PDA

View Full Version : Importing used machines from Canada (Quebec) to USA (Vermont)

Andrew Russell
02-19-2017, 10:01 PM
Hi there,

I am wondering if anyone has experience buying used equipment from a private seller, in Canada (Quebec) and bringing it back to the USA?

I am a finish carpenter and I make chairs on the side. I have always bought used machines, because I do not have the resources to buy new. I have been fortunate over the years and acquired some great machines.

Living in Vermont, in my experience, there is not a huge market of used tools. I have bought most equipment in New Hampshire, Massachusetts or Connecticut (I think simply because of greater population).

I am currently setting a small shop and am looking for a used 14" General 130 planer.

I have found 2 General 130 planers for sale near Montreal Quebec, which is roughly 2 hours away. Being the home of General Machinery, and with a population of over 4 million, it seems like an easier place to find a used 130 planer.

From my understanding, residential voltage is also 120volts in Quebec, so that's not an issue.

Any advice would be appreciated! I am going to try to contact a customs officer, but figured I would ask here as well!

David Kumm
02-20-2017, 12:02 AM
I've never made the trip myself but have freighted a few machines in. There are freight companies that do all the paperwork and charge you the fees. The last machine was a 2600 lb lathe. Freight was 500 from Quebec to Wisconsin and about 400 for all the fees. Dave

Lee Schierer
02-20-2017, 8:28 AM
Years ago, I purchased my band saw new in Canada at a woodworking show. I had no problem bringing it back across the border. I just had to declare the saw and show the bill of sale. At that time there was no fee that I had to pay. You might find this information useful. Customs Duty (https://www.cbp.gov/travel/international-visitors/kbyg/customs-duty-info)

Andrew Russell
07-17-2017, 11:29 PM
Thank you both, David and Lee for replying to my post about buying tools in Canada. I was able to buy the 14 inch General planer outside of Montreal earlier this year. I told the border agent that it was for hobby use. He asked me a bunch of questions and gave me grief and said "we'll let it slide this time", but I wasn't very worried about it, because it is a small machine. I think I may have had more trouble if the machine were manufactured outside of Quebec. I also think that if the machine were larger I would have had to pay a customs duty.

If I end up going over the border again with larger equipment, I will post another update. Thanks

Curt Harms
07-18-2017, 6:48 AM
I thought NAFTA pretty much did away with Customs charges for products manufactured in a NAFTA country?

George Makra
07-18-2017, 7:00 AM
There HZ are 50 not 60 like the US the machine will run slightly slower.

Rod Sheridan
07-18-2017, 7:50 AM
There HZ are 50 not 60 like the US the machine will run slightly slower.

Incorrect, our single phase supply for houses is 120/240V 60 hertz.

Our 3 phase voltage is different, it's 600V versus 480V in the USA..............Rod.

John Lankers
07-18-2017, 10:06 AM
I thought NAFTA pretty much did away with Customs charges for products manufactured in a NAFTA country?

Yeah, but you still have to declare your purchase at customs and produce the original bill of sale, fill out the appropriate forms if applicable, CSA compliance for commercial use when going North, compliance with agricultural regulations, different firearms regulations ..... and the list goes on.
In a nutshell: It could be a lot worse :).

Mike King
07-18-2017, 10:58 AM
Incorrect, our single phase supply for houses is 120/240V 60 hertz.

Our 3 phase voltage is different, it's 600V versus 480V in the USA..............Rod.

Quebec is isolated from the rest of the North American AC electrical grid and runs 50 HZ as opposed to 60 HZ in the rest of the continent.

Mike

fRED mCnEILL
07-18-2017, 11:49 AM
My experience with customs (bringing stuff into Canada from US) is that if it is for personal use there is no problem but if its comercial they want you to go through a broker. Vehicles, of course, are a different story. I would call up US customs and ask them. I dont think its much different that someone on holidays bringing stuff back.There is a limit on how much you can bring back before having to pay duty,taxes etc. and that is usually dependent on how long you were out of the country.

Doug Garson
07-18-2017, 12:14 PM
Quebec is isolated from the rest of the North American AC electrical grid and runs 50 HZ as opposed to 60 HZ in the rest of the continent.

Mike
What's your source for this Mike? I think Rod is correct.

Wade Lippman
07-18-2017, 1:23 PM
Hydro Quebec says it is 60hz. Or course, they only say it in French.

We bought a dog in Canada (had him flown from NS to Toronto, and drove him home from there). At the border they asked if we bought anything. I answered just the dog, not having any idea what to expect. He didn't react at all, and told us to go on.

Rod Sheridan
07-18-2017, 3:45 PM

Mike

That's funny.

I'm an Electrical Technologist who works in Quebec, I guarantee you it's 60 Hz............Rod.

Bill Dufour
07-18-2017, 4:40 PM
Better do it before Trump pulls the USA out of NAFTA and slaps duties on all incoming stuff.
Bill

rudy de haas
07-19-2017, 9:06 AM
1) I'd be careful about buying things in Quebec. Make sure, for example, that it is old enough to have been made in Canada, not imported from China and relabeled - because the NAFTA rules only apply if the thing is genuinely "made in Canada". Similarly, a bill of sale in French will not be rejected at the border but may cause a considerable slowdown if you draw the wrong agent.

2) in general, the least hassle way of getting stuff across the border is to use a shipping company that handles paperwork for you. It costs money, but you know in advance what things cost and when things arrive.

3) if you put the machine in your pickup and drive across the border your hassle factor will depend almost entirely on the agent you draw. The vast majority (on the American side, it's reversed coming into Canada) will make things as quick and easy for you as the rules allow. Have your paperwork in order and you should have no problems. CSA and UL are accepfed on both sides of the border, newer gear will be 220V/60Hz, safety requirements are similar, etc. Check with customs to get the right forms, fill em out clearly, and .. :)

4) exchange rates are wildly in your favor today, but don't forget you'll be paying US border fees/taxes (if any) in US dollars.

David Kumm
07-19-2017, 10:40 AM
If I remember correctly, the additional fees charged by the Freight company to handle the paperwok and taxes came to about $200 US or less for a 2500 USD used machine purchase shipped from Canada to US. Shipping was extra of course. Given the exchange rate, still a good deal. Lots of machines are 550-600v so factoring the cost of a transformer is also necessary in my world. Dave

andrew whicker
07-19-2017, 4:08 PM
as an aside and general curiosity:

Are there any routes in and out of Canada that go 'unguarded'? I thought some of the middle of nowhere roads were like this.

(not trying to get away with anything. Just generally curious how invested the government is in our very dangerous / sketchy northern neighbor)

Edit: This is totally off topic, so feel free to delete.. Anyway, here is the Quora question and answer: https://www.quora.com/Are-there-really-parts-of-the-US%E2%80%93Canada-border-that-are-unprotected-such-as-this-one

Kind of interesting.

Peter Christensen
07-19-2017, 4:34 PM
The border is monitored along the entire length with listening devices, cameras, ground and air patrols, and radar. All that good stuff your government developed for war. ;) Try and run it if you like.

John Lankers
07-20-2017, 5:20 PM
True, but how come there are so many "Undesirables, Wanted Criminals" sneaking across claiming to be refugees and applying for political asylum?

Wade Lippman
07-21-2017, 2:34 PM
The border is monitored along the entire length with listening devices, cameras, ground and air patrols, and radar. All that good stuff your government developed for war. ;) Try and run it if you like.

A couple years ago (it may have changed by now...) I was staying in Niagara Falls Cananda. I went for a run, basically sightseeing. I ran across a bridge and found myself in the US, without anyone even talking to me. I hurried up and went back the same way while I could.

A couple years ago (it may have changed by now...) I got lost in Vermont and found myself in Canada. Before hitting Canadian Customes I made a U turn and went back into the US. At Customs I explained how I got lost and they waved me in without any questions. Anyone coming from Cananda could have done the same thing.

I know boaters who go from NY across the Lake to Ontario. The docks have sign in sheets, but no one bothers.

So I expect it is possible in the populated East. I presume it is much easier out west.

Mike Kees
07-21-2017, 7:23 PM
I have bowhunted antelope right on the border between Montana and Alberta and the only thing there is a real good barbwire fence with like five strands of wire and posts slightly closer together than the average fence. Every second or third post was white. I hopped the fence to take a leak...:)