PDA

View Full Version : Grandfather clock

Michael Dye
02-22-2017, 2:13 PM
On page 74 of the current FWW magazine, there is a picture of a grandfather clock with a series of unusual movements. The description leads me to believe they are a Bob Shannon movement. Unfortunately, googling that name brings up nothing. Do the movements on that clock look familiar to anybody? I am finishing the design on a clock I want to build and would like to incorporate these into the design, if possible. Thanks in advance.

Malcolm Schweizer
02-22-2017, 3:03 PM
I also saw that, and I believe the caption said it was an atomic clock, but I have never seen one with all those dials. I thought they just got time by radio waves from the atomic clock in Colorado. I thought it looked pretty cool. I would also like to know more about it.

Roger Feeley
02-22-2017, 3:14 PM
My take was that this was a true stand-alone atomic clock. I tried to look it up and came up empty.

Michael Dye
02-22-2017, 9:15 PM
I spent a couple of hours not only on the internet, but with magnifying glass in hand, trying to figure out the manufacturer's name which is just not quite clear enough to see. Same results as you both.

Malcolm Schweizer
02-22-2017, 9:24 PM
My take was that this was a true stand-alone atomic clock. I tried to look it up and came up empty.

Now THAT would be impressive. I'm guessing Home Depot doesn't stock radioisotopes on a regular basis. Maybe check over by the microwaves. Might be hard to source the parts for that thing.