PDA

View Full Version : How many are old rec.woodworking wood workers?

lowell holmes
02-26-2017, 5:42 PM
The subject line states the question. The group's name came up in another string.

I followed the news group for years and thoroughly enjoyed it. I learned a lot about woodworking following and reading that group?

No reason for this post other than curiosity.

Paul F Franklin
02-26-2017, 6:40 PM
I hung out there for quite a few years; wasn't real active but posted now and then. Learned a lot!

Derek Cohen
02-26-2017, 6:52 PM
I mentioned in the other thread that I was a member as well. Rec Woodworking, Oldtools list serve, and Badger Pond. These go back a bit.

Regards from Perth

Derek

lowell holmes
02-26-2017, 7:51 PM
Derek, your post is what brought it to mind.

I followed the news group religiously.

Bruce Haugen
02-26-2017, 10:05 PM
I was. It was there I met Paddy O'Deen

Glen Johnson
02-26-2017, 10:07 PM
I was there for years before I switched to sawmillcreek. I don't miss the trolling and flaming. I much prefer the polite company here.

bridger berdel
02-26-2017, 11:41 PM
I found the wreck within a short time of getting online. Those were some good times.

bridger berdel
02-26-2017, 11:46 PM
JOAT hangs on the router forum these days. Kieth Bohn (duke of urls at the wreck) set up shop at old woodworking machines .com. he's still there. Lots of us got started at rec.ww and are all over the internets enjoying community of craftsmanship.

Edwin Santos
02-27-2017, 12:14 AM
I followed the wreck pretty closely and posted there a lot. It would have been between 1997 and 2004. I remember Keith Bohn, Paddy O'Deen, John Gunterman, Charlie DIY, Doug Stowe and many others. It was a good time. I learned a lot about finishing from Jim McNamara in New Mexico who is unbelievably knowledgeable. Another friend and finishing guru was Paul Radovanic, RIP.

I believe the thing about referring to Home Depot as The Borg was started there, by a guy who posted under the name of Eddie Munster who was into Star Trek. Who would have known that Borg name would take on a life of its own.

When the first plane hit the WTC in 2001, I found out about it on rec.ww when someone posted it happened moments after it did. Ran to the TV and turned it on to see the live coverage of the second plane hit and then the collapse. Crazy

Shawn Pixley
02-27-2017, 10:24 AM
I was there. Unfortunately, didn't get a T-shirt.

William Adams
02-27-2017, 11:37 AM
Is it wrong to say that I miss usenet? The old / original usenet before the "Eternal September"?

Edwin Santos
02-27-2017, 12:19 PM
Thanks for raising the question, this really brought back some memories.

Turning it back to the Neander world, there was a guy named Steve Knight who was active on rec.woodworking in those days and sold wood hand planes that he made out of various exotics. One of the features was the massive plane irons he used, quite a bit thicker than Hock irons. I've wondered what ever happened to him, and whether he still makes hand planes. His knight-toolworks domain is inactive. Anyone know what's become of him?

Bruce Haugen
02-27-2017, 12:37 PM
I've wondered what happened to Steve K as well. He used to be active both here and WoodCentral but hasn't been on either in quite some time. I know his planes are still well regarded.

Bruce Page
02-27-2017, 12:42 PM
I remember reading it a lot, I don't recall posting very much. I left when Wayne Miller opened the doors at Badger Pond.

Pete Taran
02-27-2017, 3:00 PM
I met Patrick Leach on Rec.WW and was part of the crew that moved to the oldtools list. I once even met Patrick Olguin when he stopped by the Independence ToolWorks in upstate New York with TRB in tow. I miss those guys, I keep in touch with Patrick Leach and a few others, but wonder what happened to many of the others like Guntherman, etc. I do miss the old days.

lowell holmes
02-27-2017, 3:04 PM
I have three Steve Knight planes, two smoothers and a 24" long jointer.

Bruce Haugen
02-27-2017, 3:08 PM
I met Patrick Leach on Rec.WW and was part of the crew that moved to the oldtools list. I once even met Patrick Olguin when he stopped by the Independence ToolWorks in upstate New York with TRB in tow. I miss those guys, I keep in touch with Patrick Leach and a few others, but wonder what happened to many of the others like Guntherman, etc. I do miss the old days.

Pete, did you meet Paddy in '02? I know he was on a cross country jaunt then. I don't know where else he went, but on the return trip he stayed with Keith Bohn in Milwaukee one night and with us in MN the next. We went to Minneapolis and hooked up with a couple Oldtools guys one night.

Pete Taran
02-27-2017, 3:42 PM
Bruce, way before that, probably fall of 1996!

Tony Zaffuto
02-27-2017, 4:25 PM
Pete,

How about a bit if history of Independence Toolworks? How did you and Patrick get hooked up?

TIA

Brian Henderson
02-27-2017, 4:39 PM
Is it wrong to say that I miss usenet? The old / original usenet before the "Eternal September"?

The whole Internet before the modem kiddies were a constant problem, yes.

Phil Stone
02-27-2017, 5:41 PM
rec.ww is where I first caught the handtool bug.

Chris Fairbanks
02-27-2017, 10:37 PM
It's still somewhat alive and kicking. You can access it via google groups web interface.

john davey
02-28-2017, 3:14 PM
I was there and got my Joiner from Steve Knight back then. Still have that thing :).... Last I heard on Steve was he was into CNC now.

Thanks for raising the question, this really brought back some memories.

Turning it back to the Neander world, there was a guy named Steve Knight who was active on rec.woodworking in those days and sold wood hand planes that he made out of various exotics. One of the features was the massive plane irons he used, quite a bit thicker than Hock irons. I've wondered what ever happened to him, and whether he still makes hand planes. His knight-toolworks domain is inactive. Anyone know what's become of him?

Bruce Willman
02-28-2017, 3:24 PM
I was around on rec the wood in the old days. I stumbled across my Gunterman spoke shave the other day, does anyone else remember those?
I got to go tool hunting with Pete Taran once, and met Patrick Leach at an MWTCA meet. Those were the good old days!

Bruce Willman

john davey
02-28-2017, 3:25 PM
It's still somewhat alive and kicking. You can access it via google groups web interface.

thanks for that. I just went back and searched some of my old posts. Talk about a flashback :)...

Dave Anderson NH
03-02-2017, 12:23 PM
FYI folks

Steve Knight gave up making planes because the time involved vs the selling prices wasn't paying his bills. He bought a CNC router and it kept him quite busy allowing him to discontinue making planes.

John Gunterman divorced, moved from NH to TN, left the IT world, and finally followed his dream of becoming a Memphis cop. He also joined the Navy reserve which took him in spite of his age because of his computer skills. About 5 years ago he emailed me from a deployment in Kuwait. John has pretty much given up woodworking as far as I know.

And yes, I was on both the Rec and Badger Pond going way back. I still peruse the Old Tools list summaries but haven't posted in years.

lowell holmes
03-02-2017, 4:55 PM
FYI folks

Steve Knight gave up making planes because the time involved vs the selling prices wasn't paying his bills. He bought a CNC router and it kept him quite busy allowing him to discontinue making planes.

John Gunterman divorced, moved from NH to TN, left the IT world, and finally followed his dream of becoming a Memphis cop. He also joined the Navy reserve which took him in spite of his age because of his computer skills. About 5 years ago he emailed me from a deployment in Kuwait. John has pretty much given up woodworking as far as I know.

And yes, I was on both the Rec and Badger Pond going way back. I still peruse the Old Tools list summaries but haven't posted in years.

I knew Steve had quit making planes for sale. I always was taken with the fact that when you opened the box a new plane was shipped in, he had enclosed shavings he made with the plane before he shipped it to you.

Bruce Haugen
03-02-2017, 6:25 PM
I recall one of those fantasy discussions that sometimes happened on the Wreck, involving Gunterman. Someone asked the question what was the most dangerous weapon they had in their shop. Of course, people replied hammers, chisels, crowbars, etc. John's response was a broomstick. Someone scoffed at that idea, and his response was that he was a black belt in tae kwon do and "you wouldn't believe what I can do with a broomstick." I always liked that one.