PDA

View Full Version : Expedited Myrtle Vase

John Hart
10-14-2005, 10:36 PM
Got a request this morning to make a birthday present for tomorrow.:eek: So, after work, I grabbed this piece of myrtle that's been calling to me and made this little vase. It's 5 1/2 High and 3 1/2 in diameter. Finished in shellac and friction polished with my bare hand. :eek: yeeeeoooow! But hey, it worked. Talk about a rush job! But very enjoyable.:)

Jim Ketron
10-14-2005, 10:39 PM
Nice One John!
I have not worked with Myrtle but hope to some day, Beautiful wood!

Carole Valentine
10-14-2005, 11:03 PM
On the lathe? Owie! What's your hand look like now? Is it shiny too?:D
Nice piece, John. What kind of myrtle? Only kind of myrtle we have is Crepe and that is very light in color.

John Hart
10-14-2005, 11:11 PM
....What's your hand look like now? Is it shiny too?:D

As a matter of fact...it is quite shiny!! At least my fingertips are...and it won't come off! I have no fingerprints so maybe I can become a cat burgular.:D

I really don't know what kind of Myrtle this is. They had a big pile of it and he didn't write it down on the receipt. It just said "Wood". I think he said Tasmanian....but I'm just not sure.

Rich Stewart
10-15-2005, 1:02 AM
Wow John, I really like that. That's the kind of things I like to make (try to make?) I got some Blenham (sp?) turners polish on my hand and was it a pain to get off. I was using a paper towel but didnt put on a glove this time for some reason. If you dont mind, I am going to steal that design and try to make something close with a piece of...uh...I forget the wood. Catalpa? Anyway I'll show it to you when and if it ever stops raining here and I get a chance to turn. Been raining for 8 days and as we all know my workshop is not much good in the rain. Good news is wifey has approved a new shed for the backyard. I can fit a 12 X 8 back there. Durn, here comes dust collection.

Bruce Shiverdecker
10-15-2005, 1:17 AM
Vase lookin GOOD.

Fingers "GOT A LITTLE WARM..........did they?"

Alcohol will remove the friction polish and sting like H.... on any breaks in the skin due to excessive finger pressure on the piece.

On most of my pieces, I use a little oil of some kind, to help punch the figure. This leaves just a little on my hands. That way, when I "hand rub" French polish on, even though some gets on my hands, it comes off in the shower.

Very seldom use gloves. Just when staining.

Bruce

Michael Stafford
10-15-2005, 6:46 AM
John, I love the color of your vase or is that a "vahse". As nice as that is I am sure it is a "vahse"......

Karl Laustrup
10-15-2005, 7:33 AM
John, that is a beautiful vaazz.

Are you sure that's not SCHLAMACA?

I know Myrtle and am quite sure she would approve of the design. Now would you let her go home!! ;) :D

Karl

John Hart
10-15-2005, 7:55 AM
Yes Karl....as a matter of fact, it IS Shlamaca! Ancient Peruvian Schlamca, found near the ruins of an Inca palace once occupied by Princess Myrtle. It's a great story. Maybe Mark Singer can give us some more background. :D

Rich - Steal away my friend! And get your tools out of the rain!:eek:

Mike - Thanks! I'll show you the Vahse, but I won't show you my bottom!:D

Bruce - Thanks for the tip...I'm going down to the shop now and try the alcohol torture method.:)

Jim Becker
10-15-2005, 10:58 AM
Lovely, John. Nice form and it looks great in the Myrtle.

Dick Parr
10-15-2005, 5:23 PM
Looks great John!:)

Ernie Nyvall
10-15-2005, 8:38 PM
Wow John, that really is a nice one. Beautiful finish.

Cool isn't it... to be able to whip up a gift so quickly for someone.

Ernie

John Hart
10-15-2005, 9:15 PM
Wow John, that really is a nice one. Beautiful finish.

Cool isn't it... to be able to whip up a gift so quickly for someone.

Ernie

Sure is. We just got back from the birthday party (her 75th). She loved the "vahse".

Thanks everyone!

Mark Cothren
10-15-2005, 11:04 PM
Hey John, sorry I missed this one. I really like this vase! I'll be glad when I learn how to make stuff like this. Right now I'm limited to bowls and platters/plates.

Very nice! Thanks for the picture!

Jeff Sudmeier
10-16-2005, 5:49 PM
John,

I wish I had made something like that in 24 days, not 24 hours! :) Great job...

Keith Burns
10-16-2005, 8:36 PM
John that is an exceptional piece ! The form, finish and wood are wonderful. Great job under pressure ! I typically use a rag for friction polish...dah.

Mike Ramsey
10-17-2005, 9:05 AM
WOW! Just like the rest of your work that is a beautiful vase John...

Don Henthorn Smithville, TX
10-17-2005, 10:23 PM
Myrtle is the Oregon craft shops' name for California Laurel. It is also called Bay, Bay Laurel, Pepperwood, Bay Berry, and a few others. Largest known specimum is in San Leandro, California.

Loy Hawes
10-17-2005, 10:40 PM
Largest known specimum
is in San Leandro, California.

Don, do you know exactly where this specimen is located? I am right next door to San Leandro. I would love to cut..........er, uh take a look at this tree! :D

Lee DeRaud
10-17-2005, 10:50 PM
I wish I had made something like that in 24 days, not 24 hours! :) Great job...No kidding. The idea of doing a project in one day with zero glue-ups may just push me into turning.:cool:

John Hart
10-18-2005, 6:03 AM
Thanks again y'all for your kind comments.....And thanks to Don for the background on the wood. I really didn't know anything about Myrtle except it looks really great. There are colors in this piece that the camera just couldn't capture.:)

Instant gratification Lee....Instant gratification! ;)

Lee DeRaud
10-18-2005, 10:41 AM
Instant gratification Lee....Instant gratification! ;)Problem is, I know myself well enough to know that I'd be trying to design segmented bowls before the manual for the lathe got out of the shrink-wrap.:o

Ed Scolforo
10-18-2005, 2:54 PM
John, I just saw this today. I would like to add to other's comments that it is a beautiful piece. Very well done!