PDA

View Full Version : Laser guru's, hoping to help a customer with lasering he needs done--

Kev Williams
02-20-2017, 11:18 PM
I have a customer who's been asking me about, and we've both searching out, lasers or someone with a laser to do what he needs done-

In short- his needs are very specific: he needs to laser cut 1mm thick x roughly 1.25" dia. stainless steel tubing. Sounds easy enough, but we can find no one around this area that can help him- everyone and their cousin can cut flat stainless, but nobody has a way to cut around a cylinder...

With some parts he's needing 50 or so holes (~6mm) around the circumference within a 5" long area, and in other parts he's cutting large holes out of the sides. This is essentially ALL he needs done. He's currently tool machining all these holes and he's looking for an easier way. He keeps asking me if my little 30w fiber will do this-- maybe, if you wait 4 hours per hole ;)..

Two options will work for him. Option one is to pay someone to do this, if he can find someone who can. Option two, which he'd like to do if possible, is to build a laser himself. He just needs to know what he needs to buy. He's an electronics whiz, and assures me he can build ANY controller to run ANY computer controlled machine. He has an old New Hermes V3400 engraver just like those I have. He says my 3400 cylinder-version would be all he needs as far as moving the parts, he just needs a laser beam up above to do the cutting, some software to control the laser and he's gold. The largest work area he would ever need would be 12 x 12" if ever flat work comes into play, however, a 6" x 2" diameter work area would more than cover his specific needs.

And to get this out of the way---- as cheaply as possible -- which may end up being option one being the best option. ;)

Maybe there's some weird argon or ruby laser or some laser 'work center' that can cut these things, but I have no clue--- I told him I'd ask the guys I know who know a lot more than I do about lasers, so I'm asking!

Thanks in advance-- :)

Gary Hair
02-20-2017, 11:53 PM
I have a customer who's been asking me about, and we've both searching out, lasers or someone with a laser to do what he needs done-

In short- his needs are very specific: he needs to laser cut 1mm thick x roughly 1.25" dia. stainless steel tubing. Sounds easy enough, but we can find no one around this area that can help him- everyone and their cousin can cut flat stainless, but nobody has a way to cut around a cylinder...

With some parts he's needing 50 or so holes (~6mm) around the circumference within a 5" long area, and in other parts he's cutting large holes out of the sides. This is essentially ALL he needs done. He's currently tool machining all these holes and he's looking for an easier way. He keeps asking me if my little 30w fiber will do this-- maybe, if you wait 4 hours per hole ;)..

Two options will work for him. Option one is to pay someone to do this, if he can find someone who can. Option two, which he'd like to do if possible, is to build a laser himself. He just needs to know what he needs to buy. He's an electronics whiz, and assures me he can build ANY controller to run ANY computer controlled machine. He has an old New Hermes V3400 engraver just like those I have. He says my 3400 cylinder-version would be all he needs as far as moving the parts, he just needs a laser beam up above to do the cutting, some software to control the laser and he's gold. The largest work area he would ever need would be 12 x 12" if ever flat work comes into play, however, a 6" x 2" diameter work area would more than cover his specific needs.

And to get this out of the way---- as cheaply as possible -- which may end up being option one being the best option. ;)

Maybe there's some weird argon or ruby laser or some laser 'work center' that can cut these things, but I have no clue--- I told him I'd ask the guys I know who know a lot more than I do about lasers, so I'm asking!

Thanks in advance-- :)

Try this link:
https://www.google.com/search?q=laser+cutting+stainless+tubing&rlz=1C9BKJA_enUS672US672&oq=laser+cutting+stainless+tubing&aqs=chrome..69i57.10364j0j7&hl=en-US&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

John Lifer
02-21-2017, 8:01 AM
Dang Cool! Id love to have one of those! Btw, watched the Kern video. Stated that his 150w would cut up to .080 which is about 2mm. Plenty of power. But more power is faster! Way cool!

Kev Williams
02-21-2017, 12:14 PM
Thanks for that Gary, my customer really loved the vid's-- now hopefully he'll start making some phone calls :)

Dave Sheldrake
02-21-2017, 7:55 PM
To cut 2mm on a 150 Kern you need oxygen, even then the edges are far from high quality and the hammon line (HAZ) is going to look pretty manky

Kev, I used to do quite a bit of tube cutting on my bigger CO2 (it has the tube autofeeder) but I would think many of the cheaper more modern Fibres from 500W up will do what he is after (it's only 1mm steel), most of the bigger Fibres already having the wiring included for a C (B) axis so adding a basic rotary will do it :)