PDA

View Full Version : Painting vinyl siding

dennis thompson
02-26-2017, 10:11 AM
We have vinyl shakes on our house. They are in perfect shape but my wife has decided she wants to change the color. I had a painter in yesterday to get an estimate. He said would prime first with the chosen color . He then said he would recommend a solid stain for the second coat. He said it would last longer than paint. I was surprised because I thought stain was only used on wood.
What do you think of his stain recommendation?
Thanks

Jim Becker
02-26-2017, 10:32 AM
Opaque "stain" is more "paint like" that you might think...and is a lot more flexible which is an asset on vinyl since that material expands and contracts with temperature in a meaningful way.

Bert Kemp
02-26-2017, 12:45 PM
But remember painting over the original vinyl will eventually fade, flak and need repainting were as the original will last a long time.

Steve Jenkins
02-26-2017, 5:45 PM
When painting vinyl do not paint it a darker color. Neighbor did this and it warped and twisted something fierce. Google "painting vinyl"

Bruce Wrenn
02-26-2017, 7:57 PM
The expression used to be "vinyl is final,"meaning you were stuck with the color as long as it was on the house. Don't care to live in a recycled milk jug. Go by local paint store and ask what they recommend and warranty.

Mike Wilkins
02-27-2017, 1:56 PM
I painted the vinyl soffit/fascia on my home about 8 years ago and have not had a problem since. Even power-washed a few times with no adverse effects at all. The guy at the paint counter at the local Lowes suggested an exterior-grade acrylic latex paint after matching it to the sample of the vinyl on a sunroom addition. You have to prep the material first with a good thorough washing, but mine has weathered well.

Bruce Wrenn
02-27-2017, 8:49 PM
One big problem on painting vinyl is it contracts and expands with temp. changes. Paint it when warm, and you will have "holidays" when it contracts.

dennis thompson
03-09-2017, 5:29 AM
My wife wanted to change the color from a light tan to a dark grey. I emailed the people who make vinyl siding and they recommended not to paint the vinyl. I also emailed Sherman Williams and they recommended against painting a darker color, so we are not going to paint the vinyl.
Thanks for the responses.