PDA

View Full Version : Mortise Pal Users - Queston

George Bokros
02-23-2017, 7:54 AM
I am using my Mortise Pal for the first time on a current project. I purchased the router bits, the guide bushing, and some tenon stock from Mortise Pal. I also purchased just about all the templates they offered, the directions say that if you are using Mortise Pal tenon stock to use the 1" template which I am using.

I have cut my first mortises and the tenon stock seems to fit looser than I would have expected, is this normal or should I make up some of my own tenon stock for a snug fit?

Thanks

George Bokros
02-23-2017, 8:20 AM
UPDATE

The first test mortise I cut was in some scrap and I did not have the template snapped down correctly and the tenon was sloppy in the mortise. The ones I cut in the project pieces are fine.

Ben Rivel
02-23-2017, 11:29 AM
Wow you've held off on using that for a while! Theyve been out of business for years now! Cool that you bought the whole set though. Nice setup to have in the toolbox.

George Bokros
02-23-2017, 6:07 PM
Bought it for the project I am working on now. My job got in the way then the home improvement projects took over when I retired. I told the wife I wanted to fit it in this year so I am.

Rick Moyer
02-24-2017, 7:22 PM
Wow you've held off on using that for a while! Theyve been out of business for years now! Cool that you bought the whole set though. Nice setup to have in the toolbox.
Ha, I have one in a drawer that I still have never used! One of these days.

Ben Rivel
02-25-2017, 3:51 PM
Ha, I have one in a drawer that I still have never used! One of these days.I was just pokin fun! I had one too that I never used and then sold once the Domino came along. Still might pick up another if I run across a good deal I might pick up another just to keep around, just in case.

Rick Moyer
02-26-2017, 8:14 AM
I think I bought it from someone here. It seems like a great tool, I just haven't had a need for mortises in anything yet.

lowell holmes
02-26-2017, 10:35 AM
I have not used my Mortise Pal in a while, but when I did, the results were tight good mortises. I bought mine used as well.

I tend to make mortise and tenon joints by hand. I can do it without having to set up a jig.

glenn bradley
02-26-2017, 11:40 AM
Interesting how we establish certain ways of doing things. I use the MP almost exclusively for M&T that are not part of the appearance like through-tenons. I use them on everything from a china hutch to a mirror frame.

Michael Koons
02-26-2017, 12:31 PM
Agreed Glenn. I wrestled with mortises for the longest time, trying to find my preferred method. One of those attempts was with the MP. I like it fine but once I bought the MP benchtop mortiser, I've never looked back. That's almost my exclusive mortising method now.

I'll bust out the MP one of these days.