PDA

View Full Version : Salvaged Maple Bowl 2

Steve Schlumpf
02-22-2017, 11:17 AM
A brief reminder of the first thread: my wife Colleen and I were snowshoeing on our property a couple of years ago and found a dead sugar maple with about 10’ of the trunk still standing. Most of the wood was rotten but I did manage to cut four blanks from the base. This is the second bowl turned from that tree.

Curly sugar maple, 10 5/8” (270mm) diameter x 4” (102mm) high x 5/16” (8mm) thickness. Sanded to 320 and finished with Mahoney’s Walnut Oil. Worm holes filled with Minwax wood filler before finish was applied.

354601 354602 354603
As always, opinions, critiques and comments are welcomed!

Thanks for looking!

William C Rogers
02-22-2017, 8:08 PM
That is a nice looking bowl. I like to turn maple. Ok I'm curious. I usually fill cracks/holes with sawdust and glue. Sometimes Titebond, CA, or epoxy. Do you always fill with wood filler? Why?

John Hart
02-22-2017, 8:15 PM
Beautiful work as always Steve.

Steve Schlumpf
02-22-2017, 10:48 PM
Ok I'm curious. I usually fill cracks/holes with sawdust and glue. Sometimes Titebond, CA, or epoxy. Do you always fill with wood filler? Why?

William, when I use poly as a finish, then I would fill holes the same as what you do. This bowl was finished with walnut oil and intended for use. Any of the glues you mentioned would prevent the oil from soaking into the wood. The filler I used allows for stains and can be sanded/finished once dried. I have not used this idea before because I normally only turn decorative items but did try it on a blank, subjected it to water and it held up well. The walnut oil soaked into the filled areas the same as the surrounding wood, so I do not anticipate it becoming a problem.

Beautiful work as always Steve.
Thanks John!Long time no hassle! Hope you are doing well!

Sid Matheny
02-23-2017, 12:01 AM
Another beauty Steve!

Adam Petersen
02-23-2017, 1:11 AM
You definitely have that form down. Wonderful curve. I love turning maple.

John Hart
02-23-2017, 7:32 AM
Thanks John!Long time no hassle! Hope you are doing well!

Sorry my friend....life got in the way. All is well and now gettin' back in the saddle.

Roger Chandler
02-23-2017, 7:52 AM
Sorry my friend....life got in the way. All is well and now gettin' back in the saddle.Not to hijack Steve's thread [great bowl Steve!]. But nice to hear from you again John! You ran across my mind numerous times over the last 4 or 5 years.........hope you are doing well! :) By the saddle, I hope you mean turning.....just stay away from those lacquer fumes! ;):D

Steve Schlumpf
02-23-2017, 9:59 AM
John, happy to hear that everything is well! Welcome back!