PDA

View Full Version : 7 degree bevel

Mike Hoyt
02-27-2017, 10:47 PM
Hi everyone, I have a bunch of table parts I need to cut out and one of the pieces calls for a curved piece that is also beveled at 7 degrees. I was wondering how you would go about this. My initial thought was to rough it out and then use a pattern bit with a template to clean it up but I searched around for a 7degree pattern bit without any luck. My other thought was a bandsaw and then sand to the line but I was hoping for something faster because I need to do lots of them. Any ideas or thoughts on how to do this would be appreciated.

Thanks
Mike

John J Wilson
02-27-2017, 11:13 PM
Do you have a jigsaw in your shop? The last few that I have owned have the ability to tilt the base at an angle. If I didn't want to use the bandsaw, I would run some 1 1/2" or so stock through the table saw at 7 degrees, then use it to set the angle of my jigsaw base & go to town.

Jamie Buxton
02-27-2017, 11:45 PM
You can put your own top bearing on any router bit to make it a pattern bit. Many big suppliers of router bits also sell bearings. Also look for a lock collar to help hold the bearing in place. For instance http://www.eagleamerica.com/prod_detail_list/maint_-_bearings_and_rub_collars

Seven degrees is one of the common angles for dovetails. So maybe a dovetail bit with a bearing will do what you want.

Keith Westfall
02-28-2017, 1:00 AM
How precise do you need to be? Tilt your band-saw table to 7 deg and cut.

Rod Sheridan
02-28-2017, 8:16 AM
Hi everyone, I have a bunch of table parts I need to cut out and one of the pieces calls for a curved piece that is also beveled at 7 degrees. I was wondering how you would go about this. My initial thought was to rough it out and then use a pattern bit with a template to clean it up but I searched around for a 7degree pattern bit without any luck. My other thought was a bandsaw and then sand to the line but I was hoping for something faster because I need to do lots of them. Any ideas or thoughts on how to do this would be appreciated.

Thanks
Mike

If you have a friend with a tilting spindle shaper they could do that for you, or if they have an adjustable angle head that would work as well.

The other method would be to put a false 7 degree table on your router table, or just order a 7 degree bit, I would expect that a tooling manufacturer could do it.

regards, Rod.

glenn bradley
02-28-2017, 8:33 AM
Amana has your 7* bit (https://www.amanatool.com/42424-carbide-tipped-patternmakers-7-deg-x-13-16-dia-x-1-1-4-x-1-2-inch-shank.html). A picture of what you are trying to do will get you a lot better answers. I am not sure we are all answering based on the same operation ;-) 7 degree is pretty mild. Could you run an existing raised panel bit and put a riser under the outer edge of the piece to get your angle? Need pics.

Prashun Patel
02-28-2017, 8:39 AM
Can you post a picture?

FWW showed a couple ways to do this.

I found particularly clever the technique of ripping the bevel on the stratight edge first, and then cutting the curve. Of course, this does not make the bevel even along the curve, but the varying depth can be aesthetically pleasing in some situations. YMMV.

lowell holmes
02-28-2017, 9:35 AM
I would make a practice cut using spoke shaves and/or hand planes. A wood rasp might clean it up if needed.

Edwin Santos
02-28-2017, 10:47 AM
Seven degrees is one of the common angles for dovetails. So maybe a dovetail bit with a bearing will do what you want.

This is a good solution. The Keller dovetail system uses 7 degree bearing guided bits. Nor sure how thick your workpiece is but the Keller dovetail bit has a capacity of (I think) 1" or so and I think there is a bigger one available too. You would have to offset the template to land the cutter where you want it. Should be quite simple to do. Amana makes Keller bits with bearings and they are not expensive. Whiteside makes them also and they cost a bit more.

Sam Murdoch
02-28-2017, 5:20 PM
If you have a friend with a tilting spindle shaper they could do that for you, or if they have an adjustable angle head that would work as well.

The other method would be to put a false 7 degree table on your router table, or just order a 7 degree bit, I would expect that a tooling manufacturer could do it.

regards, Rod.

In blue ^ would be my approach - preferably find a 7° bit but in a pinch pitch the base.

Van Huskey
02-28-2017, 5:38 PM
If you decide on a router bit and have a lot of pieces to do and nobody don;t make one with a long enough cutting face Hickory Saw and Tool still makes single bits, Whiteside used to but not any more. Depending on the amount you have to cut it might be worth the money.