PDA

View Full Version : Drum Sander Rolls For SuperMax

Paul Wunder
02-21-2017, 2:57 PM
Hi. Would appreciate some help.

Just bought a Supermax 19-38 drum sander and would like to reduce the abrasive cost by buying rolls that I would cut down myself.

Has anyone done that and could you recommend a brand(s) and vendors that you had success with?

Thanks

John C Bush
02-21-2017, 3:10 PM
Online industrial supply- good value @ 50 yd. rolls.

James Gunning
02-21-2017, 3:28 PM
Tried to find the supplier for the last I bought, but couldn't find the receipt. I think it was Industrial Abrasives Co. in Reading, PA. http://www.industrialabrasives.com/sanding-rolls-c-79.html?zenid=9pdjojqo471ssd6ovtm5ksl476.

glenn bradley
02-21-2017, 3:30 PM
I cut my own from Klingspor rolls but, I was already placing an order for other things. Any quality pro-level abrasive manufacturer should be fine. I stick to the cloth backings as I wash my abrasives to extend life or if loaded up by "accidentally" sanding something I shouldn't have.

Bradley Gray
02-21-2017, 3:31 PM
Klingspor has 50 yard rolls that are marked for cutting to length. Color coded for different size sanders.

John C Bush
02-21-2017, 4:05 PM
How do you "wash" the paper? liquid? solvent? floss?? Thanks, John

glenn bradley
02-21-2017, 4:11 PM
How do you "wash" the paper? liquid? solvent? floss?? Thanks, John

Drop the roll in the shop sink and run some water over it. Let it set a minute or so then run some water while I scrub it with a nylon scrub brush like you might scrub the bathtub with. Burned spoil and other junk scrubs off pretty easily. I then hang it over the sink from a dowel I have for that purpose and use a spring clamp to hold a small barbell plate to each end so it dries without curling up like a noodle. It certainly increases the usable life of the abrasives.

Cary Falk
02-21-2017, 4:19 PM
Tried to find the supplier for the last I bought, but couldn't find the receipt. I think it was Industrial Abrasives Co. in Reading, PA. http://www.industrialabrasives.com/sanding-rolls-c-79.html?zenid=9pdjojqo471ssd6ovtm5ksl476.

This is where I buy my sandpaper

Paul Wunder
02-21-2017, 6:44 PM
Thanks to all. Just the info that I needed

chase standifer
02-21-2017, 11:12 PM
Klingspor has 50 yard rolls that are marked for cutting to length. Color coded for different size sanders.

They are not color coded or marked for the 19-38 unfortunately. Hopefully this will change soon since it probably the most popular drum sander out there right especially given their move into Woodcraft.