PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Own a Good Quality Home "Weather Station?"

Rich Riddle
02-20-2017, 8:58 PM
I am looking for a "weather station" for the home that includes wind speed. Do any of you own such a weather station? We live at the top of a hill with frequent high winds and it would be nice to see what our speeds really are as opposed to the city forecasters' reports.

Lon Crosby
02-20-2017, 9:08 PM
Davis Vantage Vue https://www.amazon.com/Davis-Instruments-6250-Vantage-Wireless/dp/B002LLVFK0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1487642635&sr=8-1&keywords=davis+vantage+vue

Bill Jobe
02-20-2017, 9:15 PM
Smart phone

Wade Lippman
02-20-2017, 9:37 PM
I have one of these.
https://www.amazon.com/AcuRite-Weather-Station-Temperature-Humidity/dp/B00N1XCA9M/ref=lp_397435011_1_13?s=furniture&ie=UTF8&qid=1487644287&sr=1-13
Piece of junk. The thermometer runs very high in the sun (the cooling fan makes noise but doesn't affect the temperature) and high winds read 10 or 15 mph below reality.

I would trade up to Lon's Davis, but it gets plenty of bad reviews also.

Lon Crosby
02-20-2017, 11:38 PM
Collectively, the family has two Vues and one Pro. The two Vues have been trouble free over 4 years. The Pro is on a remote farm and its rain gauge is off at times for an unknown reason. The two Vues are interfaced to Weather Underground so can be monitored anywhere there is internet service. The Pro, in a remote location, is linked to a satellite monitoring system. Of course, we would like to upgrade but it is cost vs value.

James Baker SD
02-21-2017, 12:21 AM
I have the Davis Vantage Pro. It's OK but hardly professional. Lots of plastic parts that do not age gracefully in the hot desert sun. The rain gauge is nearly useless, it is so far off, but I may have damaged it when I was cleaning the unit up while replacing the fan on the temp/humidity sensor. Most parts are replaceable and that is nice. Internet has micro climate reporting from NAOO and the Davis usually agrees pretty well on temp, humidity, and pressure. My wind speed indicator probably is not high enough to get good reading so it is usually reading lower than NAOO. It also logs all the weather data every 15 minutes on a laptop I keep connected to it.

Howard Garner
02-21-2017, 7:17 AM
Also check out lascrosse technology.
they have a wide range of options

Matt Meiser
02-21-2017, 8:57 AM
Get the weather underground app and see if someone else has one nearby. Free.

Shawn Pixley
02-21-2017, 9:46 AM
Get the weather underground app and see if someone else has one nearby. Free.

Hey! You stole my solution 😀

Jerome Stanek
02-21-2017, 11:08 AM
When I see Weather underground I think of the militants that caused trouble at Kent State

Pat Barry
02-21-2017, 12:38 PM
I don't have the Accurite weather station but I do have the wireless Accurite temperature / humidity sensors. I have found them to be very reliable and use them for remote monitoring of temperature in three zones and have been very happy with them. I suspect that sometimes things go wrong with all types of equipment and would question if those issues weren't successfully resolved by the manufacturers / Amazon in particular.

Fred Perreault
02-21-2017, 1:22 PM
Pat, how do you avoid cross interference from the Accurite if you hav more than one wireless unit? Is there a code or something on the units to prevent getting 2 units on the same frequency?

Myk Rian
02-21-2017, 3:39 PM
The thermometer runs very high in the sun (the cooling fan makes noise but doesn't affect the temperature)
Don't mount it in the sun. It goes in the shade.

We were at the N.C. Outer Banks in Sep. All the houses have them on the roof. None of them are mounted where you would get an accurate reading.

Rich Riddle
02-21-2017, 4:04 PM
After reading your opinions as well as the reviews of stations online, I will just get the free application from Weather Underground. It won't tell the wind speed or rain totals on the hill, but it sounds like there aren't any decent ones available to do it. Perhaps this is one of those things that will improve with technology.

Shawn Pixley
02-21-2017, 4:30 PM
When I see Weather underground I think of the militants that caused trouble at Kent State

I get your point, but the Weathermen weren't at Kent State. They did most of their vandalism in Chicago, Flint, San Luis Obispo and NYC. It was simply students protesting at Kent State.

Dave Lehnert
02-21-2017, 6:09 PM
Guess it all depends what you want to spend.
I looked at the Weather Underground web site and they list this weather station compatible with their website. Gets good reviews.
https://www.amazon.com/Ambient-Weather-WS-1001-WIFI-Monitoring-Radiation/dp/B00PSV10UK/

I was kinda surprised at how many stations were located around me.

Myk Rian
02-21-2017, 6:29 PM
Wind speeds and directions for the US.
http://hint.fm/wind/

Mike Chance in Iowa
02-21-2017, 8:35 PM
We use Weather Underground all the time and we added a PWS recommended by them made by Ambient Weather (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00O9YIEJW/ref=s9_acsd_hps_bw_c_x_4_w). It was super-easy to set up and it's solar and wireless. Yes, we can use other stations nearby, but we wanted the fun to see how different the wind patterns blow in our area. We know it's not the ideal setup for wind because of the location of the station between the house & shop, as well as the neighbor's "wall of trees" ... but we do know that when that PWS receives a blast of wind, it's much worse higher up in the trees!

We are not super-serious about the weather. It's just for our fun as well as knowing what the weather conditions our farm critters are dealing with when we take off for a weekend. We didn't need or want all the bells and whistles that more scientific stations can offer. We view the data on our iphones or on the computer. We felt we didn't need the additional console.

We also have these great little gadgets (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008NOHMVA/ref=s9_acsd_hps_bw_c_x_8_w?th=1)that have a sensor outside and we can quickly see how cold it is before heading outside to deal with critters. We bought extras to give as gifts. Everyone we have given them to love them because they are so handy and simple.

Lee Schierer
02-21-2017, 10:08 PM
Also check out lacrosse technology.
they have a wide range of options

I have a Lacrosse and have had issues with receiver location. Their estimates of distances from the remote to the receiver are overly optimistic, particularly for the rain gauge. They claim 200 feet, but I have problems with anything over 100 feet of separation. The rain gauge has to be within 25 feet. Also you will want to run lithium batteries in the remote and the receiver. I get about a year of service from a set of lithiums. I get only a month or two from regular alkaline batteries.

Stewie Simpson
02-22-2017, 1:03 AM

Hopefully we are not referring to what happened under Nixon.

Jerome Stanek
02-22-2017, 6:38 AM
[QUOTE=Shawn Pixley;2662135]I get your point, but the Weathermen weren't at Kent State. They did most of their vandalism in Chicago, Flint, San Luis Obispo and NYC. It was simply students protesting at Kent State.[/QUOTE

It was more than students protesting there were a lot of outsiders there. I was there were you