PDA

View Full Version : Which is stronger? Titebond III or DAP Plastic Resin Glue?

Henry Anderson
02-25-2017, 10:33 AM
Question is in the title.

glenn bradley
02-25-2017, 11:26 AM
Not enough information for a good answer. I'll guess the application is exposed to moisture. PVA is somewhat cohesive while DAP is adhesive.

Mel Fulks
02-25-2017, 1:05 PM
I'm guessing the Titebond 3 would be better for horizontal exterior use. Most used the DAP only for exterior painted vertical surfaces and indoor stuff.

Dave huber
02-25-2017, 3:35 PM
I can report from experience that Dap is serious about the temperature minimum.
i had a disastrous Morris chair bent lamination arm failure due to shop being at 60F
also, the Da- can go stale, apparently. No experience with that.
once I followed the directions, was super solid. Easy to work.
nothing negative to say about it.

Whichever you use, be scrupulous about instructions.

Dave

Bill Space
02-25-2017, 5:12 PM
You are not specific about the application, but I do not think Tightbond is recommended for structural applications. Due to creep issues under continuous load.

This may not be an issue for you, but is something that should be kept in mind if it applies to your situation.

Bill

Chris Fournier
02-25-2017, 6:15 PM
Plastic resin glue is what I'd reach for if I had a no holds barred situation. Plastic resin glue is a bit of a pain to use and mix but the bond is incredible. Make sure that your materials and ambient temp are 70 degrees F minimum. I use pretty much every glue that is out there and plastic resin glue is pretty much my favourite. Check out the pre-catalyzed powdered version. It is inexpensive, has a great shelf life and delivers! I have used gallons and gallon of this stuff. Bent laminations and plastic resin glue are a match made in heaven.