PDA

View Full Version : Looking for some Rotary advise

Mark Sipes
02-24-2017, 10:10 PM
Well my Trotec rotary Y-Axis drive motor has bit the dust. And at 15 years old, parts for the Speedy I series machines are no longer in production or available from Trotec. It would be great if the motor came apart so the brushes could be replaced/repaired but the units are sealed. Trotec USA sent me a replacement motor but it turned out it was for a Speedy II series which operates at a different CPR (cycles per revolution) rate. I am going to see what the possibility is of purchasing a new motor from the USA manufacture but as I recall several years ago they told me they only sell to the Manufacture of the end unit (Trotec)

If anyone knows of a company that fabricates/repairs these DC brushed motors I would appreciate your assistance. Also any firm selling Aftermarket replacements?

Trotec is searching the backroom for used spare parts but I am not holding my breath. Not sure what the pool of Speedy I rotary devices sold in the US was... Any assistance/ideas from European forum members??

Mike Null
02-25-2017, 7:31 AM
Mark
This is a shot in the dark, but I'd call Fred at Quality 1 Engraving. He may be able to offer some assistance.

http://q1engravers.com/

David Somers
02-25-2017, 9:05 PM
Mark,

Any hope that Trotec would order that part from that manufacturer who sells to the end unit manufacture with the intent of your getting it from Trotec once received? Just a thought.

Mark Sipes
02-26-2017, 4:46 PM
Dave Thanks, Looks like the manufacture does not make that series of motor anymore. But necessity being the mother of invention, I am now able to rebuild/replace the brushes in 2 of 3 motors of the drive axis as long as the commutator is not shot. They may still provide parts, if not the units themselves... Working with Trotec US to locate all spare parts so I can put a shopping list together.

Mayo Pardo
02-28-2017, 9:12 PM
There's a company in my town that repairs servos, steppers, spindles, etc.
https://www.generalservo.com/

I brought them one of my steppers off my Shopbot and they were reasonably priced.

Rich Harman
03-01-2017, 12:37 AM
I would not expect that the motor for the rotary attachment would be so specialized that a suitable replacement could not be found.

Can you not change some system setting to accept the new motor's encoder? Is the encoder built into the motor or screwed onto the end of it. If the latter, you could just replace the encoder. You could even stick a microcontroller on it to translate the encoder ticks - probably not the solution you are after, but really not that difficult.

Bill George
03-01-2017, 9:48 AM
Ditto what Rich said, I doubt they had a motor and encoder made Just for them. If you can get it rebuilt go for it, but someplace there is a replacement that will work.

Mark Sipes
03-01-2017, 3:46 PM
Thanks Rich but there are no setting to compensate for a change in CPR from 500 to 1000. I did try to change the Diameter of the glass but the image got to small to cover the require image space.

The motors are only 3" long. The encoders on my motors are removable, the new motors from Trotec are pressed on, so that's a non-starter unless I cut them off. But the motors are 4" and are to big to fit in the case. If I do find a replacement in size and speed the I need to get the pressed on drive gear off the old and pressed on the new., unless there is a source for belt drive pulleys with 24 cogs in the 1/2" diameter gear with set screws.

According to the Techs at Trotec there are 20 or so Speedy 1's in use in the US. So they will be in the same boat if parts are required. Not a lard pool to get old parts from..

Thanks.

Mark Sipes
03-08-2017, 7:49 PM
Ditto what Rich said, I doubt they had a motor and encoder made Just for them. If you can get it rebuilt go for it, but someplace there is a replacement that will work.

How's $2,500 for a replacement motor.. I don't think so!!! even if it is the last one on the self........

Bill George
03-08-2017, 8:09 PM
How's $2,500 for a replacement motor.. I don't think so!!! even if it is the last one on the self........

What are the spec's on the OEM motor? Does it have a part number visible or can Trotec give you the spec's since they can not supply the motor?

Look at either McMaster Carr or MSC for cog belt pulleys in metric diameters and shaft sizes.

Here is just one example from lightobject dot com http://www.lightobject.com/Nema-23-motor-gear-wheel-pulley-80mm-x-16mm-P951.aspx

Scott Shepherd
03-09-2017, 7:55 AM
Mark, posts close up photos on here with any markings visible. I'm no electronics guru but I've always thought motors were pretty simple things, especially older ones. Post good photos of it all and I'm sure the collective group can help you locate what you need if it's possible.

Mark Sipes
03-09-2017, 5:02 PM
I will most likely order 2 motors built by Pittman/Ametek Based on Trotec Specs. Here is the information and pictures of the unit

Unit is 3" long with 500 CPR encoder (5 pin) 24 VDC 1 5/8" (40mm Dia) 8,200 Max RPM Drawing Attached

Shaft is ± 4mm Cog gear is 20T 3/8" Press fit. I have 2 20T Allen screw Cogs coming to see if they will work...Pittman did not mount Drive gears, they were third party or Trotec Corp.

If anyone else is in need of this motor (Speedy I series) a group buy might reduce production costs. Send me a PM within the next 2 weeks. Takes 8 weeks to get into the work que and build.