PDA

View Full Version : Mounting Drumsander

Bill Sutherland
02-25-2017, 10:40 PM
I'm doing some rearranging in my garage to accommodate my Supermax 19-38 drum sander. I want to mount it on a cabinet and wondered if anyone has used a swivel base to mount heavy machines? It weighs about 270 and right now it is borrowing space on my roll around router table. The router is now set up and ready to go back to the table. The Supermax dimensions are 24'' deep and 40" wide. If I could easily rotate the conveyor portion of the machine and leave the motor mounted on the cabinet it would work perfect. I've seen lazy susan swivels that can take quite a bit of weight but wondered if anyone had done this? I'm severely challenged for room so that's the reason for the rearranging.

Fred Renich
03-22-2017, 11:24 PM
You might try making a bench top that would be longer than the base length of the drum sander. One end would set on top of your cabinet and the other would have two legs with rotating castors. You would put a large bolt through the end on the cabinet and it would be able to swivel out from the cabinet to 90 degrees and then rotate out of the way when not being used. The top and castors would need to be pretty heavy duty as those drum sanders are pretty heavy.

James Gunning
03-23-2017, 11:02 AM
I have a 22-44 and after needing considerable help just to get it up onto the factory stand, I decided it was too heavy to put onto a swiveling or rotating base. It's probably possible, but whatever you do will have to be really stout to hold that weight safely. I put castors onto the factory stand and roll it to where I need it. I know that doesn't help with the space problem. Fred's solution might be possible.

I must be missing something, I don't understand what you mean by rotating the conveyor and leaving the motor mounted on the cabinet. How would you easily separate them?

Fred Renich
03-23-2017, 12:06 PM
My thinking was that the motor which is on the right side of the infeed side would rest over the cabinet and that would be where the pivot would be. The infeed would swing out to 90 degrees of the cabinet for use. I agree with you James on the weight. I also have a 22-44 and they are very heavy. Mine is also on a rolling wood base, but I still need to be careful when I roll it around so it doesn't tip over.

Rick Potter
04-13-2017, 10:35 PM
Maybe you could use some of those 1" steel ball rollers, to rotate the whole base on a sub base. A simple locking mechanism should hold it in place for use.

Chris Schoenthal
04-13-2017, 11:01 PM
I did something a little different with mine (although it's a little smaller at 10-20).
I built a flip-top table from Wood Mag #220 (09/13).
I have my 6" bench joiner and drum sander on one "top" of the table and my planer, osc sander and belt sanders on the other "top".
It's a great space saving design that works for me and extremely sturdy.
The only issue that I have with it is remembering that some of the accessories might fall off when turned upside down.

Kevin Beitz
04-29-2018, 4:29 PM
You could get a turntable of a crane. I'm sure that would hold the weight...