PDA

View Full Version : Rule Changes....What Would You Do?

Mark Blatter
02-22-2017, 10:59 AM
So, playing off the MLB thread about changing the rules to the intentional walk, what rule changes would you make if given complete control to any sport? For example below are two (or more) changes off the top of my head;

1. Golf - I would give every golfer, players only no fans in the gallery, noise makers to use while the competition is getting ready to hit a ball. No more of this pansy quiet time that is enforced. I would also put in place sharp shooters with paint ball guns to randomly shoot at the golfers. Make it a bit more challenging. You could go all the way and make golf a contact sport, but perhaps that would be taking it too far.

2. Add a four point shot to the NBA. Call it at half court. Four points if you make it, and maybe even you get the ball back as well. They also need to get rid of hand-check rule. They have made the game like touch football. I still remember watching the hard checks from the 80s. Finally, make all free throws 1 + 1. If you miss the first, you are done. Puts a bit more emphasis on shooting ability.

How about the rest of you, what would you change?

Pat Barry
02-22-2017, 11:29 AM
I would eliminate any rule changes made after 1961 for baseball, and after 1971 for football. Golf should never have its rules tampered with, in fact, they need to make the players play by the rules in tournaments where many special rule exemptions are routinely made. Basketball should eliminate the three point filed goal entirely and hockey should have auto ejection for any spearing, butt ending, cross-checking to the neck or above, drawing of blood for any reason, and fighting.

Lee Schierer
02-22-2017, 11:37 AM
I would simply enforce the rules that exist. Most players in the NBA routinely travel when making shots. Any temper tantrums should be cause for ejection and a second offense should result in a several game suspension without pay.

Barry McFadden
02-22-2017, 11:44 AM
I would eliminate any rule changes made after 1961 for baseball, and after 1971 for football. Golf should never have its rules tampered with, in fact, they need to make the players play by the rules in tournaments where many special rule exemptions are routinely made. Basketball should eliminate the three point filed goal entirely and hockey should have auto ejection for any spearing, butt ending, cross-checking to the neck or above, drawing of blood for any reason, and fighting.

I'm not a hockey fan by any means but if they put in auto ejection for fighting there would be nobody left on the ice after 10 minutes except for the goalies.....and then they would probably go at it!!

Paul McGaha
02-22-2017, 12:18 PM
I don't care for the designated hitter in MLB.

I like the strategy the national league teams have to deal with with the pitchers batting.

Go Nats!

PHM

Rick Moyer
02-22-2017, 1:06 PM
I think I'll go over to a golf forum where people don't make uninformed comments about woodworking.

roger wiegand
02-22-2017, 1:47 PM
Get rid of the DH. The worst idea in any sport, ever.

I'd consider instituting a one strike penalty for adjusting your batting gloves more than once.

Mike Circo
02-22-2017, 2:10 PM
I'm not sure it would be considered a "rule change" but something to improve football.

Go back to leather helmets and minuscule cloth and leather pads.

The current massive armor that the players wear has created a game played by tanks. Injuries would probably go down as no idiot would spear with the top of his head in a leather helmet (not more than once anyway). They'd be more careful with blocking and tackling if not protected by massive shoulder pads, thigh pads, helmets with airbags in them and every other appendage and area of the body protected by Kevlar armor. It would go back to a game of movement rather than "bash and smash".

paul cottingham
02-22-2017, 2:45 PM
I think the whole "silence when the Prima Donna golfer is hitting the ball" rule is ridiculous. Anyone who tries to tell me that hitting a golfball is harder than hitting a fastball or catching a pass on a sideline with a 270 lb linebacker bearing down on you while the crowd roars is full of crap.

Roger Feeley
02-22-2017, 3:12 PM
If the NFL is really serious about preventing head injuries, maybe they could change the penalty rules for really egregious infractions. Allow the team to 'bank' the yards and then spend them ad-hoc. For instance, team A commits a personal foul and the official chooses to invoke the banking rule. Team B may take all 15 yards immediately or 'bank' them for later use. On a later play in the same half, Team B can throw a special flag indicating that they would like to move the ball some number of yards.

The yards can be used offensively. So they are at 4th and 1, they move the ball a yard.

The yards could be used defensively. If Team A is just inside FG range, Team B can back them up and make the FG harder.

If both teams have banked yards, they can be used against each other. Rules for notifying the officials of the desire to use banked yards would be the same as for time out or challenges.

What they can't do is use banked yards to invalidate an event. So if Team A makes a touchdown, Team B can't back them up and invalidate the TD.

I would be fascinated to know how that would change the dynamics of the game. My feeling is that the game would become much more polite because no one would want this 'nuclear option' penalty.

Wade Lippman
02-22-2017, 3:24 PM
I'm not a hockey fan by any means but if they put in auto ejection for fighting there would be nobody left on the ice after 10 minutes except for the goalies.....and then they would probably go at it!!

After the first couple ejections, they would stop fighting. Problem solved; except the people who come to see fights wouldn't come. Oh well.

I'd like to see them ban spitting in baseball.

And thank you Lee, I always thought they routinely travel, but figured I misunderstood the rule somehow.

Dave Zellers
02-22-2017, 6:47 PM
Improving hocky is easy.
2 pucks!

Charlie Velasquez
02-22-2017, 7:26 PM
Put the student back in student-athlete in college sports.
In basketball, you make a basket you get 1 point times a function of your GPA or year in school as you progress to your degree. So a “one and done” player who rarely attends class…. versus…. a senior with a GPA of 3.9. Who do you play in the closing seconds?

Jim Becker
02-22-2017, 7:43 PM
I would like more modern attire to be acceptable under the rules for equestrian competition. :D :D :D (I don't watch baseball, basketball, hockey or even golf at this point and football...some PSU games and, perhaps the Super Bowl)

Dave Zellers
02-22-2017, 7:52 PM
I wouldn't change a thing about golf. I love watching golf on TV. Especially the Masters.
And I'm not even a golfer!

Myk Rian
02-22-2017, 8:29 PM
Get rid of restrictor plate racing in NASCAR.

Mark Blatter
02-22-2017, 10:57 PM
I wouldn't change a thing about golf. I love watching golf on TV. Especially the Masters.
And I'm not even a golfer!

Dave, to each their own. Shoot, when I was a teenager I used to watch pro-bowling on TV. I loved watching Earl The Pearl Anthony roll the ball. Watch all the golf you want.

roger wiegand
02-23-2017, 8:19 AM
Hmmm... Golf on TV. Second only to watching paint dry.

John A langley
02-23-2017, 8:54 AM
The one and done player in college sports when he signs a pro contract should I have to pay the college,on the other hand the College should have to pay a stipend to the player,also any player Who gets in trouble with the law should be done

Bert Kemp
02-23-2017, 9:07 AM
Yea no restricorplates in Nascar plus let them build engines no rules.

Jerome Stanek
02-23-2017, 10:38 AM
Nascar should be stock only

Barry McFadden
02-23-2017, 12:28 PM
Dave, to each their own. Shoot, when I was a teenager I used to watch pro-bowling on TV. I loved watching Earl The Pearl Anthony roll the ball. Watch all the golf you want.

WOW.... that brings back memories.... I used to love tuning in on a Saturday and watching Earl Anthony and his brush cut and Dick Weber, Marshall Holman, Mark Roth....and on and on....wish it was still on!!

glenn bradley
02-23-2017, 10:03 PM
Nascar should be stock only

and a disinterested party should build all the cars identically.

Jerome Stanek
02-24-2017, 6:05 AM

When I say stock I mean the way they come from the show room no mods

Paul McGaha
02-24-2017, 9:45 AM
I don't see how the cars could be stock. The drivers wouldn't survive the wrecks.

PHM

John A langley
02-24-2017, 12:49 PM
I was going to bet money this thread would go to NASCAR or to roller derby

Yonak Hawkins
02-27-2017, 10:49 AM
How about undulating floors in basketball ? Seriously, I think they should make the basketball larger in diameter in the pros .. makes the outside shot and ball handling more difficult.

dennis thompson
02-27-2017, 1:38 PM
I love watching baseball but there is too much dead time:
-once in batters box, batter can't step out, if he does a strike is called
- catcher or pitching coach can only visit the mound once in an inning, second trip by either one
,pitcher must come out
-pitcher must deliver pitch within 30 seconds of getting ball
- if the appeal of a play can't be decided in one minute the original call is kept
- not sure of this one but maybe no throwing the ball around the infield after an out:confused:

The intentional walk rule change will make almost no difference

Van Huskey
02-28-2017, 2:11 AM
I would like more modern attire to be acceptable under the rules for equestrian competition.

NOOOOOOOOO! The best part of equestrian is a woman in boots, breech and a show coat!!!! Well the dudes can wear t-shirts, cargo pants and Jordons for all I care though... :D

Van Huskey
02-28-2017, 2:39 AM
Yea no restricorplates in Nascar plus let them build engines no rules.

You can't throw out the engine formula from NASCAR unless you allow a LOT more downforce and then the cars will look like Lemans cars. A 5.8L engine built with no formula could easily be in the 1,800hp range NA and MUCH more if forced injection was allowed. F1 got current NASCAR HP figures from 3L NA engines over a dozen years ago, they have since moved down through 2.4L to 1.6L turbo V6 engines. IN the mid-80s with few restrictions BMW 1.5L turbo engines were making over 1,300hp in qualy trim in cars that weigh half of a current NASCAR with a LOT more downforce and mechanical grip.

The problem with auto racing in the 21st century is without tons of specifications and rules (a formula) cars would be undrivable for a human.

While I could wax on about every racing series I really like race events where the race distance is split in two and the second race has the order is reversed and the first heat winner starts dead last, it is the best racing you will see.

While my first love is F1 I really enjoy rally (WRC) and the Isle of Man TT. WRC showcases the epidemy of what a driver is.

Jim Becker
02-28-2017, 8:48 AM
NOOOOOOOOO! The best part of equestrian is a woman in boots, breech and a show coat!!!! Well the dudes can wear t-shirts, cargo pants and Jordons for all I care though... :D

Updating doesn't mean eschewing these things...but there's no need to be boring, either. USEF/USDF ran a design contest a year or so ago and got some awesome ideas for modern dressage attire, for example, that looked great while being more in tune with the actual athleticism involved in the equestrian sports. (And for folks not familiar, the rider does NOT just sit there...it's hard work teaming with 1200 lbs of thinking horse flesh!)

Myk Rian
02-28-2017, 9:18 AM
They do that for IROC racing.

Van Huskey
02-28-2017, 9:37 AM
Updating doesn't mean eschewing these things...

I was just being glib, but I do find the kit very attractive on a woman.

Van Huskey
02-28-2017, 10:15 AM

IROC died in 2008 though the last year of racing was in 2007 but it was really should have been named the AROC (American Race of Champions) since the majority of the races were on ovals and there as never a non-US winner and was dominated by NASCAR drivers.

ROC is the current "version" of this sort of series and is a stadium format with multiple types of cars and has been contested around the world, 2017 was in Miami. This is only a two day event with a champion and Nations Cup crowned. It has been dominated by WRC and F1 drivers and Germany has had the best luck as a team winning the nations cup 6 times in a row with Sebastian Vettel and Michael Schumacher. The US has never had an individual winner but they did win the nations cup back in the early 2000s with Jimmy Johnson, Colin Edwards and I think Jeff Gordon.

2017 was won by jack of all trades Juan Pablo Montoya and Vettel won the Nations Cup competing for Germany by himself.

As for rule changes I think I would change baseball, I game I used to love to watch but can't stomach it now. No time outs for the batter, once you step into the box it is on, if the ump feels the batter has been thrown at, intentionally or not, he MAY call time for the batter to compose himself. Pitch clock just like a basketball shot clock, from the time the ball passes over the plate the catcher/pitcher has 30 seconds to get the ball back across the plate, if he doesn't he gets a ball added to the count. Wild pitches and pass balls do NOT stop the clock, in the case of a foul ball the clock starts when the ump hands the ball to the catcher. If the NBA can run 94' set up and run a play in 24s pitchers and catchers can toss a ball back and forth in 30. If the pitcher throws to an infielder in an attempt to throw out a runner instead of pitching the clock resets when the throw crosses the plane of the base pad.

Malcolm McLeod
02-28-2017, 10:37 AM
I'm not sure it would be considered a "rule change" but something to improve football.

Go back to leather helmets and minuscule cloth and leather pads.

The current massive armor that the players wear has created a game played by tanks. Injuries would probably go down as no idiot would spear with the top of his head in a leather helmet (not more than once anyway). They'd be more careful with blocking and tackling if not protected by massive shoulder pads, thigh pads, helmets with airbags in them and every other appendage and area of the body protected by Kevlar armor. It would go back to a game of movement rather than "bash and smash".

It's then called rugby.

Jerome Stanek
02-28-2017, 11:40 AM
Make nascar with a kidney track so the drivers don't have to paint a white dot on their shoes to know which way to turn

Mike Circo
02-28-2017, 2:20 PM
It's then called rugby.

Actually, I've blundered on a rugby game or two on some sports station that's buried in the depths of my over sized cable package.
I don't know all the rules, but it indeed seems like a great spectator sport. Guys in mud, throwing themselves all over the field. Constant action. Every player seems involved. Yeah... I think I could get into rugby.

Brian Elfert
03-04-2017, 12:37 AM

IROC shut down a decade ago. Some liked the fact everything was equal across the board. Others hated it because crew chiefs couldn't put their own spin on things.

Pat Barry
03-04-2017, 10:10 AM

My god, they are changing the rules of golf (https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2017/03/01/golf-rolls-out-major-changes-to-make-rules-easier-to-understand-and-apply/?tid=pm_sports_pop&utm_term=.3067f38002c5)

Lee DeRaud
03-04-2017, 1:07 PM
I don't care for the designated hitter in MLB.I'm vaguely neutral on the subject of whether the DH is good or bad, but having different rules for the two leagues is (and always was) simply insane. It's like having different 3-point lines for the Eastern/Western Conferences in the NBA or having the goal posts at the goal line for the AFC and the back of the endzone for the NFC.

Greg Peterson
03-05-2017, 5:14 PM
Football - eliminate the facemask. Counter intuitive at first glance, but it would reduce head trauma.

Basketball - call traveling when it ocurs, not when it's committed by a bench or role player.

Baseball - if a batter wants a time out, the manager must come out and meet the batter.

Any rule th hat speeds up the play of ghe game.

Myk Rian
03-05-2017, 6:49 PM
A rule in baseball that every batter must hit a foul ball to keep the crowd happy. :rolleyes:

Chris Walls
03-05-2017, 8:01 PM
My dad , who was NOT a sports fan , always said they should allow the base runner to keep the bat. That football should have 4 , 15 min quarters , no substitutions , and the clock stayed running for each quarter.

Chris

Eric Keller
03-06-2017, 6:05 PM
I would get rid of the designated hitter. So many pitchers make a living off of throwing balls at hitters. At least make the guy stand at the plate afterwards.