PDA

View Full Version : Dream Jointer & Planer

Dan Schmidt
02-19-2017, 11:03 PM
Shop space is a premium for me after installing a euro slider. This year I am going to upgrade the jointer and planer, and I'm considering a combo machine. Which option would you choose:

a) Powermatic 209HH 20" Planer with byrd head + Delta DJ20 8" Jointer w/ byrd head
b) Felder AD941 Combo 16" Jointer/Planer
c) Another choice? Want best I can get, minimize footprint but not regret switching machine modes, and stay below $12k for both machines

Dan

Darcy Warner
02-19-2017, 11:12 PM
PM221 and a Yates american/porter/Northfield/oliver, etc.

Andy Giddings
02-20-2017, 12:04 AM
If you're considering Felder I would also look at the comparable SCM/MiniMax offering

Peter Aeschliman
02-20-2017, 10:41 AM
#2 (or other comparable combo machine)!

It's so much easier to mill lumber when your jointer and planer have the same capacity. I know there are work-arounds to make your jointer flatten a wider board than its capacity, but it's more of a hassle than just running it through. At 16", you will rarely need more capacity. And you said space is at a premium.

David Kumm
02-20-2017, 11:01 AM
Separates if you have the room. 16" jointer with tersa if new, straight knife if old. Plane at 20" with either Tersa or insert. When you get into bigger machines three phase is the way to go. If space limited, buy the heaviest JP with the thickest table castings ground flat and the heaviest steel base. 5-6MM thick steel. If you like old, the Oliver 399 and 166 are a great choice for less than 12K. I run a SAC 530 and a Porter cm300 16" as my everyday. The 399 and 166 are sitting in storage because I like to experiment, not because the other are better. Dave

Hoang N Nguyen
02-20-2017, 11:03 AM
I have the powermatic 15" planer and their 8" jointer, both with the byrd cutter head and I love them both. While at the old shop, I did consider a combo machine (due to space) but didn't like the idea of having to flip tables to go from planing to jointing and vise versa. IF I had to get a combo machine, felder would be on the top of the list. From all the reading and research I've done along with feedback from other members here on the creek, it sounds like a great solid machine.

Warren Lake
02-20-2017, 11:54 AM
think Martin makes a combo machine since you are talking combo.

mreza Salav
02-20-2017, 11:58 AM
If you have a wide sander, you will benefit from having a wide combo vs. a narrower jointer and wider planer.
I have a 14" J/P and it has served 99% of my needs. If it had longer and wider beds I'd be happier.

Will Boulware
02-20-2017, 12:09 PM
Dream setup? I'll take my Crescent 24" jointer and I'd add an Oliver 2279 planer since we're dreaming.

If space is an issue, I still might get the biggest old jointer you can fit and find a decent small footprint 18" planer like the Oliver 399 mentioned above. For reference, my Crescent jointer table is 27" wide and about 7 feet long. Add a bit of width for the belt drive, etc. but it really isn't much harder to walk around than my 6" was given where I put it. I'm in a 2 car garage and use a Dewalt 734 for planing duties until I can find a good 18 or 24" planer to replace it with. Get your layout right and you can fit some surprisingly large stuff in a small space and still have room to walk around.

Since you mentioned dream setup, make sure you get something bigger than an 8" jointer if you have access to lumber that could use it. I've never used a combination machine, but the good ones look like they offer the best use of space if you're ok with the changeover time.

keith wootton
02-20-2017, 12:27 PM
i had a 208/209 planer and long bed 8 inch jointer. now have felder ad 741. it takes up about the same footprint that the planer had with the roller feed tables. so, now i have the extra space that the old jointer took up, and the quality of the felder shines, shines, shines! i am a hobby furniture maker and time switching doesn't bother me, but i do notice it isn't as quick as using one machine, turning around and using the other. if i were doing production, or even more than one piece every few weeks to month, might feel different. i wouldn't pick the 209 though, never really liked it. repeatable digital accuracy within a couple thousands of an inch was something i never got with with the powermatic, and now i expect it of the felder

Chris Hachet
02-20-2017, 12:34 PM
Dream setup? I'll take my Crescent 24" jointer and I'd add an Oliver 2279 planer since we're dreaming.

If space is an issue, I still might get the biggest old jointer you can fit and find a decent small footprint 18" planer like the Oliver 399 mentioned above. For reference, my Crescent jointer table is 27" wide and about 7 feet long. Add a bit of width for the belt drive, etc. but it really isn't much harder to walk around than my 6" was given where I put it. I'm in a 2 car garage and use a Dewalt 734 for planing duties until I can find a good 18 or 24" planer to replace it with. Get your layout right and you can fit some surprisingly large stuff in a small space and still have room to walk around.

Since you mentioned dream setup, make sure you get something bigger than an 8" jointer if you have access to lumber that could use it. I've never used a combination machine, but the good ones look like they offer the best use of space if you're ok with the changeover time.Nice to see love for older American machines here.

Ben Rivel
02-20-2017, 12:34 PM
If I could justify a Felder, Id go that way for sure. Im saving my pennies for a Hammer, you could check out the Hammer A3-41 too.

David Zaret
02-20-2017, 3:24 PM
think Martin makes a combo machine since you are talking combo.

indeed they do. if you're willing to break your $12k barrier, consider the martin combo. i have it with tersa knives, it's a beast and handles literally anything i can throw at it.

i'd rather have separate martins, sure, but barring that, this is a terrific machine. but you can't get it for $12k.

good luck with your purchase.

--- dz

Robert LaPlaca
02-20-2017, 3:46 PM
Yes, the Martin TP300, is a 530mm jointer/planer. The machine is built by Griggio (Italy) for Martin and the machine was around 19k, in 2012 ish.

Warren Lake
02-20-2017, 4:14 PM
Hmmm so the Martin is made by Griggio? then I wonder who made my Griggio, SCM ?:) My Maytag Washer and dryer turns out were made by Amana. If I knew that in the first place would not have bought them. I must be getting old.

Bill Adamsen
02-20-2017, 5:08 PM
Separates and used machines would be the way to go. An Oliver Pattermakers or Porter or whatever is for sale close by in 12" or 16" would be fine. An 8' long (or longer) jointer is preferred. If it comes with the grinder all the better. For a planer as large as you can move and power. As Dave suggested, I too am partial to a Tersa or similar head where the planing depth doesn't change with a blade change, and blade changes can be easily accomplished. Digital (manual or electronic) depth of cut is a must have. The budget you've set will give you lots of flexibility.

The issue with a combo machine is that the jointer will be larger than you need and the tables likely too short, and the planer smaller than ideal. Plus as others have mentioned, switching does impact workflow.

Mel Fulks
02-20-2017, 6:10 PM
Hey,Warren! Remember those commercials about the Maytag repairman being "the loneliest guy in town" ? Must be because he won't work on anything not made by Maytag....one of those The Rest Of The Story radio stories.

Warren Lake
02-20-2017, 7:45 PM
Hi Mel,

yeah im old enough I do, and Get Smart, Beverly Hillbillies, Green Acres and and even cigarette commercials. I had old stuff for years worked fine. 125.00 for a well used Inglis washer and drier sitting in the pizza store. Had a friend in the bus. Very good at it always kept me running. One day he says maybe you should look at new stuff. Scouped new matching Maytag washer and dryer. Im really moving up in the world whats next a new car? so few years in just one person using it not overloading it washer starts to leak. He comes up says its the transmission, in the past we rebuilt all this stuff now parts for it from China blah blah wont last that long. I said so thats it?

Hes in his 50's said when he was 18 and doing this repair said he made more money they rebuilt all this stuff now its throw away and on top traffic in the city is so bad he can only do half as many calls. He also said hes not impressed with the new stuff, circuit boards in his mind are not meant to be around heat water and vibration. Since we've put my mom into an old folks storage wharehouse I asked about her washer and dryer. She said sure take them both. They are 40 or more year old Maytag. They look funny like art deco one or two knobs on them type thing. A year or two ago the dryer stopped heating. The friend came over, five seconds says needs a new heat element. Suggests fix it. He calls up for the part and they say yeah got three of them on the shelf. :) The good old days.

I think I looked at parts to do the repair as well, ive done a fair bit of car repair stuff but thinking about it just thought I was ticked that it wasnt even maytag so decided not to put any time into it.

Rod Sheridan
02-21-2017, 9:14 AM
I would pick the combination jointer planer.

I have a 310mm (12 inch) J/P, it replaced a couple of General separates.

I wouldn't go back, the space savings and increase in capacity were great, as I have a small shop.

I have the Hammer A3-31, you wouldn't go wrong with it, or a Felder or a Mini Max machine.............Regards, Rod.

P.S. Of course you wouldn't go wrong with a Martin either:D

Van Huskey
02-21-2017, 11:53 AM
IMO the only reasons to get a combo machine is space and/or budget. That said the 8" DJ you listed is IMO too small for your budget and for me a planer wider than 15" needs segmented infeed rollers to take full advantage of the width. Of your listed choices the Felder would be my choice but I would likely use the budget in a different way with a 12" jointer and 15-20" planer.

John TenEyck
02-21-2017, 12:26 PM
You will never regret getting a wide jointer. In my world, width is far more important than bed length, even though I regularly handle 6 to 8' long stock. A 16" J/P has far more value to me than a 20" planer with only an 8" jointer. I have a 14" MiniMax J/P, and often wish it were a 16". From the criteria you listed, the widest J/P you can find is your best option.

John

Jim Becker
02-21-2017, 8:54 PM
Combo would be my choice for sure. The Felder is nice, but you should also look at the MiniMax FS41 Elite, IMHO.

John Seybold
02-21-2017, 10:22 PM
I have the Felder AD 741 combination machine. It's pretty good - you can read my review of it here: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?230574-Felder-AD-741-Jointer-Planer-Review

If space is tight, I think the combo is the way to go. I'm pretty sure Felder is having a sale on the 741 or 941 right now.