PDA

View Full Version : Hand tools...

Phil Winn
10-14-2005, 8:48 PM
Are there big differences in Sears Craftsman, Home Depot Husky-Pro,
Mac-Tools, and Snap-On Tools? Wrenches, Sockets, Screw-drivers, Allen-keys, etc...?
There are very big differences in price--
How about differences in
Performance?
Quality?
Longevity?
Any other differences?
Any other suggestions?
Phil

Bernie Weishapl
10-14-2005, 9:56 PM
I use either Craftsman or Snap-On because of the lifetime warranty. I broke a Cresent the other day. Walked into Sears she handed me a new one and I was on my way.

bill kiss
10-14-2005, 10:07 PM
As a retired Certified master auto tech, the answer is easy. Under the rigorous daily use a pro mechanic will usually use Snap-on/Mac/Matco. They will hold up longer, especially under abuse. For my home use I mostly purchased Craftsman/Husky/Proto/etc.

Scott Parks
10-14-2005, 11:45 PM
I love my Craftsman hand tools. I've had a set for about 14 years. I've never broken a wrench or socket (but I've broken several imports). The only problem I have is with their 3/8" ratchet. I strip out one about every two years. Just walk in to sears and they'll replace it no questions asked....

Jay Knoll
10-15-2005, 6:40 AM
I agree with Scott, I've exchanged Craftsman tools without any problem, but I think that Sears is now selling another line of tools that doesn't have the same guarantee. Can't remember the name tho, sorry.

Jay

John Bailey
10-15-2005, 6:52 AM
Most of the tools you are mentioning have more to do with machanics than woodworking. For that reason I've always gone for either Craftsman or whatever brand the local hardware store had that was not real expensive or cheap. Since I only use them when I have to, not for the love of it like woodworking, I go for value more than quality. Cheap, by the way, does not add up to value. I've never had a problem with Craftsman. Never had anything break. Most of my tools of that nature were bought well before there were Home Depot's and Lowes. They probably have a similar product of similar value. If I had a passion for working on my car, I would go for the quality first, get the best I could afford (which still may be the "value" tools). But, its working with wood for me and try as I might, a wrench just doesn't seem to work on a nice piece of walnut. It only took me 5 or 6 times to figure that out.

John

JayStPeter
10-15-2005, 7:43 AM
I'm not sure now, but a few years ago Husky and Craftsman were basically the same. Same OEM, same factory, same warranty. That may have changed now.
Mac and Snap-on are significantly nicer tools. But, you pay significantly higher prices. I use mostly Craftsman with some Husky and Kobolt thrown in. I have had many occasions to excercise the Craftsman replacement. If I was a mechanic for a living, my toolbox would definitely be stocked with one of the nicer brands. But, for me Craftsman works.

Jay

Dale Rodabaugh
10-15-2005, 7:48 AM
Still have about 99% of the original Craftsman set I bought in 1958.Lost a couple over the years.Probably broke about 2 sockets which Sears replaced with no questions.Course I have added to that set over the years.I probably use them a lot more than most people.I used to do a lot of mechanical work in my spare time,on the older cars.I still do most of the work on my vehicles,plus a couple of collector pickup trucks.Craftsman hand tools are just fine for the average do it yourselfer.Plus a lot of profesional mechanics use them.Snap Ons are great tools,but the price is way out there.One thing for sure,my Craftsman tools will still be ready to go to work long after I am gone.;) :) :D :cool:

Charles McKinley
10-15-2005, 10:26 PM
I like Craftsman tools, but hteir ratchets are inferior. After you bust your knuckels a few times you will want a better ratchet.

S&K, Proto, and Williams are names that you can pick up for less than Mac or Snap-on and still have a top quality ratchet. Husky has recently gone to a foriegn supplier. :(

Mac or Sanp-on's "Lifetime" warrenty is for the life of the tool based on serial number not the life of the owner.

Dale Rodabaugh
10-16-2005, 8:54 AM
Never had any problems with the Craftsman ratchets.I have uodated to their more expensive ones but only because I thought they looked cool.Still have the old originals,and they work just fine.:) :D :cool: