PDA

View Full Version : New-to-Me Delta Bandsaw - 1997 model - 28-203

Nate Secrist
02-27-2017, 6:30 PM
I have been watching the local CL for quite a while for an older-model Delta or Jet 14-inch bandsaw....
I bought a Minimax MM20 about 10 years ago - I use this big bandsaw alot and it is tuned nicely for resawing.
It is a pain to change out the blades when I want to do some curved cutting, so I have been looking and watching for a 14-inch Delta or Jet to come up used.
The current blade is so dull it was smoking just to cut a 2/4 scrap when I went to look at the saw before I bought it.
I got this one for $300. I am quite happy!
The top needs a little work, but I should have it cleaned up maybe later tonight!

I just ordered a mobile base and a new set of urethane tires - as this has been in the guy's unheated garage since he bought it 20 years ago.
The current tires are very brittle....

New blades? My plan is to only use this one for cutting curves/scrolling and maybe a rip-or-two occasionally.

Van - I have read your bandsaw blade article...Looks like you are a fan of Starrett and some of the Laguna blades.
What do you think of the Carter Accu-Right blades - the local Woodcraft has them - they seem to be about 8$ more than the comparable 1/4" Starrett blades.....

I am quite happy with the purchase.....

Thanks

Sam Beagle
02-27-2017, 6:36 PM
Did u get this in Harrisburg pa

Nate Secrist
02-27-2017, 7:09 PM
Hi Sam,

I found this on the Denver, CO Craigslist last weekend.

Van Huskey
02-27-2017, 7:18 PM
The majority of blades I use are Lenox I usually only buy Starrett for very small blades that Lenox quit producing. The Carter blades are solid blades (never bothered to try to figure out who makes them for Carter). I just avoid the repackaged blades from non-blade companies because they usually don't carry the sizes I need and they are almost always more expensive but for many people the convenience overshadows the extra cost.