PDA

View Full Version : First Post - Couple Recent Projects

John S Richards
10-14-2005, 5:01 PM
I haven't posted on this forum yet, but figured it was about time. What better way to put yourself out there than to post some of your work. So, here it goes.

My most recent project is this Maloof Style Occasional Chair built to be raffled off to raise money for the Red Cross Disaster Relief.

http://www.jsrwoodworking.com/occasionalchair/mahogocchairtour2_small.jpg

A complete photo gallery is at http://www.jsrwoodworking.com/occasionalchair/OccasionalChairGallery.htm

The project before that was my Maloof Rocker. Notice a trend here.;)

http://www.jsrwoodworking.com/images/SculputuredRockingChair/finalpics/chairtour2_small.jpg

A complete photo gallery is at
http://www.jsrwoodworking.com/RockingChair/RockingChairGallery.htm

Thanks for viewing and for allowing me to access this great resource.

John

Moderator removed link to website from signature line.-- TOS violation

Jack Hogoboom
10-14-2005, 5:03 PM
Welcome to the 'Creek. That's one heck of a first post....

Jack

Eddie Watkins
10-14-2005, 5:15 PM
WOW!! That is outstanding work. Welcome. It appears that you have much knowledge to offer.

Eddie

Jason Tuinstra
10-14-2005, 5:16 PM
John, welcome! Hope this is the first post of many more to come. Glad to see you have the pic thing down already :D

Bob Noles
10-14-2005, 5:28 PM
Welcome to the creek John.

That's some mighty fine work you have shared with us right out of the cage.

Hope to see more and look forward to hanging out with you.

Don Baer
10-14-2005, 5:29 PM
John,
Welcome to the creek and very impressive work. I took a shop tour on your web site and you have a realy impressive shop.

Dan Oliphant
10-14-2005, 5:33 PM
Super looking chair and rocker!!! Nice display of workmanship, and welcome to the creek.:)

Kent Parker
10-14-2005, 5:42 PM
Beautiful work John. Looks like you took great care to get it smooth and fair. Great photos too.

Welcome to the Creek!! Looking forward to more of your work:)

Kent

Frank Pellow
10-14-2005, 5:53 PM
Welcome to Saw Mill Creek John!

You have a very impressive shop and the work comming out of it is equally impressive.

I like to point out to new members that we have an extensive archive of valuable old threads here a a reasonable search facility for mining that archive (which I am told is soon the get better).

David Duke
10-14-2005, 6:27 PM
Pretty impressive work!! Welcome to the creek.

Bruce Page
10-14-2005, 6:31 PM
You've been wood working since 2002? Good grief!!

Welcome to the Creek. I'm looking forward to more pics of your "beginners" work! :eek: :D :eek:

lou sansone
10-14-2005, 6:41 PM
welcome to the creek. gee engineers make good woodworkers too. visited you web site. nice shop tour. nice work as well. your gonna like it here

kind regards
lou

Mike Cutler
10-14-2005, 6:47 PM
Welcome to Sawmill Creek John.
Very nice work and shop. Looking forward to seeing more of your work.

Dan Larson
10-14-2005, 7:09 PM
Welcome John-- great shop and fantastic work! I checked out your website, too. I like your assembly table. Clever bit of engineering there.

Dan

Bruce Shiverdecker
10-14-2005, 9:04 PM
Some people just HAVE TO MAKE AN ENTRANCE!!!!!!!!!!

You certainly did, John!

Welcome to the creek.

Bruce

Jim Becker
10-14-2005, 9:13 PM
Welcome to the Creek, John. 'Seems like you've been (Ma)loofing about... ;)

John S Richards
10-14-2005, 9:34 PM
Thanks for the great welcome. I'm looking forward to being an active participant of this forum. It really seems like the guys that know there stuff are here. :) I hope I qualify.

John

Ken Fitzgerald
10-14-2005, 10:01 PM
Welcome to the Creek John! You more than qualify. I can see we'll all have a chance to learn from you! Please be active! Again....Welcome!

Greg Tatum
10-14-2005, 11:39 PM
Welcome....toured your site and it is impressive, as are your WW skills.

Greg

Jim Dannels
10-15-2005, 12:15 AM
Some fine work, an awesome shop and a real nice site!
Only thing left to say is WELCOME.
Looking forward to more of your projects!

John Bailey
10-15-2005, 3:30 AM
John,

Welcome to the "Creek." I loved your shop and especially the way you have arranged it. Great way to photograph your work also. Looks like you've learned a lot in a short time. As far as "qualifiying," everybody on this site qualifies and gives freely. They qualify because of their interest, willingness to share and civility. If you've been lurking, you know what a special site this is. Welcome aboard. By the way, you started off with pictures, and that's the way we like it.

John

Dan Forman
10-15-2005, 4:17 AM
Really like the chairs, and you have a first rate shop there. Welcome, and hope to see and hear more.

Dan

Vaughn McMillan
10-15-2005, 4:24 AM
John, way to jump into the Creek with both feet. Very nice work on the chairs in particular. And leave it to a mechanical engineer to build a motorized assembly table. (I'm gonna log that one into the "ideas to borrow" book. I could really make use of that feature, and your design is simple yet effective.)

Looking forward to seeing more of you around the SMC.

- Vaughn

George Matthews
10-15-2005, 8:39 AM
Welcome to SMC!
I've browsed your site :cool: ... impressive progress and workmanship for only five years into woodworking!

John S Richards
10-16-2005, 11:42 AM
John, way to jump into the Creek with both feet. Very nice work on the chairs in particular. And leave it to a mechanical engineer to build a motorized assembly table. (I'm gonna log that one into the "ideas to borrow" book. I could really make use of that feature, and your design is simple yet effective.)

Looking forward to seeing more of you around the SMC.

- Vaughn

Gotta admit that my table is probably the 3rd evolution of the design. Vanguard, woodnet Alias, iterrated on anothers design to make his table. I took that and added the motors so I could raise it without the aide of another person. Maybe you can iterate again and make the 4th evolutionary design of the table.

Thanks again to everyone for the great welcome. I definitely am a student of woodworking. I started in Aug 2001 and have been loving every minute of it. I think it has probagated to "obsession" status now though. ;)

Thanks,

John

john whittaker
10-16-2005, 12:24 PM
Welcome John, very impressive work. Just found out last Friday that I will be going out of town on the 29th...which is troubling because I was planning to be in Hickory for the Klingspore's event. Would have been nice to see your work firsthand. Your joinery and finish are superb.

Again, welcome to SMC. Hokies are always welcome.

John S Richards
10-16-2005, 5:40 PM
Is there anyone on this forum that is going to head to the Klingspore's woodworking show on Oct 29th. If you are, you are more than welcome to come to the woodnet get together I'm holding in my shop after the show.

The schedule is to meet at the end of my demonstration on sculptural chair making around 12 o'clock. Depart the show around 1pm and head to my shop for some discussion and BBQ. Anyone is welcome who can make it.

PM if you will be able to so I can be sure to have enough food. We already have 16 signed up to be there. It will be a great time. My only request is that you buy a raffle ticket for the occasional chair. The cost of the tickets are $5 and the red cross can use all the money that they can get.

Thanks,

John

Mark Singer
10-16-2005, 6:45 PM
John, Very nice work....great joinery and finish! Welcome!

Bob Marino
10-16-2005, 7:19 PM
Welcome John. Very impressive chairs, so impressive it's making me consider another hobby.;) :D ;)

Bob

Tom Hamilton
10-16-2005, 10:02 PM
Welcome to the Creek. Your chairs are fabulous. Thanks for sharing them with us.

More to follow I hope. :)

Best Regards, TJH

Jeff Sudmeier
10-17-2005, 8:54 AM
Wow John!! Welcome to the creek! With projects like that, we are lucky to have you!

I hope that you stick around and continue to let us know what you are up to.

Rich Torino
10-17-2005, 10:32 AM
Welcome to Sawmill. Your chairs are outstanding pieces of work..
I've made a couple of chairs and I think I'd rather hit my thumb with a hammer than try another one.. BTW great photo work as well....

John S Richards
10-17-2005, 12:36 PM
Welcome to Sawmill. Your chairs are outstanding pieces of work..
I've made a couple of chairs and I think I'd rather hit my thumb with a hammer than try another one.. BTW great photo work as well....

Chairmaking does test the patience. The sculpting tests you too. In the end it really is worth it, but I've definitely done some sweating and bleeding on these. Sometimes those darn angles just won't work out.... Then how do you clamp the darn thing.... :)

John