slowed up the job would be so much easier to make the mask on the flute then sandblast.[/QUOTE

you have to sort of flick the corner. It isn't like photo resist where you can use tape to lift the corner. get a fingernail under the corner and flick it up.

Sean Willmott
03-01-2017, 8:00 PM
Just got a MSG back from Ikonics from Darin via Jessica, they have been helpful.

I watched the video. It is summer in Australia and very hot/humid. This happens to green lt in these conditions. I would suggest putting the film in a refridgerator for about an hour or so. Then apply the film to a glass at room temperature. That way the glue activates to the warmer surface and not the top coat side. Or the customer can put the film on the mug, store the mug with film applied in freezer for a few minutes. Freezing the carrier (gets stiff and not pliable so air pockets create separation) and dehydrating the film will create a really easy carrier removal.

Also, it sounds like he tried tape to remove the carrier also on the corner. The trick I use is bend the film over the tip of the glass, laminate the film on the inside of the glass, and the carrier mostly likely pops up.

If you have more info from him let me know.

So the way I am doing it is put the tape on with the warm surface then put in the fridge this deactivates the film from the carrier sheet, comes of as easy as photoresist.

Just once again thanks to everyone that helped.

Case Closed.

Scott Anders
03-02-2017, 4:34 AM

Thanks mate, this is going in my list of "What do I do when ?????" which is actually just a heap of little bits of paper stuck across the top of my monitor in tiny writing so I have room for more lists :)

Sean Willmott
03-03-2017, 1:26 AM
Thanks mate, this is going in my list of "What do I do when ?????" which is actually just a heap of little bits of paper stuck across the top of my monitor in tiny writing so I have room for more lists :)

At least you write lists lol, I just forget lol