PDA

View Full Version : Dark Spot in Maple

Rick Johnston
02-27-2017, 10:20 AM
See the dark streak in the attached picture. I've already finished and convinced myself when it appeared after planing down to 1/2" thickness I could live with it. The streak wasn't there with the 3/4" board - In hindsight I could have cut it out, but did not.
As a research project I searched on the site for fixes IF I had decided to hide it.

There was a past post that covered exactly what I have. Wood bleach and some other acid type treatments were suggested, but the poster back then had no success with any of those attempts. On poster (Sheldon Pratt I think) who had some artist abilities suggested that was probably the surest fix.

I'm not going to go back and fix it now as I've accepted the wood irregularity. However, I'm wondering what the fix might be. Any cosmetic covering would have some thickness to it making it very difficult to hide unless it's built into the finish. Meaning ONLY someone working with finishes and coloring could do it. The color contrast between dark and light makes it a difficult fix I'd expect.

Probably a fix only for a very prized piece.

Wayne Lomman
03-01-2017, 6:22 AM
As a polisher of some experience, I would consider the defect to be cause for rejection. I agree that I could convince myself I could live with it but it is too dark to successfully cover and expect anyone else to accept it as 1St class workmanship. It would be better to reject the piece of timber when machining or cut the defect out and have a glue line than leave it in. Cheers