PDA

View Full Version : Can You Identify any of These Hand Planes?

Jamie Patterson
02-22-2017, 9:48 PM
All,

Long time lurker, first post.

Can anyone identify any of the planes (aside from the Veritas, you wiseacres).

I'm particularly interested in the two wooden planes and the large metal bodied one.

All thoughts as to origins appreciated. I'm reasonably convinced most (aside from the Veritas, again, you jokers) are from Germany. The current owner is difficult to understand on the phone and doesn't know the brands.

I'm interested in your thoughts.

Rick Whitehead
02-22-2017, 11:02 PM
OK, here's my opinion.
The plane in the lower left corner may be a Stanley no. 75 rabbet plane or similar. Not much value. Likewise for the block plane above it. It may be a Stanley no. 110. Again, not much value.
The large metal smoothing plane looks like a Harbor Freight Windsor no 33. $8.95 when it's on sale.
I see a printed leaflet for ECE planes in the bottom of the picture, but the illustration doesn't match the plane in the top left of the box. If it is an ECE plane, it's one of their cheaper ones, without their fancy blade adjustment.
The other wooden plane looks like one from a child's tool box.
The small green plane is probably a Kunz copy of the Stanley 101.
Anyway, that's my opinion, worth what you paid for it. I personally would pass on these. There are plenty of better planes around.
Rick W

Rob Luter
02-23-2017, 6:02 AM
I agree with Rick. I have the ECE on the upper left. It's an OK plane. I also have the Stanley #75 on the lower left corner. It makes a good paperweight. The rest are mediocre at best.